People that take apart drums and sell the pieces are horrible humans.

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
It drives me insane when I find a drum shell on ebay that I really like, and then find a listing by the same seller for all the lugs, one for rims, tom mounts, ect. Just keep it together. It's bad enough to break apart a kit, but to piece it out more than that is criminal.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people just need a lug or a rim or a tom mount and are happy they don't have to buy a whole drum.

egw

Reaction score
I feel the same way every time I see what was until recently a small piece of farmland being split up into 20 miniscule plots barely big enough for a house, and each being sold at some ridiculous price. It's greed, pure greed.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can’t agree with this entirely. The drum world needs parts and a lot of makers quit supporting old lines a long time ago.

If someone is out there consistently parting out good drums as a profit driven business model and they stare at the cheque when it’s their turn, then they may be a horrible human being

It is an idealist position to take until you need a part for your “68” Rogers kit, then that person just became your best friend.

These insane shipping costs are not going to help your cause either. The shell is what causes the shipping cost to cut into sellers bottom line.

D0D39B33-AA67-4EF7-8526-9D0E658F2DCF.jpeg

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I feel the same way every time I see what was until recently a small piece of farmland being split up into 20 miniscule plots barely big enough for a house, and each being sold at some ridiculous price. It's greed, pure greed.
In Ohio 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots going for $15,000.00 to $25,000.00 is downright insane!!!

Reactions: egw

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I've done it. A lot. If the donor drum was in great shape, no. If it had flaws -- marred finish, extra holes, missing or damaged parts already -- what's the harm? I'm sure that's the scenario with most "chop-shops." Same goes with full drum sets; say if bass drum had a poorly done "upgrade" to the tom-holder, part it out.
If a drum, or a drum-set is in very good condition, and it's a desirable or rare vintage/finish, it's worth more intact.

As a bonus, parting-out drums/sets ended up giving me an excess of vintage parts, with which I was often able to "save" a lot vintage drums.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I can't totally agree either. Years ago I had 2 lugs on my drums break. One broke when I tried to put the screw back it after it fell out inside the drum. The threaded hole broke off the back of the lug. This happened on my floor Tom and one on my rack tom. My kit is a cheap pulse percussion kit which is not in major production anymore. Very hard to find matching parts for. If it had't been for someone partying out drumsets I never would have matched those 2 lugs and would have had to replace all the lugs on my toms and bass drum. So I say if the shells are damaged but you can salvage the rest to give another drummer and his kit life again then I say it's a good thing.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I agree when it's " gretsch Catalina" and low line..New low line taken apart and sold as pieces.... I see that in Gretsch searches all the time..

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
My solution is that I’m simply no longer selling anything cheaply. I’ve seen a few old drums of mine scrapped out, and a few cymbals sold at begged-for “forum bro” discounts resold for half-again as much, and I’m done leaving much room for a flip.

I make money for somebody else at my job. I’ll set myself on fire before I do it as a hobby.

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I do agree that if the shell is beyond repair, then selling the hardware from it is absolutely fine. My problem is when I see decent shell for sale, then the same person is also selling all the lugs in a another listing, the rims elsewhere, ect.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
It certainly is a drag when you are looking for a specific drum, but, in my experience from buying WAAAY to much gear over the years, rare drums or rare finishes are very rarely parted out. They are usually worth more as the whole package. Common drums may be gutted for parts, but, if they are common, other examples will be relatively plentiful. The parts are worth more than the whole. We're primarily talking about old Ludwig drums I guess. Also some Slingerland, etc.

Occasionally a rare drum, say a 14x14 3 ply floor tom, will be parted out. These cases are certainly a drag, but, such is the vintage drum life.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Start paying more for vintage drums- and you won't see them parted out anymore. It really is as simple as that. Nobody is parting out 1960's Gibsons or Fenders anymore. The few parts you still see that are 60's original are insanity priced- but still aren't high enough to warrant chopping up anything but a basketcase.