Photos of my Fullerton-era SOM Rogers "Londoner 5".

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm posting some photos of my circa 1970 Rogers "Londoner 5" kit. All the drums have the Fullerton tags inside and appear to have been sold as a set because the serial numbers are pretty close together.

I purchased them about a year ago on eBay and was told they were the original wraps. Undoubtedly, the "Black Strata" wrap was correct for the time period. However, because these wraps are so nearly perfect, I suspect these drums may be re-wrapped. If they are, they are beautifully done.

The chrome on each drum is nearly flawless. If the wraps aren't original, that would be okay. These drums look great but sound even better. I was able to locate all the correct pedals and stands to make the kit complete. Each drum was dis-assembled and completely detailed before assembling them and installing new heads. I have both a correct-for-the-era Dynasonic and Powertone for this set; I like them both equally well.

So what do you guys think? Are the wraps original or not? Please let me know your thoughts about this or any other topic concerning this beautiful kit. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and look at the pictures.

Attachments

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Pretty sure the seam is in the wrong place, on the 13" and the wrap itself isn't correct. It's a little busy. Love the set though. I'm curious to see what Dan says. Ace

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The kit is beautiful.

The location of the seam on the 13" doesn't bother me that much, but the wrap looks too good. Maybe it's redone, maybe not. Examining in person is the only way to tell. A look at the edges, the inside of the grommet, the badge nails: those things will reveal the truth.

But, the kit is beautiful!

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The seams should all look like the 13 {center of the lug}. Good question tho! How to tell if my drums have been rewrapped? I can only speak for Rogers drums here. But here it goes. First look at the vent gromet. Its actually hard to take this off and put the same one on without seeing its been tampered with. New gromets have squared off edges as seen in the photo below. Original Rogers ones have rounded edges {see dyna badge}. The argument has been made by others about what was used that day blah blah. But for the most part, these drums were made in a consistent manner and thats what I follow. Look for scratch marks around the inside and bends in the metal near the edges of the gromet on the inside of it. This is also true of the nails. The inside will tell you more than the outside in most cases. Scatches, bend and things not seen in others of the same period. I hope this helps. This is only my opinion.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that's a rewrap. There's never been an aftermarket wrap available that looked that good. And it seems that the Rogers stratas sometimes get that bumpy pattern you can see on the floor tom. You don't see that on the Ludwig oysters. (At least I've never seen it.)
That set makes me want to buy the similar one that's on ebay now.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I meant the seam being between the Script logo and the holder, making it visible looking at the drum from the front. Fullerton era might explain that though. I am now inclined to think original wrap too. Too sweet! Ace
P.S. I used a magnifying glass on the pictures after expanding them. The wrap looks different that way.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
looks like original wrap,i owned that same kit minus the 12

great to see them set up w orig h ware

enjoy!

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
They sure look nice. You could always pull off a lug and you may find that the wrap has faded around the lug. Then you almost definitely know it is original wrap.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
While on the subject of Londoner 5's with matching Powertones...I gig my 1967 Blue Sparkle Londoner 5 with matching Powertone every week. Love these drums! Here it is with a set of matching 1967 bongos with standard rims and heads--kind of a mock concert tom setup. Note the versatility of that way cool Swivomatic hardware!