Picked up what I believe to be a Ludwig Parade Master snare—rough date?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was sitting down last night, having a drink, when I discovered this on Facebook:

IMG_20190717_172219180.jpg

I excitedly arranged purchase over the messenger. It was just as I expected it to be: a fairly good aftermarket paint job that I may just keep despite the mahogany revealed through a chip through the primer, possibly an aftermarket snare setup, and no badge: they did such a good job filling all extraneous holes, in fact, that they filled the vent! I may or may not redrill it, depending on how it dials in.

I wish I had this drum a couple of years ago for some things! But, at least I have it now.

Anyway, since the badge is painted as well as the inside, I can only guess this to date to the early 1970s or before; it obviously antedates the gradual tightening to tabletop tension of even twenty years ago. Any ideas?

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are not giving us much to work with to help you.
Three ply or six ply?
Tone control type?
Script or block logo on the butt, if original?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the lack of information!

The strainer assembly, as well as the snares, appear immediately to be MIT. There are indeed re-rings, which I assume to be indicative of a three-ply shell. The badge, for some reason, is removed—I'm having difficulty locating the original location for drilling, in fact, to eliminate choking. While the black lacquer appears to be a decent job, there is a marked seam on the outside of the shell, which may or may not belie a previous wrap. There are black nylon washers on the tension rods. All the holes, including those of the tone control, have been sealed.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the meantime, I'm getting the sound I intended to get out of it, or something close to it. I decided to leave the bottom head at a decidedly lower tension than I usually have them at. These aren't exactly high-tension drums, are they, and are meant to give that bassy, thumpy "field drum" sound that we associate with patriotic music, right?

Latest posts