Peter Erskine and Diana Krall

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I picked up a live Diana Krall DVD from the Montreal Jazz Festival. I listened to it because Peter Erskine played for her during the concert

I had heard of Diana Krall, but never heard anything by her.

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised when I heard her. I really like her style and the fact that she plays jazz rather well.

Oh yeah, Peter sounded good too. As always.

Anyone else a Diana Krall fan?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan. If you think that live DVD is good, get Live in Paris. Hamilton is KILLING it on that one and her version of Case of You by Joni Mitchel is stunning. I've seen her live 5 times - she always has a great band and always sounds great.

Thanks,

Jeff

kallen49

Reaction score
Yes I saw Diana with Erskine on the kit (2004?) at a concert hall in Hamilton ON, one of my favourite shows ever...supporting “the girl in the other room” album which was a departure from her “smooth jazz”, some tunes co-written with husband Elvis Costello, Erskine is one of 3 drummers on album.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Here are some phrases that come to mind when I listen to Diana Krall with Peter Erskine: Attractive. Country club. Noodly-doodly. Inoffensive. Busy. Anachronistic. Low-volume. Songs that have been done with more verve and style by countless others. Not my style.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everything about her music is boring and predictable except her looks and the musicians playing behind her. She's made a nice career - despite having an extremely ordinary and thin sounding voice - by winning the genetic lottery; exploiting her sexuality for record sales and concert attendance.

For the first time maybe, I actually agree with VB. Considering myslef an audiophile, I tried to give her stuff a chance because it is recorded well. But ultimately concluded there was nothing there for me.

Nope..I'll put on some Oscar Peterson tonight and be just fine.

Last edited:

mathale

Reaction score
Random tid bit - Jeff Hamilton takes credit for discovering her in Canada (and was second chair to Erskine at Indiana). Or so he told me.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Everything about her music is boring and predictable except her looks and the musicians playing behind her. She's made a nice career - despite having an extremely ordinary and thin sounding voice - by winning the genetic lottery; exploiting her sexuality for record sales and concert attendance.

For the first time maybe, I actually agree with VB. Considering myslef an audiophile, I tried to give her stuff a chance because it is recorded well. But ultimately concluded there was nothing there for me.

Nope..I'll put on some Oscar Peterson tonight and be just fine.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
For the record, I'm a fan.

She really owns the songs she chooses to cover - there's so many of these wonderful classics I'd have probably overlooked if it weren't for her moving renditions.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Random tid bit - Jeff Hamilton takes credit for discovering her in Canada (and was second chair to Erskine at Indiana). Or so he told me.
She has stated that Jeff and Ray Brown discovered her (when Jeff was playing with Ray).

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the Live in Paris disc and DVD! Hamilton gives a veritable clinic on brushes. She may not have the greatest voice but she sings and plays very well and the band look and sound like they are having a blast. Can't really ask for more than that i say.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saw her at Monterey Jazz with Jeff Hamilton a few years back and it was way more than I expected! Her version of "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" is amazing (live Paris). Hamilton kills on brushes and then goes into a killer Jazz swing. It's one of my favorite Jazz covers to play along with......