header.nohb.html

Phil Collins was the wrong choice for Led Zeppelin at Live Aid, Jimmy Page admits

Gordogarbo

Reaction score
That’s the first time I’ve listened to that performance, and if there was one thing that ruined it for me, it certainly wasn’t the drumming.. :director: Sure the drums weren’t perfect, but I’d rather listen to a solid drummer play wrong parts than a singer wailing a way nothing like the original part and also often out of key for an entire song..:blink: maybe I’m missing something, but the drums didn’t sound like the weak link here…?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page a slobbering mess,Collins desperately flailing away, Plant's head with its priceless dental work firmly in the sand ... tens of thousands worshiping the moment . We are the world ? Yikes .

Last edited:

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I went down a YouTube rabbit hole of Live Aid performances after watching that Led Zep debacle. After viewing 2 Madonna songs I really had an appreciation for her talent back then - quite the performer. The only "chick singer" to be trusted with a tambourine!

Also, Jonathan Moffett probably could have handled the Zep reunion better than Phil and Tony. And he even had his "over the shoulder" crashes back then.

Lots of great 80's acts on that show, and they all sounded better ( and more rehearsed) then Zep. :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Thanks Drum Mer, I enjoyed Thompson’s account of Phil Collins skipping rehearsal and not knowing the Zeppelin material as much as I loved seeing this ludicrous bass drum ad.
D47AE0B0-4885-4811-A36A-4BD848060367.jpeg

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Damn what a great issue. I had it as kid but couldn't appreciate the level of talent til I read it again.
Thompson, Wertico, and McBrian

stuart s

Reaction score
Sounds like there was, is, will be only one right drummer for Led Zeppelin.
This is true of some other bands. I remember when JBonham passed, Robert Plant said
"Led Zeppelin died, the day John Bonham died" and it was for charity, so what the heck.
This!! Neither fit zep, no one back then could, not that they were bad drummers.

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
This!! Neither fit zep, no one back then could, not that they were bad drummers.
Actually, there were quite a few active and high profile drummers around that time (1985) who could have filled the spot at Live Aid. Three just off the top of my head:
  1. Michael Derosier (Heart)
  2. Bobby Chouinard (Billy Squier)
  3. Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot)
And like Houndog mentioned, Tony Thompson was certainly capable.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmine Appice , could have done it as well . DISREGARD PLEASE CARMINE STINKS IT UP !!!!

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, there were quite a few active and high profile drummers around that time (1985) who could have filled the spot at Live Aid. Three just off the top of my head:
  1. Michael Derosier (Heart)
  2. Bobby Chouinard (Billy Squier)
  3. Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot)
And like Houndog mentioned, Tony Thompson was certainly capable.
100% agreed on Derosier.