Pick a Big band ride

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sizzle or rivets on the main ride acceptable ?
The 21" Impression in my playlist has two rivets by now. You hardly notice them in the soundfile, but they add some high end sparkle to an otherwise rather dry sounding cymbal. You can still hear the beat. That's the thing: the stick definition/rhythm of the ride should always be clear.
That said, I'd like to reiterate: big bands playing is not about "cutting through". Nobody in the band wants that. It should be a sound that doesn't fight the other instruments, rather complements them.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes!
I had one. Loved it.
Stick is icier..i would put a couple rivets ala Mel Lewis Ride...at 1 and 3 o'clock.

Experiment with sticks.

One of my best big band rides was a 1960s old A with 2 rivets. About 2000 grams. 20"

It was great.

Just enough wash. Really unimpressive ride...but that was the beauty...nothing radical.

I should have kept it. Got it for $150.

Im pretty sure someone here bought it.

This was 5 years ago maybe.

Also a 22" pre aged dry light ride.
Trumpet player said "thats best ride Ive ever heard"

Anything but a rock cymbal or super light bosphorus masters or agop signature.

Dont go for extremes.

All my opinion. But ive been in a big band for 11 years...
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you think a paiste 20" trad medium would work ? Its probably my favorite sounding ride and has a little meat on it.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Looking today at the Zildjian Cymbal Set-UPS of Famous Drummers book, most of the big band drummers of the 60’s and 70’s used 20” ping rides or rock rides...Buddy, Louie, Ed Shaugnessy, Ed Soph, Butch Miles, Don Lamond, Warren Daley, and others. I wonder what caused the shift to darker, washer rides?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you think a paiste 20" trad medium would work ? Its probably my favorite sounding ride and has a little meat on it.
Yes.

The trad medium I have would be nice.... if I were to keep it i would definitely put two rivets in it.

Yeah. I could easily do big band with my paiste trads. I'd want my swish though on the far right.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes.

The trad medium I have would be nice.... if I were to keep it i would definitely put two rivets in it.

Yeah. I could easily do big band with my paiste trads. I'd want my swish though on the far right.
Thanks, I often put a sizzle chain on my trad, but shorten it so it only reaches halfway across. perfection.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking today at the Zildjian Cymbal Set-UPS of Famous Drummers book, most of the big band drummers of the 60’s and 70’s used 20” ping rides or rock rides...Buddy, Louie, Ed Shaugnessy, Ed Soph, Butch Miles, Don Lamond, Warren Daley, and others. I wonder what caused the shift to darker, washer rides?
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis
the duo/trio/quartet/quintet/ within / a big band concept
alternate answer ELVIN JONES

that's a great Lp
download it.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Listening to Louie Bellson I don't hear a ping ride. It's an A, but it sounds more like a medium ride. Ping rides did become more popular with big bands, even Buddy used a very heavy, pingy ride at some point in the 80s, but in hindsight I'd almost view this as a fad.
All those players were endorsers of the US Zildjian company, so they played A.s , it was the only "series" they made. K.Zildjians were imported from Turkey and were not as widespread.

The dark sound goes back to Art Blakey originally. Back in the 40s when he played with Billy Eckstine he was the first to use just two large top cymbals. Elvin, Mel and others picked up on this.
Mel especially had a huge following later on among younger drummers in NYC being interested in big band playing: Adam Nussbaum, Dennis Mackrel, John Riley, Jeff Hamilton et al.

The dark cymbal sound is a bit like the low-pitched snare - the sound might not jump out as much, but gels better with the rest of the ensemble.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
1st draft: Let the "Microphones" worry about your cymbals

Final: Leave it to the "microphones" to worry about your cymbals

Last edited:

Latest posts