Percussion-y things attached to sticks

antipodes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rhythmtech have just introduced a "stickball" and "stick jingl-er" (TM) - essentially a mini shaker and mini tambourine respectively that affix to the stick (haven't worked out how but probably rubber band kind of things.

http://www.rhythmtech.com/

I do a lot of stuff where having a tambourine and shaker effects might be interesting because I already play a lot using actual maraccas and am constantly using a hi-hat mounted tambourine/ching-ring.

Anyone used either of these products, do they work well and how much do they inhibit your playing (for the most part of I'm thinking they'd be useful on straight eighth note stuff).

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a jingle stick like this one. I have run a drumstick up between the two sets of jingles and taped it all together with duct tape. I use it for a couple of tunes a night. Rock stuff. Nothing that requires finess because it affects your grip but it still works. I've had mine for years. Any drummer who sees it always asks me about it.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is mine. I went out to the car and dug it out of my stick bag. It has seen better days. I broke two sets of jingles off a few years ago. Probably broke them on a hoop . I use it in my right hand and play 8ths while hitting the hats or cymbals on quarter notes. Also good for other effects.

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a stickball and works and sounds fine. Not too much weight on the stick and easy to get used to.
One of these days I am going to get a jingler too.

This Billy Ward video below is a pretty accurate example of the stickball in action.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jim Keltner, said that is an Important thing most drummers miss, He said you should always have something else in your hands besides the sticks, to add texture or layering to the music!! some type of effect!! :occasion5:

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a stickball on one of my orphan sticks. I bought it a couple months ago. I used it, but forgot about it...

Last rehearsal, a song really needed it. I looked under the floor tom & there it was. About 5 seconds after incorporating it into the song my singer said "That's what I'm talking about".... It is very cool & easy to deal with. I have mine mounted on a smaller stick than I normally use because of the added weight.

I like the stickball a lot. A jingle stick will be the next thing I purchase.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many years ago Ludwig or Slingerland used to have in their catalog something called a "fold rock jingle stick." Never saw one in person.
In the old 1920s and '30s catalogs I remember seeing some sticks with tambourine jingles attached as well.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found this tucked away in my drumroom. About 8 years ago when my son was in highschool, he made this stick in his shop class. I had been using my homemade job for a few years and he decided to try to design one. I forget why he couldn't get the shoulder and tip down to a normal size, but there was some reason. I forget now. He got the jingles off of a toy tamborine, and put them on with nails and ground down the prodruding points. I think he got a decent mark on it. lol!

He mailed it to Vic Firth and got it back a month later wrapped in a T-Shirt and a thank you note!

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim Keltner, said that is an Important thing most drummers miss, He said you should always have something else in your hands besides the sticks, to add texture or layering to the music!! some type of effect!! :occasion5:

Glenn Kotche does some really neat stuff with homegrown effect sticks as well.

I remember seeing Keltner w CSNY and he had a maraca and stick in one hand... maybe a brush in the other..who knows....

whatever it was...it sounded FANTASTIC in Jim's hands

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I hold an egg shaker that has a little handle on it in my right hand along with a brush, but it's often not loud enough. This stickball thingy looks pretty cool.

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper
Reaction score
That stickball just seems a bit too quiet to me if I'm honest. In the video I just couldn't really make out the extra sound when he was playing normally. If the jingler has more volume than that, I'd love to give it a try sometime, see how it added to the overall sound. My only concern would be fills not sounding great.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That stickball just seems a bit too quiet to me if I'm honest. In the video I just couldn't really make out the extra sound when he was playing normally. If the jingler has more volume than that, I'd love to give it a try sometime, see how it added to the overall sound. My only concern would be fills not sounding great.
The stickball can be louder. Depending on which way it is held, it can be louder...

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
I hold an egg shaker that has a little handle on it in my right hand along with a brush, but it's often not loud enough. This stickball thingy looks pretty cool.
Me too. Now I'm using Rhythm Tech's mini maracas instead. They're much better balanced in terms of volume, and you can easily hold both of them in one hand with the stick.

View attachment 69638

Musampa

Reaction score
couple of other drummers doing interesting things with shakers and percussion
Jay Bellerose, and Marco Giovino ( Patty Griffin, Robert Plant)

moosryan

Reaction score
I use a jingle stick like this one. I have run a drumstick up between the two sets of jingles and taped it all together with duct tape. I use it for a couple of tunes a night. Rock stuff. Nothing that requires finess because it affects your grip but it still works. I've had mine for years. Any drummer who sees it always asks me about it.
Hey @Roch, do you have a picture of your setup? Trying to figure out the best option here--I've been using the DW tambourine pedal, but it leaves a lot wanting.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never used any add on to sticks things but way back when I used to do a Bo Diddley number with larger maracas in both hands played directly on toms.....

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Louie Bellson had all kinds of stick attachments.......a brush and a stick combo, tambo jingles on a stick, using multiple sticks/mallets/brushes in one hand and something else in the other, et al. A true innovator for sure....and that's just for what he used to play with let alone his drum set ups.
bt

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louie Bellson had all kinds of stick attachments.......a brush and a stick combo, tambo jingles on a stick, using multiple sticks/mallets/brushes in one hand and something else in the other, et al. A true innovator for sure....and that's just for what he used to play with let alone his drum set ups.
bt
They were commercially made by Mike Balter Mallets.
Hard things to find now.

1623498500532.png