Phil Rudd or Ringo Starr Who is More Meat & Potatoes

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going with Phil here. Ringo actualy did lots of fills. I can't off the top of my head think of any Phil Rudd fills.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rudd for sure.

For as simple as Rudd's playing seems to be, I can't quite mimic his high hat sound. The guys like to jam some early AC/DC and I'm the weak link. I'm not sure if it is a tension thing, a technique thing, wrong hats, .....Drives me nuts!

I listen to the songs and say "but it's so simple!".

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudd for sure.

For as simple as Rudd's playing seems to be, I can't quite mimic his high hat sound. The guys like to jam some early AC/DC and I'm the weak link. I'm not sure if it is a tension thing, a technique thing, wrong hats, .....Drives me nuts!

I listen to the songs and say "but it's so simple!".
Could be a time thing! It's hard to play some AC/DC and have it feel right. Deceptively hard.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love some Phil Rudd , just try the intro to Walk All Over You ......

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall a Questlove interview where he said something to the effect of, paraphrasing here, “I want to be the Charlie Watts of hiphop” (Or maybe he said “I want to be the Charlie Watts of funk.”)
To which I say, “I want to be the Phil Rudd of freeform experimental jazz.”

My apologies to the legion of AC/DC tribute band and avant garde jazz drummers on the forum. This shelter in place is making me a bit rummy.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always felt AC/DC was the harder Australian version of the Stones, so I'd compare Watts vs Rudd before Ringo...all three were perfect for that band.....Meat and Potatoes = Rudd

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rudd is Meat&Potatoes until you try to cover his stuff.

I recall an interview with Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine where he talks of Rudd being a big influence on him, specifically Rudd’s hi-hat playing which he thought key to the sound of the band. Wilk went on to say that Rudd’s hi-hats would move the crowd up and down in unison and he would try to replicate that in his own playing.