Piccolo Snares In Jazz

Phloid

Reaction score
I happen to love a good piccolo snare. That sharp "crack" is irresistible to me. But these days I'm playing mostly jazz and I'm not sure a piccolo fits that genre. So before I invest in one, I wanted some opinions on their use in jazz and whether they would be a good fit for me.

I've heard what sounds like a piccolo while listening to Jonathan Blake from the Kenny Barron Trio, but I can't be sure.

So does the piccolo have a place in jazz?

Jazz is very subjective. If you are playing jazz and you like the sound of the piccolo snare then use it. There are all kinds of jazz drummers with all kinds of drum tuning.
I happen to love a good piccolo snare. That sharp "crack" is irresistible to me. But these days I'm playing mostly jazz and I'm not sure a piccolo fits that genre. So before I invest in one, I wanted some opinions on their use in jazz and whether they would be a good fit for me.

I've heard what sounds like a piccolo while listening to Jonathan Blake from the Kenny Barron Trio, but I can't be sure.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jazz is very subjective. If you are playing jazz and you like the sound of the piccolo snare then use it. There are all kinds of jazz drummers with all kinds of drum tuning.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm finding out there is no single sound for jazz in this thread and in another one I started awhile back regarding china cymbals in jazz. Maybe my next thread will be "Cowbells in Jazz"! :icon_lol:

Anyway, my piccolo should be arriving on Friday!:)

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
always have a 4 x14 wood/maple/ Taiwan/ snare around Jimmy (for a main/variety)
5 x 12 like the Yamaha Stage Custom (another 99$) (now maybe $109) are excellent side snares when you want to add a dash of hip hop in your grooves.

wood 4 x 14. USA Gretsch ones are astronomical 700-1000$ used...
settle for a lesser build (Lp Ascend 4 x 14 (maple/ish) were very popular and still around)
My Sonor Delite 4x14
Tune it high or low and you are good to go

David M Scott

Reaction score

A few years ago I downsized my kit to a Sonor Safari. The snare is 4in x 14in wood. It had a slightly deeper sound with the batter head and snare provided but I thought it had potential as a Piccolo due to its depth. So I changed to a 40 wire Pure sound snare and a Remo Ambassador coated and Viola’. I started using it for Jazz, putting aside my vintage Pearl 10 lug chrome and really found the Sonor much more sensitive and suited for Jazz.

Burps

Reaction score
I was just browsing Carter McLean's YT channel and saw his demo of the Ludwig Jazz Combo 3 x 13" snare and was amazed how low it could go. Even with an Ambassador on it.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What would you all call this snare? A Piccolo, or something else?

View attachment 450535
Well, piccolo just means "small" in Italian, so the diameter of this drum is small, so yeah, technically it can be considered a piccolo drum. But I think most people think of a shallow shell of say 3" or "3.5 when they mean piccolo. Just from what I've gathered over the years anyway.

By the way, what are the measurements of that drum?

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, piccolo just means "small" in Italian, so the diameter of this drum is small, so yeah, technically it can be considered a piccolo drum. But I think most people think of a shallow shell of say 3" or "3.5 when they mean piccolo. Just from what I've gathered over the years anyway.

By the way, what are the measurements of that drum?
Those snares are 10x4. I actually like them. They are lower volume while conjuring a good tone.

When I hear people say "crack" I cringe. Everyone's mileage may vary, but I'm never looking for high volume, and I'm never looking for "crack". I'm looking for "pop", and I think those little, inexpensive snares deliver that.

Whenever I hear people describe a snare as having a great "crack", I immediately run in the opposite direction. :)

Will never play a metal snare. Metal snares are much more inclined to "crack". Wood snares are much more inclined to "pop".

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those snares are 10x4. I actually like them. They are lower volume while conjuring a good tone.

When I hear people say "crack" I cringe. Everyone's mileage may vary, but I'm never looking for high volume, and I'm never looking for "crack". I'm looking for "pop", and I think those little, inexpensive snares deliver that.

Whenever I hear people describe a snare as having a great "crack", I immediately run in the opposite direction. :)

Will never play a metal snare. Metal snares are much more inclined to "crack". Wood snares are much more inclined to "pop".
I think Joe, (JDA) mentioned in this thread how much he liked the sound of those really smallish snares. They really give the cra...uh sorry, I meant the pop I'm looking for. :D

I must admit, I do look for a nice crack every once in awhile! :laughing5:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And meanwhile, my piccolo has been sitting in a USPS facility in Jersey, about 30 miles from my house in Queens, since very early Wednesday morning, and I still don't have it on Saturday.

I thought for sure I was going to spend my day piccoloing away. I'm sad... :blush:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Jimmy,

Why not just drive out there and pick it up yourself?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jimmy,

Why not just drive out there and pick it up yourself?
I would have had I known it was going to sit there so long. I have no idea why it's stuck there, or moving on so slowly. This one should have been a breeze...

Latest posts