Pet Peeves When Shopping for Used Drums?

gmiller598

Reaction score
For me it is when I look at a used Ludwig with a P-85 and the throw off is basically destroyed because it is screwed so tight the spring is mutilated.

Attachments

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A horrible re-finish or re-wrap; looks good from far, but it's far from good.

Iristone

Reaction score
A metal (especially unbeaded and soft like brass and aluminium) snare drum can secretly go out of round - you never see it with the naked eye, and never really notice until you find you can't tune it properly.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't care about P85's - I try to fix them and if not, it's only $20 for a new one, and I love that throw off!

Definitely wrong parts, like a Pearl mount on a vintage drum, especially! I bought a nice DW pre-collectors kit w/a killer 14x18 yellow bass - sadly a Yamaha mount was added. Annoying but not a deal breaker, especially with the bonus factory May mike inside!

I used to abhor extra holes, but since I've begun tinkering with drums (filling holes, refinishing, etc.), I don't let those types of things bother me. Unless it's an otherwise nice vintage piece with extra holes where I wonder WTF was someone thinking??? I recently acquired a vintage 20's Black Beauty with a faded black finish which I think is very cool, but two 1/8" holes right on the Ludwig logo! I hate that, but the snare has so much mojo and vibe and the sound...wow! I'll just get some small black plugs and problem solved......no plans on selling it so no biggie.

I don't buy a drum for the heads, and I do see a ton of Evans which I hate, but again, not a deal breaker. I assume used heads are worn and crappy and it's a bonus when they are Remo coateds and playable/useable.

I guess I prefer players vs. pristine ones. As long as it's a good deal....

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Evans heads again?? No wonder they got rid of it.

Evans. The heads found on more drums that drummers don't want than any other brand.
Interesting. Most used POS drums I get stuck looking over for valuation or potential purchase have Remo heads, which is the first thing to go into recycle or trash bin if I end up buying the drum.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Metal bass drum hoops , missing bottom tom hoops ( esp. cob ) , missing T's & claws and what kills me are folks who still look for that vintage dollar regardless of how badly some drums are violated .

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
P-85s are often messed up! But my main pet peeve for used drums would have to be lack of accuracy in the description!

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Missing bass drum hoops and missing bass drum t rods and claws. missing bass drum spurs. then having to hunt down the parts I don't have to finish the rehab.

JFBL

Reaction score
Perfectly good and complete orphan drums that are completely dismantled and all the parts are sold separately to maximize every penny of profitability. Few admit they do this. Some sellers are famous for it.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I have no problem with Evans G1 / G2, they were the only thing that fit my old RB Gretsch. Not even American Vintage's fit.
My pet peeve an add with "symbols" or "base drum".

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The questionable affixing of "Bonham" to anything Ludwig, any bass drum larger than 20", any Paiste cymbal.
Yes, I know it gets even worse than that, and add names like Ringo, Watts, Morello, Peart, etc.

Dan

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Metal bass drum hoops , missing bottom tom hoops ( esp. cob ) , missing T's & claws and what kills me are folks who still look for that vintage dollar regardless of how badly some drums are violated .
Agreed!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The word "minty" is an immediate deal breaker. I see that, I know there's a high risk the seller is lying, or just has no conception of how to accurately describe the condition. "Looks good to me, guess I'll say it's minty". Same goes for "mint for its age".

For cymbals, a lot of sellers just list "what it is" and then ask top dollar. Man, if you want that kind of money, post a sound file. If you want a "reasonable offer" then at least describe the condition in detail, and post the weight.

Reactions: egw