header.nohb.html

Ping Ride - Which One Should I Try First?

LAViking

Reaction score
Finally received my ping rides. Which one should I try first. Decisions, decisions…

6E67706B-90CF-4C95-B63C-AE89A3862268.jpeg

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22” Z from around ‘82 that I played for years. Great cymbal that I always thought was quite versatile. YMMV

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I'd like you to give that Paiste a go first and share a review before moving on to the Z.
Paiste makes a designated Ping Ride? I told you guys I don't get out of the County often.
It's a looker for sure.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That A looks like a redesign and is way thinner than an older A. I have one and it's crashable! The Paiste looks awfully intriguing and gorgeous to boot.

Dan

LAViking

Reaction score
Try the Zildjian first... that way you can list it for sale sooner and keep the Paiste.
Lol, that is pretty hilarious. I’m gonna keep both i think. I have a full set of A’s already so the Z Ping Ride will compliment the others nicely.

Now for the comparison:

The Z has slightly more overtone and wash to it compared to the Paiste. The Paiste is heavier and has a much more pronounced ping with a subtle wash that gradually builds as you ride it on the polished section. On the unlathed section the ping is slightly less bright, with less build in the overtones with the tip of the stick. They are both crashable and neither are gongy, if that makes sense. The overtone volume of the Paiste quiets down faster than the Zildjian after a crash and the bell is quite a bit louder as well. They both have a long sustain, but I think the Zildjian carries longer in the mid and low frequencies.

I am going to pair these up with my Sweet Ride in the traditional position and either of these two just over the hats. I am ambidextrous so I play open handed and the ping makes more sense for me on the left.

Maybe the use case for these two is the Paiste for live and the Z Ping Ride for recording to match the tone of my other A’s.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I am done buying cymbals for now. Haha.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally received my ping rides. Which one should I try first. Decisions, decisions…

View attachment 544946

I'd say Paiste.
Been playing over 45 years, my first cymbals were Zildjian back in like 1977 and they both cracked around the bell, and I don't play hard or abuse my cymbals. Switched to Paiste 2002s in 1979 and never cracked a cymbal again. I'm still using seven that are at least 35 years old.
My rides are 20 and 22 inch 2002s.
13,15,17,19 inch crashes, 8,10,12 splash, two pairs of 14 inch sound edge hihats all 2002s.
And a couple from the other lines like 602, twenty series, pstx... Even my 35 years old 10 inch splash hasn't cracked yet, and I expected it to be the first, but not yet.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Palmer used the discontinued Sig. heavy bell ride for years.
This one has the look of the heavy bell and dry dark rides.
I said I was done buying cymbals but, I have to have one of these! Wish it was a 21 or 22"

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To truly appreciate these you really need to hear them from a distance and hearing them in the context of the full band makes a difference as well.