Pics of my 69 Ludwig SS Hollywood Set

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Attended my 40 year high school reunion this past weekend and had a wonderful time seeing old classmates again. We had enough musicians in our class that we were able to form a 'reunion band' that has played at our 20th, 30th and now 40th class reunions. We always have a great time and loads of fun playing for our classmates. I took my 69 SS Ludwigs that I played in college to use with the reunion band. These are the drums that I sold in 76 to help pay medical bills when my son was born. Sold em to a friend, who sold to another friend (sounds like a song title!) who recently sold them back to me. They were in great shape and all I had to do was give them a little TLC and buy a few minor parts. The Zildjian cymbals came with the set when I bought them in 71. Using an 18" & 20" for crashes and another 20" for a ride and 15" Zildjian 'Rock' hollow logos for the hats. Thought I would post some pics for you to see.

View attachment 107026 View attachment 107027

View attachment 107028 View attachment 107029

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
All around beautiful set. The matching snare is sweet and I really dig the cowbell stand. Nice!
Very cool story too. Thanks for sharing.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Doesn't get any better--the quintessential SS kit. The matching JF really makes it for me. All three owners should be acknowledged for the care they each gave to this kit. Very cool......marko

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Doesn't get any better--the quintessential SS kit. The matching JF really makes it for me. All three owners should be acknowledged for the care they each gave to this kit. Very cool......marko
The set actually came with an acrolite but a band director friend gave me that 1967 JF about 25 years ago. I held on to it and it matched the set so well I couldn't resist using it instead of the acro. It's a great sounding snare. Thanks Marco.

David

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The set actually came with an acrolite but a band director friend gave me that 1967 JF about 25 years ago. I held on to it and it matched the set so well I couldn't resist using it instead of the acro. It's a great sounding snare. Thanks Marco.

David

I clicked on the top two pics, didn't notice the J'Fest... too cool! Man, now you really are my hero! :notworthy:
I've got a Sparkling Blue Pearl set of Super Classics with the original Jazz Fest, it's a great look (and sound) with the matching snare.

Beautiful drums David! :occasion5:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hotpot,you need a 14" fltm for it?
It's here in Mo!
Shameless plug!
They look great,btw!

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Wow! And that cymbal set up! This kit must rock HARD!

Nice!
Thanks, those cymbals will cut through just about anything. However, I posted the description very late at night when I was very tired. The two cymbals listed as 22" are actuall 20"ers. My apologies. I also called it a Downbeat set instead of a Hollywood. I swear I had not been drinking or other funny stuff! It was a long reunion weekend. And I'm getting old too!
:wacko:

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Beautiful! The matching JF really completes it.
If you've held up as well as the drums, you got it made! :occasion5:

I'm hanging in there pretty well so far. Many thanks for the great comments from you and everyone.