Pet Peeves When Shopping for Used Drums?

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
A kit that is set up horribly wrong in the pictures, i.e., the rack toms slanted away from each other, and or the bass drum leaning to one side.

Usually the sellers says something lame like "I don't know much about drums" and/or "these belonged to my late father in law".

The following statements also annoy me:

"Need room, moving to an apartment."
"Wife says these got to go!"
"Sounds great!"
"Hate to part with them."

JFBL

Reaction score
“Rack tom”! “Kick drum”!

A ‘rack’ is something you hang your surfboard on, or maybe smoke your fish on.

Kick is a verb. Aside from drunk musicians, I’ve never seen anyone actually ‘kick’ a drum.

Last edited:

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"an expert told me" = Your buddy, who knows nothing
"I took it to a shop and they told me" = The guy at the (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, MusicgoRound) counter
"I see them online for..." = Thinks Ludwig because it has Ludwig head, but Sound percussion shell,..... or Gretsch Blackhawk valued as USA Custom
"Upgraded" = any combination of devalued, defaced, modified, drilled, or repaired with "parts bin" parts
"My loss is your gain" = You bought it 2 weeks ago for $75, didn't even clean or tune it, and are asking 3 times that for a $100 item.
".....for YOUR DRUM SET! Lot#666" = My eye twitch trigger on eBay

and #1 peeve is......Pictures of the head. No, not the drum. Not the badge, not even the side of the shell. Now this happens not only in private (Craigslist, FB Marketplace) sales but on Musicgoround, GC, and Sam Ash's websites. The private sales usually go like this:
It's an 8 lug drum with a Remo Ambassador, as far as can be ascertained by the picture (obviously taken from a moving car, with a potato), and it's listed as a "Vintage Ludwig snare" priced at $250? Wait for it! Wait for it!
NO, It's a MIJ shell with no badge and a P85 installed (slightly angled)on it, with butterflies painted on the wrap...…. and it only took 7 messages over 12 hours to get ONE PICTURE of the side of the drum!

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would never try to cheat anyone, but,
Usually the sellers says something lame like "I don't know much about drums" and/or "these belonged to my late father in law".
I like it when people say those things. Can indicate that a better deal can be had and they're not obsessed with trying to get every single penny they can out of the set.

Tanabata

Reaction score
Actually, I have way more pet peeves with the petty criminals who come around every time I try to sell a vintage instrument.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm picking nits here, but I avoid any drum where the wrap is starting to peel, even a little. I have rarely seen a good wrap repair. It's a bit of a detailed fix that isn't guaranteed to hold. I know it's doable, I just don't like it.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I buy and sell a lot of lower end sets...
In no special order, things that bug me are:
1. Rust. Common here in the south east. Hard to see in the pictures. Nowadays, I just walk away rather than deal with it.
2. Bent hi hat pull rods. I swear, a lot of drummers don't know that you're supposed to, or know how to break down a hi hat stand for transport. I try to have extra pull rods on hand, but there are a few different diameters and thread types.
3. Those screw off bass drum spur tips on Pearl style spurs go missing a lot.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A metal (especially unbeaded and soft like brass and aluminium) snare drum can secretly go out of round - you never see it with the naked eye, and never really notice until you find you can't tune it properly.
That problem is pretty easy to fix with threaded rods and nuts....and the manual to fix anything: Youtube. I've done it with a 60s Slingerland 6.5 inch COB.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hipster drum shops with minimal knowledge who sell stuff as all original, when it has extra holes (seen it), or sell filthy drums, calling dirt/rust “patina”, because they’re too GD lazy to clean their gear up.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
My new e-Bay pet peeve, is now having to scroll past all the overpriced "sponsored" junk, that is automatically bumped to the top of the listings, even though I am specifically searching for "newest items first."

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
#1 - Too lazy to even do cursory cleaning and wanting top $.
#2 - As noted, picture of 2 drum heads and snare stand. I usually ask them if they will trade from my car, and send a picture of a tire.
#3 - No picture in the post, but offers to send me one by email.? ? ?

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My biggest pet peeves is the retailer who " should" know what the gear is and is either too lazy or just doesn't care enough to price it accordingly.
Examples :
Rogers R380 kit priced at $2700 !
Ludwig Franken snare priced at $400
Slingerland Artist billed as all original with Ludwig sky blue pearl wrap AND the kill shot....a Jack Lawton Drum company sticker stating custom built for xxx ...I literally laughed in front of the salesman ...I explained who Jack was and that his work was superb BUT the very fact that the drum had that sticker should have clued them in that it wasn't all original. Previous owner obviously had a nice Artist shell and had it restored to playable condition by Jack. Nice drum and work, NOT 550 bucks worth.
Also used sets priced as if they're in NOS condition and they need 100's of dollars in parts and elbow grease ... Because it's a Yamaha or Ludwig xxx

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
...and photos taken in the bathroom, or gararge, or laundry room, or with backgrounds so busy it's hard to see what is being sold.
Or in front a window with enough back lighting to blot out the set almost entirely.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with Evans G1 / G2, they were the only thing that fit my old RB Gretsch. Not even American Vintage's fit.
My pet peeve an add with "symbols" or "base drum".
I love ads with "symbols" and "base" drums. They are generally much less expensive!

drumtek

Reaction score
Perfectly good and complete orphan drums that are completely dismantled and all the parts are sold separately to maximize every penny of profitability. Few admit they do this. Some sellers are famous for it.
This drives me crazy.
A drum is only original once

vigilante397

Reaction score
Pretty much everything everyone already said, but also misrepresenting brands (i.e. referring to PDP as DW PDP) or adding random brand names to ads to get attention in searches (SABIAN ZILDJIAN PAISTE MEINL).

And it's been said a few times, but it's such a big deal. Pictures. Cell phone cameras these days have been getting better and better, there is no excuse to have garbage pictures on something you're trying to sell for a lot of money.