Phil Collins Defends Hiring 17-Year-Old Son as Drummer

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Obviously, anyone with a brain knows WHY and HOW he got the job, but that is a different discussion as to whether he SHOULD have it. When you are playing with musicians of that caliber, you MUST be able to cut the mustard or you wouldn't be there, family ties or not. Imho of course.

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

What I was thinking about is a guy like Chester Thompson. Imagine having a regular gig for most of your life and then losing it. I don't know the details, of course, but I feel bad for sidemen in general. They seem to get the short end of the stick. I hope I'm wrong and this wasn't a financial loss for Thompson.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
From the World of Genesis fansite:

WOG: By the end of the Genesis We Can't Dance Tour in 1992, you stepped away from working with Phil Collins and Genesis in a touring capacity. What lead to that decision?

CT: The main thing for for me was that my son was turning 13. I started playing drums in clubs at that age, and I grew up without a dad...I remember intense times of confusion and loneliness, and I was just really determined that my son was not going to grow up that way. Phil and I talked and mutually agreed for me not to do his tour, and he wanted to do something different, so that was fine. I really wanted off the road to be at home with my son.

Lots of other great info in that interview too. Check it out. (Chester did join them again when Phil, Mike and Tony toured on their last outing in 2007.)