Phil Collins Wanted to Flee Disastrous Led Zeppelin Live Aid Reunion

gmiller598

Reaction score
Yea....soooo...wellll....

ANYBODY talking about the drums (or the bass for that matter) in that performance is not only tone-deaf, but brain dead.

Page and Plant should be ashamed that video of that performance even exists...

Phil *should* have walked off.
They are and have refused to allow it to ever be officially released.

PaulD

Reaction score
If you watch the Bonzo Bashes then you know how hard it is for even the worlds great rock drummers to replicate/mimic John Bonham’s sound and feel.

Lots of very good drummers sit on that throne and 10 seconds into I am already cringing.

The best I’ve seen is probably Charlie Benante and Brian Tichy

I saw Page and Plant when they toured together, I don’t know; 20 years ago and they had Michael Lee on drums and he just killed it. You could have closed your eyes and pretended Bonham was playing.

I also think that Steve Gorman did a hell of a job covering Bonham on the Live at the Greek recordings.
I honestly think that if there's any drummer who could have subbed or Bonzo, it was Tony Thompson. He was thrown into a bad situation the one time he had the chance.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you watch the Bonzo Bashes then you know how hard it is for even the worlds great rock drummers to replicate/mimic John Bonham’s sound and feel.

Lots of very good drummers sit on that throne and 10 seconds into I am already cringing.

The best I’ve seen is probably Charlie Benante and Brian Tichy

I saw Page and Plant when they toured together, I don’t know; 20 years ago and they had Michael Lee on drums and he just killed it. You could have closed your eyes and pretended Bonham was playing.

I also think that Steve Gorman did a hell of a job covering Bonham on the Live at the Greek recordings.
How about Mike Derosier? I honestly think he was one of a VERY small number of drummers who could have taken over for JB if they decided to carry on in 1981 or so.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about Mike Derosier? I honestly think he was one of a VERY small number of drummers who could have taken over for JB if they decided to carry on in 1981 or so.
I can see that. There is a lot of respect for Derosier on this forum. Me included. His drumming, and Nancy Wilson’s guitar playing, on Barracuda still stumps me.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Plant and Page sounded like garbage that day and Phil absolutely should not have been on that gig. I love Zep and love Phil, but they all sucked on that gig. If you want to hear how good Live Aid could have sounded, listen to Bowie. If you switch between Zep and Bowie's performances it's like they are engaging in two different activities.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow NAMM really was bad this year! It's late January 2020 and we're talking about a concert that happened in 1985? All I remember was it was my 14th birthday and Led Zepplin was on TV...I thought it was cool and it probably wasn't meant to be listened to and judged 35 years later.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I honestly think that if there's any drummer who could have subbed or Bonzo, it was Tony Thompson. He was thrown into a bad situation the one time he had the chance.
I love his playing, especially during the dance-rock era as it’s called. His playing on Power Station’s “Some Like It Hot” feels so good.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
The participants (and apparently many others) thought it was a bad show, so saying so isn't doing any worse than they. You can't take back a recorded performance, studio or otherwise, you just have to accept that it's how you played that day. I don't see this as a dis to Zep, they're big boys, take the good with the bad.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The participants (and apparently many others) thought it was a bad show, so saying so isn't doing any worse than they. You can't take back a recorded performance, studio or otherwise, you just have to accept that it's how you played that day. I don't see this as a dis to Zep, they're big boys, take the good with the bad.
In the interview cochlea posted Page clearly states that he is disgusted with the performance. He does blame it on the drummers, stating that they could not get the intro to Rock&Roll. I. Listened to the performance and did not hear the intro, did they skip it of was it so faint my tired ears could not pick it up. If they straight up skipped it that tells you a lot.

prplx

Reaction score
I read in MD that Tony Thompson's inspiration to drum was Zep and he had it all down for the concert and was very disappointed by Phil being there. That makes Page's blaming it on the 'drummahs" a BS call. '
Phil said "Tony, rest his soul, had rehearsed for a week"
While I agree Phil was the one off, it might not have been that easy for Page to realize: this drummer knows the part, this one doesn't, in a live situation, on such a big stage. I can understand Page coming off the show thinking the drums sounded bad, period. So did Plant and him of course, but that's another story.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember back then that it was made a big deal that Collins was playing 2 festivals in 1 day. Whether it was Zep themselves, or the festival organizers or both, they wanted the "Phil Factor". They wanted to capitalize on his huge popularity (as if Zep needed that!) and they put both drummers in an impossibly bad situation.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree with what the moderators have already stated, The quality of this video is horrible visually and sound wise so making a judgement is based a lot from this video quality which is very poor, The applause from the beginning of the show and after words shows the crowd loved it, they were there only one poster on this thread was soo!?!?!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember back then that it was made a big deal that Collins was playing 2 festivals in 1 day. Whether it was Zep themselves, or the festival organizers or both, they wanted the "Phil Factor". They wanted to capitalize on his huge popularity (as if Zep needed that!) and they put both drummers in an impossibly bad situation.

Plus, Plants says that they wanted to play Live Aid, but that the promoter, Bill Graham, did not like them. (Interesting, perhaps because of their wild antics back in the day or perhaps because of their manager Peter Grants strong arm tactics and success in taking the lion's share of the cut) ...and that he, Plant, wants Phil to step in and get Graham to let them play the concert, which happens. So, maybe they let Collins play with them was a reward and thank you for that favor. They must have known his style did not match up.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Plus, Plants says that they wanted to play Live Aid, but that the promoter, Bill Graham, did not like them. (Interesting, perhaps because of their wild antics back in the day or perhaps because of their manager Peter Grants strong arm tactics and success in taking the lion's share of the cut) ...and that he, Plant, wants Phil to step in and get Graham to let them play the concert, which happens. So, maybe they let Collins play with them was a reward and thank you for that favor. They must have known his style did not match up.
Or it could have been that Collins’ enormous coke-fueled ego had him thinking he didn’t need to learn/practice Led Zeppelin’s catalog — which he believed was primitive in comparison to Sussudio!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Or it could have been that Collins’ enormous coke-fueled ego had him thinking he didn’t need to learn/practice Led Zeppelin’s catalog — which he believed was primitive in comparison to Sussudio!
I thought you did not partake in conjecture and the pleasure of a good Conspiracy Theory?

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
In the interview cochlea posted Page clearly states that he is disgusted with the performance. He does blame it on the drummers, stating that they could not get the intro to Rock&Roll. I. Listened to the performance and did not hear the intro, did they skip it of was it so faint my tired ears could not pick it up. If they straight up skipped it that tells you a lot.
True, and if Tony had practiced for a week (as PC says) no way a drummer of that caliber wouldn't have the technique and understanding of the timing.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can see that. There is a lot of respect for Derosier on this forum. Me included. His drumming, and Nancy Wilson’s guitar playing, on Barracuda still stumps me.
I had to learn Barracuda for my current band and I must confess--that drum part is a beast!! Measures of 5/4 in the early verses and then various measures of 7/4 sprinkled thruout the rest of the song THEN the heavy 7/4 ending which repeats the riff 5 times not the typical 4!! It was very satisfying to learn once we got it down and people in the audience seem to dig it!! (Our female singer crushes it btw)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok.... so because the “drummers” blew the intro to Rock and Roll.....

Plant was immediately struck with “Sings like a cat with his tail in a garbage disposal”? lol

rrrrrriiiiiigggghhhtttt.....

lol

Last edited:

Latest posts