Photos of my LA badged Camco kit in Green Moss Stain.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been posting photos of some of my vintage drums here on the forum and have received many positive comments from people who truly appreciate vintage drums and understand the obsession of the same. I really appreciate it.

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful, all original Camco "C-500" kit that I acquired from Donn Bennett. They all have LA badges but are finished in a Green Moss Stain. In the LA-era catalog I have, this is not one of the available colors listed. However, in the Chanute, KS-era catalog, this striking color is shown as one of the color choices. My guess is that these drums may have been made in Kansas and were moved to Los Angeles and re-badged before they were sold. The kit came with all the hardware and some of it is even marked "Oaklawn, IL".

The original lacquer finish is absolutely amazing. It has a bit of translucency to it where the woodgrain is visible. All the chrome is in perfect condition and even all the heads are the original-issue models as well.

All have been detailed and tuned and as you can imagine, sound even better than they look. I had been looking for a nice Camco kit when Donn had this one for sale. It truly was a dream-come-true that they were for sale right after I sold one of my vintage cars and had the money. If Donn's reading this, I'd like to thank him for making this one-of-a-kind kit available.

The only thing missing from this kit was the snare drum. According to the LA-era catalog, this configuration was standard with a 5x14 "Model #450" wood shell snare drum (8 lug). I'd love to find one; matching color would be the ultimate or I could re-finish another one to match. For now, I'm using an Oaklawn-era "Studio Model" in WMP. If you have one, please PM me to let me know.

Enjoy!

Attachments

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice kit - I love it. My favorite color!

#It's not easy being green.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score

SlingaLud

Reaction score
I Believe your set is 6/6ply Keller maple with the L.A. era bearing edges. It would make my day to see this kit reunited with it's original snare drum. Drop dead gorgeous kit by the way! And I know it sounds killer!!

Drewdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That kit is gorgeous. Congratulations on owning that.

Not to change the subject, but I am thinking about refinishing a Gretsch player's kit and would like to do a stained finish. Does anyone know where I could find a similar Green Moss wood stain?

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice kit! Makes me think of Jim Gordon's, whose sound is among my favorite ever!

S

skinsman

That is surely one BEAUTIFUL set of tubs....stunning actually, congrats!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
If your kit was made in Chanute the shells would reflect that. They would be 6ply Jasper. LA however are 6 ply Keller. The LA shells are very undersized and thin compared to Oaklawn/ Chanute Jasper shells. The bearing edge is also quite different.

Beautiful kit in one fugly stain! So fugly it looks great!

stedi

Reaction score
An incredible set of drums, simply stunning,... congratulations!!!

The edges would indeed look very different.

LA Camco Keller shells have the typical ellipses shape edges where the outer shell-edge leans inward.

Haven't seen that on the Camco Jasper shells.

Attachments

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am not a green finish lover, but that has to be the nicest I've seen. You need that snare.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love it!! Green drums - yes! Must find snare...

donnbennett

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Man! Do I ever remember that set! It was really hard to let that set go. I was planning on keeping it for my own collection but I literally didn't have room for another set. Good problem to have. I'm really glad you're loving the set. they are spectacular!!
Donn

antipodes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, beautiful kit - the most Camco of Camco finishes, you might argue.

Recently ended up with a moss green 18" x 12" Oaklawn drum - mine has faded out to what can only be called lime green but it's so specific I can't help but love it. I've got other drums I'd like to try and match to it so I second Drewdrum's request about a commercial stain that matches this.

And Too Many Drums...I've got a nice (extra) LA 6 1/2" deep snare that would come up beautifully stained green if you can't find that elusive matching snare (and it will be elusive).

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and for the many positive comments. I heard from Roger (SlingaLud) who is very knowledgeable concerning the entire Camco line through the years. He pointed out one interesting thing...my bass drum is a 22 inch model and should have eight lugs; mine has ten. Roger also went on to say that only a #650 kit had 13 and 14 inch rack toms suspended above a 24 inch bass. This kit would have also had an additional floor tom (16x18).

All these factors lead Roger, and several other Camco authorities, to surmise that my kit was a custom special order. I only wish I knew for sure. However, this theory seems to have a lot of validity. If it was custom-ordered, that makes it even more unique.

Another fellow Camco enthusiast has contacted me to sell me a very nice LA-badged 6.5x14 snare - model #452. It's been suggested by my continuing research not only recently, but also since before I acquired these drums from Donn Bennett, that this particular snare is arguably one of the finest instruments ever made. Thanks to the gentleman who offered it to me. When I get it, I'll post photos before and after the restoration. I'll then tell you the entire story as to how I got it and from whom.

I'll keep everybody posted on the snare's progress. One thing's for sure...many of you, as well as me, think this kit deserves to have its matching snare. A friend of mine is a master cabinet builder with over forty years of experience. He's very confident that he can match the color and sheen of the rest of these drums to the newly-acquired snare. I'm really excited to get the drum and to restore it back with a lacquered finish. Sharing this with people like all of you makes it even more fun. Thanks, guys.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hey psychedelicswamp,

Great idea! I have a couple of kits that are two up and two down and they're a lot of fun to play in that configuration. I posted a "Wanted" ad here on the forum. I'm confident if there's one out there, I'll find it.

Can anybody help? I'll keep everybody posted. Cheers.