People that take apart drums and sell the pieces are horrible humans.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.....
What bothers me are folks who buy solely to "flip", or if someone announces a cool score and the vultures chime in right away about flipping it.
We may also be "splitting hairs", as each scenario may be different but same deal....damned et al...
bt

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
If it’s done responsibly and logically, and the donor instrument is beyond repair, I think it’s good to allow the instruments that need those parts to live on.
Well said, Thejohnlec...say, if the shell is badly damaged and the rest of the parts can help out some of us drummers ,, why not? I think it would benefit other drummers and the drum community as a whole. They do it with antique cars; someone buys a parts car, takes what they need, sells some remaining parts to other enthusiasts to help them with their projects and all are happy.
Personally, I wouldn't part out a perfectly good drum but that is just me ...

Slingwig26

Reaction score
It drives me insane when I find a drum shell on ebay that I really like, and then find a listing by the same seller for all the lugs, one for rims, tom mounts, ect. Just keep it together. It's bad enough to break apart a kit, but to piece it out more than that is criminal.
It can be annoying but maybe you can negotiate a better price to buy all together.

m.clover

Reaction score
I disagree. I had a Ludwig Club Date set from 1965. I never like the look of the set (but love the sound; I've had a lot of drummers ask me how I get them to sound so good. Not me I tell them, WFL & Co.) so I decided to go with double lugs. I parted out my Club Date lugs and bought the parts I needed for the change over. Re-wrapped in black oyster pearl and I'm very happy with the set, as is the guy I sold the old parts to.

Attachments

kerryprance

Reaction score
It drives me insane when I find a drum shell on ebay that I really like, and then find a listing by the same seller for all the lugs, one for rims, tom mounts, ect. Just keep it together. It's bad enough to break apart a kit, but to piece it out more than that is criminal.
Like cars...Makes all the difference in the world if the complete drum was damaged beyond use or collect ability.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice drums should stay together. Don't part me out, pooder...

HOWEVER, and this might be another topic, just because a shell isn't perfect doesn't mean it can't be used, enjoyed, and played. When I was putting my most recent vintage Mod Orange kit together I didn't have the money to buy one all at once. I bought a 12", a 13", a 16" and a 22" separately when I found one I could afford. When I got to the 22" bass drum there were very few to choose from, and they were selling for close to $1000 each. I'm cheap. I found one that was decent except for the cracks in the top of the shell, and I mean big cracks that split the wrap. It was only $300. While it ain't pretty, it did the job and allowed me to complete the kit. Even though I have more money now and can afford a "nicer" one, I like the sound and price of the one I have. Besides, off the stage you don't see or hear cracks in the wrap!

Stretch

Attachments

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
I can’t agree with this entirely. The drum world needs parts and a lot of makers quit supporting old lines a long time ago.

If someone is out there consistently parting out good drums as a profit driven business model and they stare at the cheque when it’s their turn, then they may be a horrible human being

It is an idealist position to take until you need a part for your “68” Rogers kit, then that person just became your best friend.

These insane shipping costs are not going to help your cause either. The shell is what causes the shipping cost to cut into sellers bottom line.

View attachment 449173
Keep in mind- “shipping” charges ain’t just postage. There is DIMM weight, packaging and paying someone to do it right.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind- “shipping” charges ain’t just postage. There is DIMM weight, packaging and paying someone to do it right.
I hear you and do agree though try telling that you are charging “handling and packing” charges to some sellers.

I was referring to what the shipper is actually charging. For example, I recently shipped a snare drum to Canada, shipping charges were $80+/- and the box got stuck at customs for over three weeks. As a result I no longer ship to Canada.

I also have a package stilling in German Customs for over a month. The seller is understanding at this point but one way or another I have to make it right. As a result I will no longer ship to Europe.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I also find the parting out of perfectly good drums sad. People usually don't buy cars that are running and in good shape just to part it out for an existing car they own. That said I wanted to change my black dw lugs from snare to chrome lugs, it was just easier to buy from one of these scrapers because it seemed DW wouldn't just let me buy 10 lugs without sending my black ones back to them. I don't know if they give you a credit or discount(doubt it) but this was the easier way.

I actually have another dw snare that has black hardware but I want it to have chrome. As luck would have it, I have a dw brass snare that I've been trying to flip but no one is interested so I'm thinking taking the listing down and swapping the hardware out rather than trying to find the parts this time

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend asked me to keep an eye out for a '60 Rogers WMP tom. Yesterday a bare shell showed up on eBay. The price, but the costs of parts was still acceptable to my friend. He somehow found the phone contact for the seller and asked him for some more info. Turns out the seller had all the parts to put it back together. Looks like he was stripping a good drum and selling it piece by piece. Or maybe he just happen to have a bunch of parts laying around? Guess that is possible.............

Seller was pvca_77 on eBay.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Ill say it again....lets go topple a statue that'll teach them. Maybe we can get some social justice warriors to cancel the offenders right off the planet.
I just wont know what is safe anymore if just one more drum gets taken.......oh the humanity( as Numans truck goes up in flames.)
Get the pitchforks? Just in case? Im ready.

thestorysold

Reaction score
On topic, I'm sure some of you will recognize this...….
FOR YOUR DRUM SET!
I can't believe some of the prices on their stuff. there's a 70's Acrolite shell for $180 plus shipping. by the time you're done buying everything for that you're looking at well over $300. you can find ones in excellent to mint condition for way cheaper than that.

Latest posts