People that own an original brass Super Ludwig snare: Have you bought (or played) the re-issue version? How do they compare? How do they differ?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a brass snare that I'd like to keep as a "lifetime" drum. I've always been a huge Ludwig fan, so that narrows it down. I've also always wanted a 6.5x14 Super Ludwig, but the original is far too pricey/rare for me to afford, and even if i could, I'd be too afraid to gig with it. And I'm perfectly ok with the updated throw-off on the new version.

But I haven't seen any threads about the reissue thing. Does it suck? Is it just ok? Does it rip? Or does no one here own one?

Thanks!

(Let me know if this is the wrong place for this — I know it's about a modern drum but I wanted the opinion of people that own the old one)

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll let the Ludwig experts answer better than I can. I used to own a 20s Pioneer, nice drum but was too finicky. I'm only commenting because I recently bought my "lifer" 6.5" brass snare drum and its a Joyful Noise NOB. I can't imagine expecting anymore out of a drum, and I'll gig it with no worries as its solid as a rock. Used ones come up often enough and IMO worth the couple $ more you'll pay over any new Ludwig. Good luck on your hunt.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are many threads out there that usually starting with “Is my Supra COB”. Google seems to a better DFO search method when compared to this sites version. I’d be surprised if a video on YouTube doesn’t exist, at least for the 5”, to give you a general idea. Putting COB hoops on a reissue would likely help match the sound. Seamless vs seamed may be of less influence however the deeper crimped beds are an important difference. Perhaps the warmth of a 1980 bronze with COB hoops might bring it in the same family of sound. eBay has a 6.5x14 80s B/O bronze for $500 shipped. Don’t know the seller or that particular drum yet if it’s legitimate you can certainly get your money back. The LM402 is close but also expensive. I bet the Reissue used for 350-400 sounds pretty damn good. Happy selection/hunting.

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought my "lifer" 6.5" brass snare drum and its a Joyful Noise NOB. I can't imagine expecting anymore out of a drum, and I'll gig it with no worries as its solid as a rock. Used ones come up often enough and IMO worth the couple $ more you'll pay over any new Ludwig. Good luck on your hunt.
Thanks dude! Wow, I'd never heard of that snare/company until now, and I'm severely impressed. I guess even though I'm talking about a "snare for life," that's still about $6-700 more than what I was thinking of spending. I can't seem to find any on sale anyway haha. But they're absolutely gorgeous and it looks like they'd hold their value incredibly well, so it's definitely something to watch for in the future.

That said, if I'm going to spend that much, it'll either be on the aforementioned trans-badge 6.5x14 Super Ludwig, or save $500 and build the Duluth Brass of my dreams! :)

But honestly thanks for the heads up, cool sheeet!

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
If you're talking about the "Super Brass" you can see it played against other current Ludwig models in these videos. They don't compare the old models to the new but could still be helpful.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
That 500.00 BO badge 6.5 Bronze on Ebay is quite a drum. Condition on it is a little rough. But if it was pristine, I feel that it would be priced higher. The newer brass models that I have heard sounded really nice. I had a 6.5 Black Beauty (brass) that was a 2015 or so. It sounded fantastic.

Mike

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you can accept a 5x14 this is an option. Shell, bottom hoop, knob, and lugs look legit. It will likely sell soon on the BIN. It’s a pretty good price. Don’t know the seller.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
If you can accept a 5x14 this is an option. Shell, bottom hoop, knob, and lugs look legit. It will likely sell soon on the BIN. It’s a pretty good price. Don’t know the seller.

That was a very nice deal indeed!

Mike

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 5 and 6.5 transition badge Supers. They’re both killer drums. Get a 5, I doubt you’ll be sorry.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first re-issue was this 1990s one with the Oval plate..

I remember that much +/-