Picked up an old Yamaha Tour custom kit

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw these on the local offerup and the price seemed right.
Just picked them up this morning and haven’t even had a chance to take them out of the car and check them all out, but the two add on toms were made by Dale Flanigan of Fortune drums in Cleveland. I contacted him already and he had paperwork for the drums from back in 87 when he built them.
Looks like 10-12-13-16-22. I scored a B/O badge super sensitive, a cool 12” paiste splash, and a SK pedal, along with a bunch of junk hardware and cymbals.
We’re the tour customs essentially the same quality as RC’s, minus the lacquer finishes and birch shells?

Attachments

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic drums! Sleepers at the time, i believe the word is out now though. Incredible low end on those too. There were some 8000's with lacquer finishes, well at least black anyway. I own one 18/12/14. You will not be disappointed!

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe RC's have always been 100% Birch, TC / RTC are Birch - Mahogany combo

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tour Customs were made from around 1985-1990. "Custom" for Yamaha means lacquer finish. Cobalt blue was one of those lacquer finishes in regular, power, or turbo sizes. Cobalt blue was only offered on the Tour Customs. Anton Fig played one of those on the Letterman show for a number of years.

The 8000's came in both lacquer and wraps. The wraps were called the Tour series. Same shells and hardware as the Tour Customs. Looking at the size of your drums (10x10 and 12x12?) those could be Turbo Tours. And with those would come a regular 16x16 floor tom and a 22x18 for 24x18 kick drum. The Tours were first introduced in 1981. And if iirc, the Tour Customs first show up in the 1985/86 catalog. They are the same quality of the Rock Tour Customs. The RTC's have more plies of birch/mahogany and the long style tension lugs....built for arena rock projection. Personally, I consider the Tours/Tour Customs to be a more classic and appealing looking drum with the split tail light lugs. Yamaha started using very similar split tail light lugs on their 1977-1980 - 9000 series drums. Another option on the Tours would be the "power" sizes that were 2" deeper than standard. Turbo's had same width and depth...."square" toms.

Your Yamaha badges will confirm size, serial numbers and date of mfg. You'd have one badge that had no data on one side and another badge on the opposite side over the vent hole with data.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I had a Tour Custom Kit in the 80's. 7 piece, beautiful kit. Birch and mahogany shells. They really SANG!!! I still regret selling them. Congratulations! They'll serve you well.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Tour Customs were made from around 1985-1990. "Custom" for Yamaha means lacquer finish. Cobalt blue was one of those lacquer finishes in regular, power, or turbo sizes. Cobalt blue was only offered on the Tour Customs. Anton Fig played one of those on the Letterman show for a number of years.

The 8000's came in both lacquer and wraps. The wraps were called the Tour series. Same shells and hardware as the Tour Customs. Looking at the size of your drums (10x10 and 12x12?) those could be Turbo Tours. And with those would come a regular 16x16 floor tom and a 22x18 for 24x18 kick drum. The Tours were first introduced in 1981. And if iirc, the Tour Customs first show up in the 1985/86 catalog. They are the same quality of the Rock Tour Customs. The RTC's have more plies of birch/mahogany and the long style tension lugs....built for arena rock projection. Personally, I consider the Tours/Tour Customs to be a more classic and appealing looking drum with the split tail light lugs. Yamaha started using very similar split tail light lugs on their 1977-1980 - 9000 series drums. Another option on the Tours would be the "power" sizes that were 2" deeper than standard. Turbo's had same width and depth...."square" toms.

Your Yamaha badges will confirm size, serial numbers and date of mfg. You'd have one badge that had no data on one side and another badge on the opposite side over the vent hole with data.
The 8000 series was an upgrade from the older 7000 series.
As stated, starting in the mid-80's, it was a Birch/"Mahogany" shell.
However, the '81 catalogue, lists the 7000 as "Agathis/Philippine Mahogany".
So the 8000 could be seen as a downgraded 9000 series shell, whereas the 7000 series could be seen as an upgraded 5000 series shell (5000 series used a straight Philippine Mahogany shell).
By '86, the 7000 series had been relegated to an upgraded metal shelled snare drum, using the same mechanism as the 9000 series snare drum, but only adjustable at the Throw-off, like the 5000 series (the 9000 series snare drum is shown with an adjustable butt end).

Elvis

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I consider the 8000's beginning in 1981 to essentially be a continuation of the 7000's....Yamaha's second best line. As far as quality and sound, they were pretty much identical. The lugs were different though...triangles vs. bulbs. Yamaha had so much going on in 1980-1982 when the drum lines and production plants were morphing. Agathis, camellia, Phillipine Mahogany all from the mahogany tree and essentially the same woods - "not birch." I've compared 8000 and 9000DA shells up close - pretty much identical in plies and wood. It's the other 9000 shells that are all birch and in the geneology line to the RC's. From a purely technical standpoint it really was the 9000DA's that became the Tour Series in 1981....with everything remaining the same but the model name....shells, lugs, rims, and mounts. The 7000's were very close but did have some differences from the 8000/9000DA's. All those lines are somewhat scarce today.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, lots of info (of course, this is DFO!) thanks.
For those who didn’t notice, two of the toms are “fakes” built by Dale Flanigan of Cleveland, to match. Although it makes me wonder why the weird sizes.. perhaps this was the remnants of a double kick setup, because the only true Yamaha drums here are the 22, the 16, and the 8.
The PO had 10” and 13” toms built which is a weird interval.. I would’ve had 8-10-12-16 personally

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you mentioned the Flanagan drums in the first post. And those were obviously the ones with the square (not rectangular) funky badges. Not sure why someone just didn't go out and find original cobalt blue Yamaha's used instead of having new drums made....and in a deeper blue color instead of cobalt blue. 8,10,13,16 seems like a decent, even spread to me.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you mentioned the Flanagan drums in the first post. And those were obviously the ones with the square (not rectangular) funky badges. Not sure why someone just didn't go out and find original cobalt blue Yamaha's used instead of having new drums made....and in a deeper blue color instead of cobalt blue. 8,10,13,16 seems like a decent, even spread to me.
I suppose, but it’s strange because the 8 and 10 are up top and the 13 and 16 are on a floor stand. 13 is small for a floor Tom. Personally I like just a 13 and a 16 as a 4 piece.. or a 12 and 16

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I highly regret letting go of a 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 24 Yamaha 8000 (Tour Series) kit. That kit had some amazing tone, punch and warmth. Great pickup!

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Great score! Tour Customs were great drums. Pro quality, great finish, outstanding tone. Manu Katche played them on a couple Sting tours I believe. Tony Saputo, the drummer from Reba's band who died in the plane crash, played the TC as well. I know because worked for a Yamaha dealer in college and they came through our city on tour. He needed a lug replaced on his kit, so I fixed it right on stage on my way to a gig - super nice guy.

Also, I've played a Fortune kit a few times and they are excellent quality as well!

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love mine and they are now my go to live kit. Picked them up a few years ago from a forum member. They are also standard v. power sizes (which I prefer). I actually purchased a 10" and 14" add-on (not pictured) from the former drummer for The Oak Ridge Boys. Very warm and punchy with that pre-EQ'd sound. Evans clear G1 on the bottom with coated Remo Ambassador X on top with a drum-dot gel as needed. To my ear - the birch/mahogany composite shells just sound fatter than the pure birch RCs.
MS+Rocks+10.jpg

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I bought these at a Cleveland garage sale a couple of years ago. They were very inexpensive and thought if I didn't like them, I'd just sell them. Well, they sound great and they are still set up to play in the drum room.

Attachments

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
If anyone has a set of Yamaha ft leg brackets, I might want to buy a set. This thing wasn’t converted to a hanging mount which is kind of goofy