Picked Up A Practice Pad and Sticks Today

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't care how I hold the stick as long as it fits the situation and whatever my body makes do.
At some point, it's possible to hit a wall and not be able to execute a thing you want to learn because different grips/techniques are strong or weak at certain things.
e.g. I love blues, but if that's all you ever want to play, then you could get away with holding the sticks like cave man clubs and still make wonderful sounds.
If you want to play really fast, concert/marching style fulcrum work is critical.
If you want to play like Buddy, that's hard to do matched.
If you want a Bonzo backbeat, that's hard to do with traditional grip.

Starting off from a matched rudimental rebound control place probably lends itself to the widest range of later adaptations. Pinch at the front; relax the back fingers.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Austin Burcham ABB Drums has some fantastic pad exercises for getting the hands in shape. Look him up on U-Tube.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point, it's possible to hit a wall and not be able to execute a thing you want to learn because different grips/techniques are strong or weak at certain things.
e.g. I love blues, but if that's all you ever want to play, then you could get away with holding the sticks like cave man clubs and still make wonderful sounds.
If you want to play really fast, concert/marching style fulcrum work is critical.
If you want to play like Buddy, that's hard to do matched.
If you want a Bonzo backbeat, that's hard to do with traditional grip.

Starting off from a matched rudimental rebound control place probably lends itself to the widest range of later adaptations. Pinch at the front; relax the back fingers.
That's the grip I'm currently working from.