Picked up my first Ludwig Pioneer - 1961

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a Pioneer on my "want" list for a long time, never thought I'd get a 6.5" in this condition. Pre-serial badge, wrap is tight and vibrant with very little fade. Bearing edges are great although it looks like a previous owner did some additional sanding at the snare beds. Original hoops, lugs, tone control, throw off, butt and tension rods from what I can tell. Disassembled everything last night, lugs, swivel nuts and springs all in great shape. No corrosion, rust, oily gunk or blackened cotton balls! Didn't get around to the magnet test last night, were some Pioneer hoops brass? By the time I got everything back together my wife was in bed so I did a preliminary tune up in the garage. 6 lugs feel nice and punchy! It came with an Aquarian Modern Vintage thin but I had a Remo Classic Fit coated ambassador that seemed to fit a little better than the standard ambassador. Going to be a good weekend! :)
P1.JPG P2.JPG P3.JPG P3.JPG P4.JPG P5.JPG

dingaling

Reaction score
That was on reverb for quite a while. Glad someone here got it.
I’m waiting to find an 8 lug 6.5” if ever possible. 6 lugs are fun but too much snare ring for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when it was Ludwig yes; when WFL it was..err. 490 Supreme Concert

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was on reverb for quite a while. Glad someone here got it.
I’m waiting to find an 8 lug 6.5” if ever possible. 6 lugs are fun but too much snare ring for me.
That may have been a different snare. I picked this up from Evolution Music near me in Illinois. The gentleman behind the counter said it arrived that morning (10/22). I believe he said he was only the 2nd owner of the drum.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a 6'5x14 6 lug also .... mines a wfl
they are really good sounding snare drums that's for sure .... i had a 1965 pioneer 5x14
never sounded good to me no matter what heads i used or how i tuned it
you're gonna love that snare drum ...
Beautiful WFL. I've got a few 5.5x14 WFL 6-luggers and an 8-lug 6.5x14 WFL...one day I'll get a 6-lug 6.5x14...one day...