Piece of equipment that's stuck with you

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Was tearing some drums down last night and realized something interesting. I've been playing for 30 years and have had numerous kits, cymbals, etc, but one piece of equipment has been constant since high school-my Pearl hihat clutch! This thing holds like no other, sadly though the bottom plastic locking nut is starting to go. Such a random find, I'd never even thought about it.

Do you have some random gear that's stuck around thick and thin?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the few accessories that I have kept from my early days of drumming (1960s) is the hex wrench that came with my Gretsch Progressive Jazz kit. I still use it today for the sole purpose of tightening the rail consolette hex nuts on my vintage Ludwig kit. I works better than anything else I've tried, providing plenty of leverage without the fear of it stripping the nut.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think thats cool Tillerva, after almost 50 years of playing I dont think I have a single thing from days gone by.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Zildjian New Beats my mom bought for me 34 years ago. They were for my first pair of nice cymbals and were my prized possession. My mom saved up for quite a while to be able to buy them. I will never part with them other than to leave them for one of our children.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have a 16" A Medium Crash that my parents got me for Christmas in 1986--it still looks and sounds great. I was going thru an old cymbal bag recently and found a 18" Amir Crash!! I used to use it all the time back in the day since it was my first Crash cymbal i ever got (summer of 86 i think). I haven't hit it forever so I set it up on my practice kit just for fun and it actually sounded pretty good!! Kinda one-dimensional but not too bad...certainly better than the previous crop of ZBT's lol!!
My OLDEST is still the best--when I got my very first no-name 3-piece kit in the summer of '86 it literally had tin pie-pans for hi/hats and would actually INVERT if I put too much pressure on the hat pedal, BUT... the kit also included a 20" A Medium Ride w/a metal grommet to prevent keyholes. It was EASILY worth more than everything else I got!! It is probably from the late 60s/early 70s and still sounds AMAZING!! I don't use it much these days but I will never part with it...

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably my oldest piece of drum gear is an 8" Zildjian splash that was used way back in my dixieland days in the early 1980's. I also have hardware that has been in use through 4 different kits .. hi-hat stand, bass drum pedal, cymbals stands and various clamps and cymbal stand extensions......

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
two items....1st is a Sabian 22" paragon ride, the perfect live cymbal with a killer bell, and the 2nd is my Dixon magnetic drop clutch. It has zero slop when connected, never fails

Iristone

Reaction score
Technically I've never sold my acoustic kit, e-kit, any snare, but my Ludwig Legacy, I'll probably keep it till I die! Then I'll probably give it to my most trusted/promising drummer friend I'll've known by then (that's if they still play drums in say 2090 heh). :wink:
Oops, just remembered, I said I should have quit bragging 'bout that particular drum somewhere yesterday. :silent:

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have the very first pair of sticks I ever got. Came with the snare in the generic snare kit that my mom bought me. I recall not being able to use them because the music teacher insisted that all his students play 2B sticks.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have several items.

22" A Zildjian medium ride that came with my first drum set in 1963. I was told the kit was 4 years old, so it would be 61 years old at least. it's on my home set, and gets played regularly.

A Premier flat stand base I got new in 1966. I use it as a base for a tip jar now.

10" A splash bought circa 1977. Also still in regular use.

I also have a 13" A that according to its stamp was made in the 30's. It was part of a set of very thin hihats I bought over 20 years ago on the Net. I use it as a large splash. I gave its mate to a drummer friend who found it works perfectly with his set of A Customs. I like playing an 80+ year old cymbal.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Pearl single-braced red label (800 series?) hi-hat stand that I bought new when I got back into drumming around 1987. It's all I gigged with until several months ago when I replaced it with a Tama lever glide. It served me well but I longed for something with more mechanical advantage for my tired 65 year old feet.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Back in '62 I thought I was throwing money away when I bought a $7 set of brushes. They still work well. In fact I was practicing double strokes with brushes this morning and my old brushes are better than the new ones from China,,,of course the new ones only cost $4. I am one of those guys that never gets rid of anything so I have never sold anything off my drum equipment.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of Zildjian New Beats my mom bought for me 34 years ago. They were for my first pair of nice cymbals and were my prized possession. My mom saved up for quite a while to be able to buy them. I will never part with them other than to leave them for one of our children.
Same here....but they are 15” New Beats and it was my Dad who bought them for me in.....1978!

He called me from the music store-“Are you sure you need 15s? The guys here said most people use 14s.”
I insisted on the 15s lol. I can’t imagine what they cost him....

Still have them and use them.

Last edited:

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I actually have quite a lot. my Bought brand new 1969 Ludwig acrolite, my 1973 Ludwig Supra 402, all my paiste 2002 1973 cymbals, my ralph kester ching ring.