PICS UP! Is There Any Such Thing As A 12"x15" Black Galaxy

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hi Mike, hello All,

If I may, a personal note before I get started…

Mike, I’ve been a member here for two years and in that timeI have grown to like and to respect you as a person and more importantly, as a friend. I just want you to know that I consider you every bit as much a friend of mine, as any of the guys I actually get to see and hang out with. With that said…

Since I joined DFO I have participated in three fundraisers, where we collectively put together complete drum kits for virtual strangers. I figured, why the hell not do it for one of our own guys who deserves it every bit as much as anyone else we’ve done this for.

Everybody within earshot who has been a member here longer than a week, knows that, Mike Layton is always in the background, watching over us kids at play and making sure nobody gets hurt. DFO is a great place to hang out because of all the ‘time’ and behind the scenes ‘work’ that goes on in order to maintain this ‘drummers kiddy camp’ that many of us call home here in cyberspace.If it wasn’t for Mike (and all of the mods,) DFO just wouldn’t be DFO.

So, in gratitude for all his time and hard work making this place the great hang out that it is and because if I have to read one more of these posts from Mike:

“I’ve been looking for a 12” x 15” Black Galaxy floor tomfor two years”

... my head will explode! Mike, every time I read that statement, I would think to myself;“Mike is never going to find one… and if he does, it’s going to be so expensive he probably won’t be able to afford it.

Mr. Layton, because your dream drum doesn’t seem to exist in the real world, a bunch of us got together and made one for you. The drum in the photos below is on the way to you as we speak. It’s a ‘new’vintage, 12” x15” Black Galaxy Club Date floor tom.

Your wish was our cue. From your friends at DFO I am very proud to present you with this drum as a token of our gratitude for working so hard to make DFO the cool place that it is and in friendship from your brothers and sisters here at DFO.

Look for a pm from me with some background story on the drum.

I invite everyone to post and give Big Mike some of the love he deserves. That he has earned.

Mike, if you soil your Pampers when you see the drum, we will understand. Here’s some details about your new drum: The shell is a late 50’s NOS(undrilled!) 3-ply Mahogany shell with Rock Maple re-rings. The wrap is modern Black Galaxy Sparkle that came from a damaged bass drum in two pieces. I am really proud of the wrap job I did on the drum. I placed the two seams of the back piece under two adjacent lugs. The tension rods cover the seams perfectly in the back of the drum so that no seam shows at all in any panel. The hardware, the heads, every component of this drum was donated by your friends here at DFO. (See pm.)

It wasn’t easy. A lot of people really stretched out in order to make this happen for you, Mike. Every time you look at your new drum,see it for the testament to the big-love and friendship we all feel for you.You’re a good man. On behalf of the members of DFO and especially on behalf of all who contributed, may I say…

Enjoy your new/old drum for many years to come.

John & Your friends at DFO

* I'll post a separate thread about the building of the drum later. Look for it.

C

cpj83

Great work John. Thanks to all that helped with this project!

Ol' Mike is gonna crap his chaps!

Here's to you bro!

Chris

PS - good things come to good people, and Mike IS good people! :)

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Mike's out on the Harley today, when he gets home and sees this, he's going to soil his Huggies! LOL

John

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
well........ :shock:

i'm not sure quite what to say here(that doesnt happen often :blackeye: )! this is very special and very touching. john-i just cannot believe it. it looks amazing! never could i imagine something like this in my wildest dreams.

i dont know all or actually any of the details yet, but i sure want to thank you john from the bottom of my heart. thank you as well to any of you that had a part in this.

ive been looking long and hard for one of these. and yeah, i'd probably never find one. but now, i wouldnt care anyway. this is the drum that i want with my kit!!

john has some amazing drumbuilding energy and puts even more energy into fellowship with all of us here. i'm honored to call you a friend as well john. this forum has been a blessing for me and i enjoy every minute that i spend here. its usually the first thing i do in the mornings and the last thing i do before i hit the sack,with plenty of in betweens as well. it feels awesome being a part of getting to know you all here.

well, no pampers today for me, but i'm smiling from ear to ear!! i dont know how you all pulled this off. again, i cannot thank you enough!! i'm floored...

all right. now for the drum nerd in me, details. i need details!! how does it sound john? it looks killer.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

mike

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
great drum, great story!
mike, you have a HUGE footprint here. i think of ya when i see odd galaxy stuff on ebay and such. haha... i'm glad you's gettin' the drum you want for your kit. we need pix when it gets home! (goes without sayin, right?)

To all involved in creating this drum.......WOW! that's all i can say!

whoever scored an UNDRILLED 50's shell gets the "treasure hunter of the year" award in my book!

BTW John..... did you paint the interior of the drum?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i cant stop looking at the pics!!

whether he painted the interior or not is cool with me. my bass drum is circa 61-62 with the raw maple interior. my ride tom is a march 65 drum with resacote and my pioneer is a 64 with resacote as well. so either way, i'm golden! :icon_smile:

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Looks like you're going to have one of each! LOL This one is 3-ply Mahogany with Maple re-rings. See photo.

> [font="tahoma][size="2"]whoever scored an UNDRILLED 50's shell gets the "treasure hunter of the year" award in my book![/size][/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Bzz, it was an ebay score. I snagged it after it had only been listed for about 15 minutes. Nobody else had a chance to see it. It was a score. The shell is beautiful and the drum sounds great. I have it tuned down low and it growls. I'll include some shots of the drum at different stages of build. It took over a month to do this. Thank you to everyone who gave so quickly and generously. All I had to tell them was; it's for Mike Layton and they all pitched in big-time. I'll pm Mike privately with all the background story. It's a goodie.[/size][/font]

[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Here are some shots I took along the way...[/size][/font]

[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]John[/size][/font]

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, you deserve it buddy! I didn't have any parts to be able to contribute to this, but I would have in a second. Enjoy it and play it 'til the day you die! :)

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ahhh..more pics. :icon_smile: i really love that interior label. that is perfect! i'm glad you left the interior finish. its beatiful. nos shell,wow. was it drilled for anything,badge, or nothing at all? how cool is it that you have a 12x15 floor tom to use as a template john? :icon_smile:

jeremy-thanks. you know i rarely sell any gear. and i would certainly never cut this loose.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
It's a converted marcher, Mike. The only thing the shell had was the beds and two tiny holes for a strainer. No lug holes or anything else. Virgin shell really.The bearing edges are all A-1 and heads tune up easy. And yes, I used my 59' as a template. I hope you noticed it's an 8 lugger! I included a hard-shell case for the drum so it has a dedicated case.

You're good to go, Ace! Photos of it with the rest of the kit when it arrives.

John

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
John and whoever else is involved in this---outstanding! :occasion5:
Mike---can't think of anybody more deserving. That will look so good with your Black Galaxies... :cool:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
dang john. a case too? it just keeps getting better! i did notice it was an 8 lugger. ought to sound wonderful. :icon_smile:

mike

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Now. . . Who is this drum for? If its for sale I'll open the bids for $50 dollars. . It looks great . . . congrats honey bun :drunken: Now fix the damn roof and get cuttin those 8 acres of grass already down at Mikes Harley Farm. . .. :love6:

B O O M

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
John and whoever else is involved in this---outstanding! :occasion5:
Mike---can't think of anybody more deserving. That will look so good with your Black Galaxies... :cool:
mark

thanks buddy! i appreciate it. i'm excited about its arrival.

i also want to once again thank anybody and everybody involved. i'd like to do so individually but mr shuffle hasnt shed any light on details as of yet. just want to make sure everyone knows how grateful i truly am. :icon_smile:

mike

Latest posts