Phil Rudd or Ringo Starr Who is More Meat & Potatoes

nmosko

Reaction score
Rudd is so meat he ain’t even got a ride cymbal. Dude never plays a fill and has the most driving beat ever. No contest.

Rudd is a porterhouse, ringo is spam

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rudd is Meat&Potatoes until you try to cover his stuff.

I recall an interview with Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine where he talks of Rudd being a big influence on him, specifically Rudd’s hi-hat playing which he thought key to the sound of the band. Wilk went on to say that Rudd’s hi-hats would move the crowd up and down in unison and he would try to replicate that in his own playing.
Same thing can be said about Ringo and Charlie. It sounds easy, until you try and make it sound just like they do.

That said - Rudd is the man when it comes to laying down serious meat and potatoes.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Simon Kirke needs some love too !!!!
We have talked Ringo to death ..............
I love Simon Kirke! Much like Ringo, I think he managed to inject some personality into Free/Bad Company's arrangements. I don't necessarily hear much color in Rudd's approach, but the groove and support is undeniable.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kirke, can be M&P but what about his drumming on “Ready For Love”? I think that is some pretty deep, sophisticated, soulful stuff.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Rudd keeps time.
Ringo writes parts.
2 different animals. A monkey and a porpoise.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To my ears, Ringo and Rudd are so far apart in every way its more like cat and dog.
Rudd is total chain gang, pile-driving groove. Kirke is deep in the groove too, but falls into in the class of deceptively simple drummers...til you try to copy his parts. Ringo too, but is like neither.
What's great about all three is feel.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudd keeps time.
Ringo writes parts.
2 different animals. A monkey and a porpoise.
To my ears, Ringo and Rudd are so far apart in every way its more like cat and dog.
Rudd is total chain gang, pile-driving groove. Kirke is deep in the groove too, but falls into in the class of deceptively simple drummers...til you try to copy his parts. Ringo too, but is like neither.
What's great about all three is feel.
Exactly. Two very different players with different approaches. That's why I made the loose comparison to Simon Kirke, who's pretty much a "meat & potatoes" guy, though he does play fills and yes, back in the 70s, played drum solos.

Sidenote: I saw the last Rod Stewart and The Faces tour in 1975, and Kenney Jones played a drum solo. It was the era when everyone (except Charlie Watts) played a solo. I recall Kenney's solo being great!

But Phil Rudd takes the cake when it comes to keeping it simple and ultra solid. Hope that clarifies it.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Exactly. Two very different players with different approaches. That's why I made the loose comparison to Simon Kirke, who's pretty much a "meat & potatoes" guy, though he does play fills and yes, back in the 70s, played drum solos.

Sidenote: I saw the last Rod Stewart and The Faces tour in 1975, and Kenney Jones played a drum solo. It was the era when everyone (except Charlie Watts) played a solo. I recall Kenney's solo being great!

But Phil Rudd takes the cake when it comes to keeping it simple and ultra solid. Hope that clarifies it.
Nice solo from Kenny right here. I think the Faces are on fire in this on, really right on the edge of loosing the whole thing....and, Ronnie wood showing us that he is a great lead guitarist in his own right.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice solo from Kenny right here. I think the Faces are on fire in this on, really right on the edge of loosing the whole thing....and, Ronnie wood showing us that he is a great lead guitarist in his own right.

One of my favorite videos. I watched it dozens of times when we were playing this song. Just an outstanding performance all around!

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

The Faces are one of my all time favorite bands - they were so good it's too bad Rod's ego destroyed them. And Kenny is SO good and SO solid it's crazy. And much of the faces was on the edge - part of what makes them great. Ronnie Lanes bass playing is amazing as well.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Faces are one of my all time favorite bands - they were so good it's too bad Rod's ego destroyed them. And Kenny is SO good and SO solid it's crazy. And much of the faces was on the edge - part of what makes them great. Ronnie Lanes bass playing is amazing as well.
I agree, lanes bass playing is unbelievable good and he was a great stage presence as well.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Phill has such a tremendous pocket. It was he and Malcom who were the magic w AC/DC.
Even though, eighth note based, Phill, much like Ringo, SWINGS.

Its the feel in between those notes.

When I head ACDC w Phil and Malcom, to me, Phills right arm/hand is in total sync w Malcoms right hand on rhythm guitar.
The Down strokes and Upstrokes from Malcolm ..to me...mimics the exact motion of Phills right hand.... down stroke, hitting hihat, upstroke.... leaving space.

its the space that both Phil and Malcolm, sync in...and to me, thats what gives ACDC it's swing.

To my ear, there was a tremendous difference in sound and FEEL when Simon Wright, and/or Chris Slade were behind the kit in ACDC

Thats how i hear it concieve of it.

-K

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picture a ufc thing with them throwing vegetables and burgers at eachother. “Look out Bob, Rudd has 2 russets and a carrot coming fast at Ringo….OH! AND RINGO COUNTERS WITH A PORTERHOUSE TO THE HEAD! RUDD’S KO’D IN ROUND ONE!!!! RINGO RETAINS HIS BELT!!!