Picked up a Gretsch Round Badge kit

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up a Gretsch Round Badge last in what I believe is is Red Glass Glitter.
20, 12, 14 with matching 14x5 snare drum. The wrap looks original with strong color throughout. I do need to remove some tape residue. The reso hoop is split in two but I should be able to glue it back together. The inlay on the reso side needs to be put back on. I noticed that the inlay on both hoops is not quite as vibrant as the rest of the wrap on the drums. The bass tom mount is a lttle rusty, but the rest of the chrome is all in pretty nice shape.

Orange paper tags and mufflers are all present in good shape, but I haven't checked inside the bass to confirm their condition and presence yet.

The bass reso head is super dirty, as is the batter which may be original. I am hoping I can clean up the reso a bit.

I need to source a couple of missing odds and ends to get it back on the road:
2 small screws that hold the backing plate that goes under the strainer to hold the snare wire string in place.
2 bass spur spikes and 2 wing nuts to hold the spikes in place.
8 floor tom tension rods. I haven't measured the ones I have, but they appear to be longer rods maybe 3" or so based on where the lug placement
2 bass drum claws
Gretsch "L" Cymbal arm

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sweet! My first round badge kit was a red orphan 12" & 16", then I found a 14" shell which I had Precision wrap (matches nearly spot on), then I picked up the 20 bass. It's a sweet 12/14/20 and I actually converted the 16 to a bass drum, too, so I have options. Still have that kit......

Love the dark glass glitter but heads are a bit of a pain to put on........enjoy it!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Red Glass floor tom alone is worth 1,xxx,xxx$ (+/-) ; )

Is that a "big lug" 14x14? Oh well, 9xx,xxx$ (+/-) ; ))
Yes, I believe the FT lugs are the bigger style. Don't know if that is good or bad, or just "is". :)

Your drums all look fantastic. Love the Red Pearl finish. I have an orphan snare with a bit of a similar looking wrap showing underneath an overlay of another wrap.

Reactions: JDA

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice kit! Congratulations.

The reso logo head on my kit was also very dirty and full of residue when I got it. I went at it for a good three hours with various cleaners, Comet, bleach, etc., carefully working around the logo. Came out great and very clean/white!

Ptrick

Reaction score
Try the Vintage Gretsch group on Facebook.

Nice score! I have a 20/12/14 re-wrapped in Green sparkle. Amazing drums.
43EDCF1B-14DB-45EA-9FD5-EE8D1040A57C.jpeg

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice kit! Congratulations.

The reso logo head on my kit was also very dirty and full of residue when I got it. I went at it for a good three hours with various cleaners, Comet, bleach, etc., carefully working around the logo. Came out great and very clean/white!
Was one product better than another in cleaning the head? I would be a little worried about bleach even if it is diliuted with water.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Other than having to consider the forum name change (ConvertedGretschPlayer) ... I would imagine those Gretsch drums have you beyond the beyond. I've sat behind the kits for quite a few years and I've never owned a Gretsch Custom kit (plenty of the "other" Gretsch kits ... just not a REAL Gretsch kit). I honestly believe I've missed something big. I am currently shopping.
Considering that ... I'm extree special happy for you. It's always cool when someone fulfills that same dream you have. I'm living vicariously through you for a bit ... hope you don't mind.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Other than having to consider the forum name change (ConvertedGretschPlayer) ... I would imagine those Gretsch drums have you beyond the beyond. I've sat behind the kits for quite a few years and I've never owned a Gretsch Custom kit (plenty of the "other" Gretsch kits ... just not a REAL Gretsch kit). I honestly believe I've missed something big. I am currently shopping.
Considering that ... I'm extree special happy for you. It's always cool when someone fulfills that same dream you have. I'm living vicariously through you for a bit ... hope you don't mind.
HMMM, maybe I shold consider a name change :)

Climb aboard as we are all on the journey together!!! Great post, so thank you for that. All Gretsch drums are great, no matter the model.

I had a rewrapped RB kit a few years ago and sold it - 22, 13, 16 and missed the bark from those 60's drums. I am fortunate enough to have a 2007 Renown and a few years ago lucked into some 80's USA Custom drums including 2 18" bass drums.

I figured I had missed out on these as they had been posted the previous day and I was having some email issues when I first saw the kit. I finally got the email issue cleared up a couple of hours later and sent the email about them. Turns out someone else had been interested before me but ran into a funding issue, so I am very fortunate to have gotten lucky and been able to scoop these up. I have never had a red sparkle or red glass glitter kit, so I was super thrilled when I saw better pictures of the kit and determined they are red glass glitter.

Your dream kit will find you one day, too.