Picco;lo

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had an expensive Sonor mirror Chrome 14" x 3.5" years ago thinking that a piccolo would be great for brushes. It just didn't "sing" in other situations and I sold it a great loss. Since then I have favored deeper (7") but smaller diameter (12") block snare drums.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my ears 3" deep snares are getting too thin sounding for general use, although they can be great for drum and bass etc.
BUT 4" deep snares are totally different thing in my opinion. The difference in thickness between those two relatively speaking is the same as between 5" and 6,65" deep snare would be, so it is significant!
That 4" depth is very versatile, with great and tight focus but also good bottom end that different linger forever. But you need to have a good aim and technique to pull the sound of from shallow snares. They are unforgiving to sloppy playing.

Just take a listen to this N&C SS piccolo, solid maple in 14" x 3 7/8" size. Does it sound thin to you?
Sounds quick BUT fat to me, especially when tuned to medium. I absolutely love this drum!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should get out an old Sonor pancake again that came with a small teardrop kit (13/20). Shell looks like solid beech. It looks odd on the stand (I also might need a higher stand for it) but the sound isn‘t odd, I remember liking the rimshots in particular.
I have several snares that are rather similar, this one is definitely different.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an expensive Sonor mirror Chrome 14" x 3.5" years ago thinking that a piccolo would be great for brushes. It just didn't "sing" in other situations and I sold it a great loss. Since then I have favored deeper (7") but smaller diameter (12") block snare drums.
Sounds like a D420.
They made that one for years.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
My second snare drum was a 3x13 green sparkle Ludwig Jazz Combo. The 4x14 was called the Downbeat. Ludwig didn't start with the piccolo name until they came out with a 3x13 metal snare. Other drum makers followed by calling their pancake snares (wood or metal), the piccolo.

Last edited:

dcdrum

Reaction score
Any love out there for the Carl Palmer Venus snare? I seem to remember reading about issues with the snares or strainer, but wonder if anybody's had good experiences with it. Or if anybody can recommend another affordable option. Preferences for metal or wood even? I've been eyeing various vintage Ludwig Downbeats, but that's a lot of money for an experiment (in my case, never having owned a piccolo). But they are sweeeet looking.