DFO Star
Reaction score
Leave it for the grown- ups

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
True indeed.
Bowie and his band schooled every act on BOTH Live Aid stages about how a professional conducts a cool and effortless performance. In fact, all the other acts appeared amateur, frazzled and chaotic compared to Bowie's set.

After viewing every single performance that day, my girlfriend and I both emphatically agreed that Bowie completely STOLE the entire show and made it all look like a stroll in the park with his confidence and professionalism.

Of course it's all on youtube, check it out!

Relaxed & confident in a powder blue suit - Bowie owned Live Aid.

When writing your post, did you ask yourself, Why didn’t Hollywood make a movie based around Bowie’s Live Aid performance of TVC15 and three other songs?
Bohemian Rhapsody is the smash hit movie it is because it captures some of the spirit of Queen’s legendary Live Aid set.

Last edited:

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is from an interview with TT in '85

CS: At Live Aid, you actually filledBonham's chair for the Led Zeppelin reunion. Can you tell me how that whole thing came about?
TT: Yeah, I was on the road with the Power Station in Virginia, and RobertPlant called. He said that he and JimmyPage were listening to the Power Station album, and they really enjoyed my play-ing. He wanted to know if I would considerdoing Live Aid. I kind of told them no at first, because I was really worried that we
weren't going to have a rehearsal. I waskind of leery about going on stage in front of a couple of billion people and messingup. I went to Sarasota, Florida, after that,and they kept calling. Phil Carson, whomanages Robert or something like that,said that they were willing to come to Sara-sota to rehearse with me. It finally worked out that we rehearsed the day of Live Aidin a recording studio about an hour beforewe went on.
CS: Are there any words to describe thefeeling of sitting in Bonzo's chair?
TT: For me, it was just a dream come true. It's as simple as that. They could have called any drummer in the world to playwith them, and they called me. So it was anhonor. It really was. I had such a good time in rehearsal. It was amazing. I just wish that Phil [Collins] would have come to rehearsal, because a lot of people just assume that it's easy to play that kind ofstuff. It really isn't. There were a lot ofthose Led Zeppelin tunes I had played inbar bands, and when I finally got to playwith the real guys, it was like the way I hadplayed them was totally wrong. They just showed me little things that Bonzo used todo, and it was just amazing.
CS: As a matter of fact, I read an interviewwith Plant where he was talking aboutwhen Phil Collins asked if he could sit in.Plant tried to discourage him a little and said, "Have you ever played any of those tunes?"
TT: It's not easy to play that stuff. And Ireally found that out in rehearsal. But that was the best time. We sounded so muchbetter in rehearsal than we did when we hitthe stage—so much better. 1 had a reallygood time. It was an honor, and all the guys were sweethearts. It was really great.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the funny thing is, on the same page as that excerpt with Tony, is a Remo ad with Phil Collins... "Phil Collins and Friends..."

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it was horrible, and I'm not at all surprised an article like this came out. Plant sounded bad; Page sounded worse.
Yes it was horrible. Its like Stacy Keach doing a bad Robert Plant impersonation. Trainwreck

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When writing your post, did you ask yourself, Why didn’t Hollywood make a movie based around Bowie’s Live Aid performance of TVC15 and three other songs?
Bohemian Rhapsody is the smash hit movie it is because it captures some of the spirit of Queen’s legendary Live Aid set.
Bohemian Rhapsody - mostly a hit movie because of the fictional plot line they went to, and all out of chronological order, in order to make it 'Hollywood' enough. Unconscionable that Roger and Brian went along with it.
Hollywood could never touch Bowie...way too classy.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bohemian Rhapsody - mostly a hit movie because of the fictional plot line they went to, and all out of chronological order, in order to make it 'Hollywood' enough. Unconscionable that Roger and Brian went along with it.
I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was awesome, the songs were arranged such that it supported the story line. Brian May's (and Roger Taylor's) answer to the out-of-sync chronology ("We Weren't making a Documentary"): https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/queens-brian-may-defends-timeline-inaccuracies-in-bohemian-rhapsody-biopic-we-werent-making-a-documentary/

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Sorry you had trouble following BoRhap. It has an 85% Rotten Tomatoes score and won a Golden Globes Best Picture and an Oscar for best actor.