header.nohb.html

Perils of gigging for weekend warriors list

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also, sound guys who insist on following me around the kit trying to set up their mics while I'm still setting up my kit. "Bro, I'm telling you now - you're GONNA have to move half of these mics when I'm done setting up!"

I hate that. I'll move stuff just to move it when they start that garbage.

RussellC

Reaction score
I've had a drunk chick vomit on my drums. Good thing they were in the hard SKB cases at the time. Easy to hose off!

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We play at a biker bar on a somewhat regular basis. The owner has one rule: no “Born to be Wild”

:)
A place we play pretty frequently used to have a sign that said, "NO BUTTERCUP."

Derrick

Reaction score
Hired soundman, with board/PA, has a meltdown during soundcheck and packs up and leaves. Packed house..... Ugh.
In the 90s, we had a sound guy for one show who used to do sound for a nationally known Baltimore band. He got so drunk that he suddenly started the night screaming at me to F*#K off, then ended the night by singing cuss words into the PA from his mix position mic. The audience was rowdy that night and ended up on stage by that point, tripping over stuff. It seems they broke a few of his mics and he was pissed! Karma?

DrSkillet

Reaction score
I had a "festival" request me to stay with my drums so the band after the next one could use them. This was in DC early in the day after I had played a late gig in NYC the night before. I decided to let the group use my kit, then the group after the group after that one asked the same thing. I made them give me some money for using my drums at that point. After about a half an hour and a lot of back and forth, the festival organizer came by the stage and agreed to pay my a couple hundred for me letting those two groups use my kit. I actually made about the same for the rental as I did for the gig. I usually wouldn't have been that cranky about the whole thing, but I only got three hours of sleep the night before.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
About 5 minutes before soundcheck (different gig) a guy showed up with congas (no other percussion instruments) and introduced himself to me. It turns out a bandmate invited him to sit in with us (without telling me) and I knew he didn't know our catalog of songs. The vast majority of our music does not accommodate congas without me dramatically changing my parts. This is not a 2 and 4 gig and many of the arrangements have non-intuitive breaks or changes which took a fair amount of rehearsal to be able to perform live.

The stage already was just big enough to accommodate our 8 piece band. The conga player was set up out of my line of sight and didn't have a channel into my in-ears. The only happy moment that gig was when we hit the last note. At least that never happened again.
Yeah, I woudn't be happy about that. The band works so hard to get tight and nail of the changes only to have someone who isn't familiar with the music improvise on top of it? I actually like playing with a percussionist, but particaurly for complext type music I would expect that this person would put as much time into learning the music and becomeing really precision with it as the rest of the band. Sitting in at a live show wouldn't even be on the table...

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hate that. I'll move stuff just to move it when they start that garbage.
I understand that they’re just trying to be expeditious, but it’ll take them twice as long than if they just wait until I’m done and out of their way. There have been a few awkward instances where we’ve bumped into each other :)

“Just give 7 more minutes and I’ll be out of your way.”

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
In the 90s, we had a sound guy for one show who used to do sound for a nationally known Baltimore band. He got so drunk that he suddenly started the night screaming at me to F*#K off, then ended the night by singing cuss words into the PA from his mix position mic. The audience was rowdy that night and ended up on stage by that point, tripping over stuff. It seems they broke a few of his mics and he was pissed! Karma?
Just curious, but what band? I grew up in that part of the world, though I've lived on the other coast since the late 80s. My guess is that if you've lived in that area at that time then you're probably familar with the work of Crack the Sky, if not a fan. I was just listening to some of their music recently and wondering why they didn't end up becoming a bigger thing...

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a "festival" request me to stay with my drums so the band after the next one could use them. This was in DC early in the day after I had played a late gig in NYC the night before. I decided to let the group use my kit, then the group after the group after that one asked the same thing. I made them give me some money for using my drums at that point. After about a half an hour and a lot of back and forth, the festival organizer came by the stage and agreed to pay my a couple hundred for me letting those two groups use my kit. I actually made about the same for the rental as I did for the gig. I usually wouldn't have been that cranky about the whole thing, but I only got three hours of sleep the night before.
Nice! I've been in a few situations where I've super reluctantly lent another band on the bill my drums. I never got paid for it though and felt like I should have. Since bands that I've played in have almost always been original type things and playing at tiny clubs for the love of it, the pay can be really small, to say the least. If I have to lend out my drums though, I might expect to be paid for more than I would make for actually playing as the playing part I do mostly for the love of it.

Last edited:

Derrick

Reaction score
Just curious, but what band? I grew up in that part of the world, though I've lived on the other coast since the late 80s. My guess is that if you've lived in that area at that time then you're probably familar with the work of Crack the Sky, if not a fan. I was just listening to some of their music recently and wondering why they didn't end up becoming a bigger thing...
I heard of them a lot, but never heard/saw the band that I recall... the band I was referring to was Kix. I bet that they got rid of that sound guy for the same reason, and he probably mops up strip club floors these days.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I heard of them a lot, but never heard/saw the band that I recall... the band I was referring to was Kix. I bet that they got rid of that sound guy for the same reason, and he probably mops up strip club floors these days.
Yeah, I remember that band, if only for that one single that went something like "...I've got the ITCH all over!" Based on that, they seemed a bit too hair metal for my taste, but I do remember that that this song was really popular and there there was some hype about the group. Thier star may have dimmed by the 90s, but for some years, Crack the Sky were really popular on the local classic rock radio. They'd play some of their tunes back to back with stuff like Led Zep and Rush, two bands that they remind me of a bit, though they were pretty unique to me and didn't seem to be derivative of any one band.

jpmichaels

Reaction score
A multi-band outdoor thing where “backline” was provided. The kit (don’t remember the brand) was two up, one down, but the small tom shared a stand with a cymbal, and on the right side, the bigger rack tom and floor tom were mounted on the same stand as the ride (or maybe a crash). It was technically impossible to place more than one tom and one cymbal in a playable position. I might not have even bothered using the cymbals I brought. That in contrast to a blues festival I played in WA – outdoor stage, phenomenal PA, and the best backline I’ve seen - drums were top of the line Yamahas, great cymbals and hardware, tuned well, and sounded great through the PA.

This past summer, gigs at an RV park (yearly thing), and next night at a winery – both were originally supposed to be outdoors. This was Eastern WA, in the middle of a heat wave – and forecast was 111 both days. At RV park, they moved us into the store that sells food and beer to the campers. We played a stripped down mostly acoustic thing, I played my DTX Multipad. Big plus – we were set up right in front of the popcorn machine. At winery – they moved us into the barrel room – huge, concrete, really high ceilings, with about a second of natural reverb hang time. Sounded great.

And although most loading docks (typical load-in) are so nasty that you want to boil your gear bags afterward, there was a hotel in Atlanta – maybe the Hilton near the airport – that did not get the memo about loading dock standards. The dock there was so clean that: 1) you wouldn’t mind sitting down in your gig clothes, and 2) you wouldn’t hesitate to eat there (the fast food you picked up on the way to the gig).

Derrick

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that band, if only for that one single that went something like "...I've got the ITCH all over!" Based on that, they seemed a bit too hair metal for my taste, but I do remember that that this song was really popular and there there was some hype about the group. Thier star may have dimmed by the 90s, but for some years, Crack the Sky were really popular on the local classic rock radio. They'd play some of their tunes back to back with stuff like Led Zep and Rush, two bands that they remind me of a bit, though they were pretty unique to me and didn't seem to be derivative of any one band.
Not into hair metal either, but they were mostly better than that. Ironically, that song you mentioned has a story in the middle that reminds me of the guy a few post back who had a chick puke on his drums. Maybe she puked her way around to many bands. Will have to check out some CTS.