Picked up a Gretsch Round Badge kit

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, and thanks..I'd like to add the matching snare drum some day, if one comes along that isn't too expensive..but for now that Ludwig is a great sub..
I saw a nice one on Ebay yesterday. I have no idea how often this color snare comes up, but I assume not too often. I would think that if someone has a matching kit as I think they would try and hold on to it. If it is an orphan drum without a matching kit or sentimental attachment that may be a different story.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was one product better than another in cleaning the head? I would be a little worried about bleach even if it is diliuted with water.
Can't say one was better. It took some experimentation and intuition. Had to be really careful with the bleach, but that brought back a lot of the whiteness, of course.

I would say, minimally, a gentle scrubbing with soap and water and then some careful work with the bleach as needed. Also, expect to lose some of the roughness of the texture coating. It's inevitable.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can't say one was better. It took some experimentation and intuition. Had to be really careful with the bleach, but that brought back a lot of the whiteness, of course.

I would say, minimally, a gentle scrubbing with soap and water and then some careful work with the bleach as needed. Also, expect to lose some of the roughness of the texture coating. It's inevitable.
I used some Dawn mixed with water and used a war washing sponge to help with some of the dirt and stains. I am going to try a magic eraser sponge next and see how that does before I go the bleach route. The head does have a slit in it on the bearing edge so I don't want to press too hard.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Very nice!

Re: the bass drum hoops, it's wild, but... Gretsch shot a final coat of clear nitro lacquer over the hoops AFTER the inlays were installed. So a lot of the yellowing/fade is due to that stuff aging, you see it all the time.

Here's a very clear example, photo taken from Maxwell's site of a silver Gretsch they had for sale.

Attachments

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very nice!

Re: the bass drum hoops, it's wild, but... Gretsch shot a final coat of clear nitro lacquer over the hoops AFTER the inlays were installed. So a lot of the yellowing/fade is due to that stuff aging, you see it all the time.

Here's a very clear example, photo taken from Maxwell's site of a silver Gretsch they had for sale.
Aaron that is good to know. I have been thinking of sanding and repainting the hoops, but haven't decided. I may just reattach the wrap inlay for now and call it original for now :)

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Update on cleaning the bass drum reso head:
I used a generic version of a Magic Eraser but by itself it did not seem to do anything. I used some Dawn with it and let the mixture of Dawn and water sit on the head for a while, but it wasn't a white as I wanted it to be. Finally, I mixed in a little Borax and gently rubbed the head and this combo seemed to make the biggest difference. It has been a few days and I plan to try it again when I have a little free time.