Picco;lo

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone still playing these, and are they still called piccolo snare drums?....how shallow do they have to be?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
before they are called a P̶̷i̶̷n̶̷o̶̷c̶̷c̶̷h̶̷i̶̷o̶̷ ? Piccolo?
4 x 14

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't piccolos traditionally 3" deep? I have two 3x13 Ludwig, an import maple and a BB.....they both get used. I have a 3x14 steel Mapex that I just got the shell and made a custom drum from. It is interesting but doesn't get much play time.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like 4" max, but could be 3 + 3 1/2 x 13 or 14 IMHO.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
just sold my steel MAPEX 3x13... toneless wonder.

No more piccolos for me

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...maybe 2 years ago I got a shell here..4x14...built in quickly (and sloppy I must admit) but its great for this Ska/Pop band...body and pop. I also have a 14x3 Eames (it was a free floater shell at one point). I should play with its tuning more...also a lot of body when tuned down...but its loud and has great sustain.

I ended up buying two 3.? x 14 shells ...and I'm having my twin daughters each decorate one (Blue Shadows idea)...I've had those edged/bedded...and I had a 14x10 W/A shell that I had cut down to 5 and 4...these will be wrapped to match a FG kit I'm having wrapped.

A pic tuned down is a great thing...sonicly...and with the right hardware...easy to move and gig with...

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Rogers 2 1/2 x 13 Satellite (pancake, skinny) snare with original heads I could let go if anyone’s interested. Everything works. No stripped lugs, which is common. Catalog page:
135A9FA8-09C6-4D44-BF1C-F4639C9E3F6A.jpeg

Soulfinger

Reaction score
A pic tuned down is a great thing
^That right there is the secret.

Don´t just tune a piccolo to that high and dry crack, experiment with lower tunings as well. You´ll find that they can sound as lively and fat as deeper snares, only with slightly less body and volume (which is a good thing for acoustic gigs).
I love smaller snares and currently have two Pearl 13x3 (brass and steel), a Pearl maple 14x4 (the JR model after he left Pearl) and a Tama Artstar maple 14x4. I use the 14s all the time.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to think 6.5 was the "right" size, but as i got older i started to appreciate the wide range and focus of shallower snares. Over 6 decades of experimenting, i,ve concluded that wood shells, 5-5.5" x14 are my faves. Never got used to pics, and i dont play the deep boys anymore. Its no wonder we all have so many snare drums!!

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s I wanted one bad, but never moved off of a 5" acro. Then as an adult I started as a 5x14 guy but in the last decade have grown to love and use 6.5x14 almost exclusively. Just a few months ago I finally got my first 4x14, a Spruce stave drum from Sugar Percussion. They are local so I got to try it out next to a lot of other drums but just fell in love with this thing. Not surprisingly it is totally different than anything else in my collection and has been my favorite drum to play for the last few months. So hopefully that sound isnt going away...

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone here remember "Muffinhead" from the old RMMP newsgroup? I think of him every time there's a piccolo thread posted here because he always touted his Ludwig 3x13 as the best snare he every played.

bonefamily

Reaction score
Love piccolo snare drums. I haven’t owned many - my first was the cheap Mapex steel (13x3 I think it was) which didn’t sound too bad after head changes. Then the Pearl maple 13x3 (M1330) which was better. Don’t have neither now, but this thread got me wanting again...

that Ludwig video posted above is it!