Ping-iest ride?

Targalx

Reaction score
I LOVE a ride that has a really loud, cutting PING. I never crash on my rides, I always play on the surface of the ride or the bell. I currently have a 22" AAX Metal Ride that I sent to Sabian to have it refreshed with a Brilliant finish. It is very pingy. But it is still not as pingy as my former ride: a Paiste 3000 22" Reflector Power Ride. Wow, that thing could cut through just about any blaring Marshall stack! I want the audience to hear my quarters and eighths on the ride as clear as day, needs to cut through a fuzzed out 100-watt Marshall stack and an Ampeg SVT stack, un-miked.

[I had a couple 2002 rides, a 22" Power and a 22" Heavy. They were pingy, but too "glassy" sounding to be extremely definite, as Paiste 2002s can usually be.]

Do you know of any ride cymbal that has a louder, clearer ping than the aforementioned? And no, the Zildjian Ping Ride is NOT as pingy as these (coming from someone who had one 20 years ago).

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although I think the 3000 power ride should Should have donr the job you can try the signature power ride. Or a zildjian mega bell

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had posted almost the exact same question here a few years back. I'm like you--not big on washy rides--bring the Ping baby!! Anyway, I narrowed it down to a 22 Paragon and 21 Raw Bell Dry side by side at GC. Ended up taking home the RBDR because it was 50 bucks cheaper and a 22 wouldn't really fit in my cymbal case and it sounded VERY close to the Paragon.
I still have (and use) a 20 A Custom Ping (although it can be "glassy" at times), and a regular K Custom Ride that has a wonderful ping. I used it recently at a few outdoor gigs and on the recordings made out front it sounded incredible--even better than the drivers seat!
One note about the RBDR--it ONLY sounds great (to me) with nylon tips. With wood it's too low-pitched and gongy, but nylon makes it really come alive and sparkle!!

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
I’ve owned pretty much every pingy ride, and it’s a toss up between the Zildjian Earth Ride, Sabian Lunar Ride and a Paiste Dimensions Mega Bell. Paiste Dark Dry is very pingy as well.

Targalx

Reaction score
I’ve owned pretty much every pingy ride, and it’s a toss up between the Zildjian Earth Ride, Sabian Lunar Ride and a Paiste Dimensions Mega Bell. Paiste Dark Dry is very pingy as well.
Ah. I’ve never played any of these. Are any of these bright? I love an insanely bright ride for rock stuff. Seriously, the brighter, the pingy-er, the better.

Targalx

Reaction score
Although I think the 3000 power ride should Should have donr the job you can try the signature power ride. Or a zildjian mega bell
Yeah. The 3000 Power Reflector Ride is the closest I’ve ever gotten to my ideal rock ride. Bright, pingy, cutting, definite, loud...really a good rock cymbal for me that’s hard to find at a decent price these days.

REF

Reaction score
I LOVE a ride that has a really loud, cutting PING. I never crash on my rides, I always play on the surface of the ride or the bell. I currently have a 22" AAX Metal Ride that I sent to Sabian to have it refreshed with a Brilliant finish. It is very pingy.
I just got an AAX Metal ride. I love ping but, also like some spread. Most rides of that weight class are too one dimensional,"plate" sounding to me but, I was surprised at the overall tone of this cymbal. The bell is unreal. I got a tremendous deal on it off Reverb.

The thing is, I didn't get it for a ride. I got it to send to Nick Moon who is going to turn it into a Pang/Flat Chinese for me. I'm sending it off tomorrow.

Latest posts