Pictures of the kit your currently playing.

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buzz,

I appreciate your post bc most of the RB dudes are like "They're amazing!" "They're awesome" "They have the BEST TONE EVAR"

But when I spoke to Jim Petty here in Dallas, along with a number of other vintage guys, I keep getting the "Gretsch is overrated" response; in fact, when I told JP I was looking at RB kits, he responds "gretsch?!?......really?"

Apparently the kits were inconsistent, but I guess the same could be said ab any company aside from Rogers.

Even after I just typed all of that, I will still own a blue, anniversary, or tangerine glass RB in my life at some point.

You should just get rid of those drums and sell to me sir.
I will be the first to admit...I own a anniversary sparkle kit as of now that I got at a great price...they sound like s**t..sorry for all you gretsch lovers...maybe it's just my kit..Can't wait to sell them hahaha!
After that glowing review, good luck selling them here!

Yo!

Reaction score
Buzz,

I appreciate your post bc most of the RB dudes are like "They're amazing!" "They're awesome" "They have the BEST TONE EVAR"

But when I spoke to Jim Petty here in Dallas, along with a number of other vintage guys, I keep getting the "Gretsch is overrated" response; in fact, when I told JP I was looking at RB kits, he responds "gretsch?!?......really?"

Apparently the kits were inconsistent, but I guess the same could be said ab any company aside from Rogers.

Even after I just typed all of that, I will still own a blue, anniversary, or tangerine glass RB in my life at some point.

I will be the first to admit...I own a anniversary sparkle kit as of now that I got at a great price...they sound like s**t..sorry for all you gretsch lovers...maybe it's just my kit..Can't wait to sell them hahaha!
Hahahaha blkonyx you punk you tried to slang those things to me!

davidh

Reaction score
recently got these - 1961 Premier 12x8 16x18 20x14 14x4 in black pearl and immaculate condition

The Gretsch Catalina Club jazz on the left is the main gigging set but these are definitely going to get an outing soon

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
recently got these - 1961 Premier 12x8 16x16 20x14 14x4 in black pearl and immaculate condition

The Gretsch Catalina Club jazz on the left is the main gigging set but these are definitely going to get an outing soon
Great drums... none better... from Premier's GOLDEN age! Played by Sam Woodyard, Philly Joe Jones (post Gretsch), Kenny Clarke... his slightly later model is shown here:View attachment 77953 http://www.maxwelldrums.com/kenny-clarkes-premier-p-1753.html
Me in Rome; 1964 .. new drums; new brideView attachment 77955
You're a lucky bloke! That's a great snare... one of my favs!
Here's mine:View attachment 77954... great for moderate volume acoustic jazz piano trio.

Ron

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My Slingerland Studio Kings 20/12/14 and my brand new Ludwig Legacys 22/12/16!

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ron,

This picture is so amazing....
I was thinking the same thing.
Thanks guys. I'm very proud of that picture.
I was trebly blessed;
1. My bride
2. to have been married in Rome
3. To have had as a friend, the brilliant photographer, Tony Luraschi... who took the pic at the rehearsal, as well these:
View attachment 77968 This is what a civil marriage ceremony in Rome looks like!
View attachment 77969 ... at the reception following.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Michael....

Hehehehehehe ! that just ain't right.... please reassure the

masses that you will providing a snare upgrade.

..that's classic...reminds me of the time I forgot to bring

my snare (only have about a hundred of them...) got to play a

???Maxwell ....hehehehehehehe !

Peace, Chas
Chas, an amazing thing happened last night. I did play the kit shown in the photo and got through it. Incredibly, this gorgeous woman and I somehow became an item before the evening was over (that photo was not taken at the jam):

She and will be at another jam Thursday night. Probably the same backline kit, but I will post fresh photos - of both of us. (She is a lot older than she looks ... she was blessed with what looks like perpetual youth).

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
recently got these - 1961 Premier 12x8 16x18 20x14 14x4 in black pearl and immaculate condition

i've never been a Premier guy but those are gert lush.

Royal Ace those pics of your wedding day are amazing, post some more. :notworthy:

A Stick

Reaction score
Ok Folks;

Here's my main gigging kit. It's a 1987 Gretsch Caribbean Blue (24x16, 18x18, 16x16, 14x14 (not shown) and 12x10 with a Dunnett 14x6.5 Titanium snare. The cymbals are all Paiste (24 Giant Beat, 22 2002 crash, 20 Giant Beat and 15 Twenty High hats). I bought this kit off one of Iggy Pop's former drummers.

This kit sounds amazing and definitely has some MOJO! :-D

Cheers;

A Stick

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buzz,

Count me in on this one. I have a RB kit I paid $300.00 for that doesn't do it for me either. The oversize shells and glass glitter make fitting heads a nightmare. The kit sounds OK but I like the sound of my Renown kit way better. MY SSB kit is decent too, so I do like Gretsch, just my RB is only OK to my ears.

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
Michael....

amazing indeed...go slow...that appears to be a worthwhile pursuit.

Guitar and drums... i like.

Peace, Chas

DustyElmer

Reaction score
Ludwig Super Classics! They were originally B.O.P. but I just got them re-wrapped in gold sparkle in July, and I had the old tom mount replaced with a rail.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig Super Classics! They were originally B.O.P. but I just got them re-wrapped in gold sparkle in July, and I had the old tom mount replaced with a rail.
Nice. And I like the choice in finish. I know a lot of folks like BOP, but I much prefer your wrap.

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ron....

Great photos... I have nothing to compare with that quality... but I did

find two young lovers 35 years ago.... Civil Ceremony ... Basel, Switzerland...

in the presence of total strangers. I no longer resemble the kid in the

photo....but I do remember the Princess made her own wedding dress.

we had no clue....

think we had a little Kodak Pocket Instamatic.

Peace, Chas

View attachment 78026

Latest posts