Ping-iest ride?

tripp2k

Reaction score
Zildjian 21" Rock Ride is what's pictured in Webster's definition of a ping ride.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
While it may not be the most pingy, I recently played a dirty 22 A Ping...and really liked it. Wouldn’t mind one to have around.

Blisco

Reaction score
20” K Custom Dry Ride has an unreal amount of ping.
This is what I play. I just adore the bell. The ride is super distinct. Practically zero wash.

My other go-to is the 21 HHX Dry ride. Probably pick another one of those up soon as I miss that cymbal the most.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just about any of the Paiste pro line power rides will do. I happen to have a 22" Dimensions Power ride that is really pingy. I also have a 22" Signature Dry Dark that is dry and pingy but much darker and quieter compared to the Dimensions.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I guarantee a simple 24" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride is louder and more pingy than every other single ride mentioned in this thread already. I love hard and loud rock, I had to get rid of that cymbal because it was so heavy, loud, and pingy. It literally will give you hearing damage.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 22” A custom ping has way more then my AAX metal ride. My best is a 24” Meinl MB20 pure metal ride.

bubo

Reaction score
Just take ANY ride your preferred size and half a coil of duct tape... :angel4:

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Try the Meinl Byzance Brilliant Heavy Hammered 22". That one is quite pingy.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just take ANY ride your preferred size and half a coil of duct tape... :angel4:
Question is:how loud does it need to be?
Interestingly, weight isn‘t directly proportionate to ping. Some heavier cymbals aren‘t actually loud. Others are, it doesn’t only depend on how hard you hit.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste
sig heavy bell, dry heavy, dry dark, any of the power rides. Most are no longer made.

Sabian
HH rock, power bell, leopard ride (maybe) AAX Metal, That old metal x line I think it was

Zildjian
Earth ride, the old Z line Had an A rock ride bought new med 80's, granted I was just a dumb teen drummer, I didn't find it "pingy"

felis

Reaction score
I guarantee a simple 24" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride is louder and more pingy than every other single ride mentioned in this thread already. I love hard and loud rock, I had to get rid of that cymbal because it was so heavy, loud, and pingy. It literally will give you hearing damage.
Did it have an obnoxious 'ring' to it though.
I've had a couple heavy rides that had a nice ping with little wash, but an underlying ring to it that gets hard to take.
Sort of like all the wash that should be there gets compressed into one small irritating frequency band.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in the A Custom Projection series of rides. I had a 21" for years that had excellent ping, the 21" in that size is the perfect rock ride.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I've already replied but I'll add that I just picked up a 22 A ping ride and it's a far cry from the pinginess of a lot of cymbals I've had.
Someone mentioned the Z line and they are real pingy.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had posted almost the exact same question here a few years back. I'm like you--not big on washy rides--bring the Ping baby!! Anyway, I narrowed it down to a 22 Paragon and 21 Raw Bell Dry side by side at GC. Ended up taking home the RBDR because it was 50 bucks cheaper and a 22 wouldn't really fit in my cymbal case and it sounded VERY close to the Paragon.
I still have (and use) a 20 A Custom Ping (although it can be "glassy" at times), and a regular K Custom Ride that has a wonderful ping. I used it recently at a few outdoor gigs and on the recordings made out front it sounded incredible--even better than the drivers seat!
One note about the RBDR--it ONLY sounds great (to me) with nylon tips. With wood it's too low-pitched and gongy, but nylon makes it really come alive and sparkle!!
I found the paragon got lost in the mix as it was too dry for me

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've hesitated to reply to this topic because loud pingy rides aren't exactly my thing but I'll state with confidence that most of the Rotocast UFiP ride cymbals will have very loud and cutting bells unlike anything else available in the cymbal industry.
I've never heard any other cymbal bells that cut with the clarity, distinction & musicality of a UFiP rotocast ride.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found the paragon got lost in the mix as it was too dry for me
Hmm...I'm glad I went with the RBDR after all. I do have to say that the RB really doesn't THRILL me when played by itself, unlike all of my other rides, but within the context of a band situation it sounds pretty awesome, and the bell is always killing!

Latest posts