Ping / Rock Ride

petereather

Reaction score
Looking to add ride cymbal currently playing a 80s ping looking for good definition but crashable big bell . Played a kit last week up at my cabin little jam Zyljian 20 ride awsome sound great ping and wash and crash I was a little buzzed up tried to talk the guy out of it . NO I saw no markings so it is a mystery have to go back with my gram scale . The turnings looked like A it was not a coustom . Could it be a sweet

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone may come along and correct me, but I’ve never seen an A sweet ride under 21”. Older A rock rides wouldn’t generally be considered crashable unless you’re playing real loud so you might want to investigate A medium rides of different weights and eras

petereather

Reaction score
Someone may come along and correct me, but I’ve never seen an A sweet ride under 21”. Older A rock rides wouldn’t generally be considered crashable unless you’re playing real loud so you might want to investigate A medium rides of different weights and eras
So would the sweet ride be the 1 to look at ?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ot doesn’t sound like the cymbal you liked was likely to be a sweet ride but they might be worth checking out. The sweet rides I’ve played didn’t have much ping as such, more of a washy vibe with some stick definition. Ny best guess is you were playing an A medium ride so try to check out some of them

petereather

Reaction score
Ot doesn’t sound like the cymbal you liked was likely to be a sweet ride but they might be worth checking out. The sweet rides I’ve played didn’t have much ping as such, more of a washy vibe with some stick definition. Ny best guess is you were playing an A medium ride so try to check out some of them
I have 3 mediums 2 20s 1 22 the all have more wash only ping tight near bell . crash to much sustain . The 1 I played was short sustain . could be that 1 in a 100

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 3 mediums 2 20s 1 22 the all have more wash only ping tight near bell . crash to much sustain . The 1 I played was short sustain . could be that 1 in a 100
It definitely could be. Zildjian’s been making medium a’s for decades in a huge range of weights. The sweet ride would be washier than most modern mediums. If you can get a weight on the cymbal you liked that would help point you in the right direction. A measurement of the bell would also help some of the more knowledgable members here guess the model

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The discontinued A Deep ride might be interesting as well. More crashable than a Ping, but equally pingy. I have a late 70s/early 80s one that is very heavy and loud - but crashable. The same performance but in a lighter weight would be awesome. Maybe a more recent Medium ride, on the heavier side of how they are made these days, might work. Or a plain K ride, these always tended to be more crashable than As, due to the lower profile maybe.

DrumPhil

Reaction score
I had a ping years ago, and it was definitely NOT crashable. Its strengths were clear stick definition for ride patterns and good volume for rock music. The bell was okay but not great, as I remember it. It was not a cymbal made for sensitive playing.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Def wasn’t a sweet ride. Could of be a regular a ride or medium. The medium I have has a lot more ping.

petereather

Reaction score
I am heading to the cabin soon bringing my scale along . Thanks to all I will let you know . Hope its not that 1 and a 100

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into 22 K Heavy rides, especially on the lighter end of the weight spectrum. They can be awesomely crash-able while retaining rock solid ping/bell sounds. They're subject to a lot of variability though, which is why I recommend looking for lighter cymbals. I've played about five different cymbals in that line and three were right in line with what you describe above, while the other two were frustratingly limited to all ping/no crash/wash.

Zildjian discontinued the 22, but stills offers a 20 K Heavy. I've never played the smaller cousin, but I imagine the same logic applies.

Also, I should plug the redesigned 24 A Medium, which has a great crash and ping, but a slightly less robust bell. That's what I play at the moment and I like it quite a bit (but to me the bell is the least critical of the three characteristics discussed)

JimmyM

Reaction score
Good discussion. I've bought two rides already, and I'm not 100% happy with either of them. The 20" Diril trad ping/ride is way too washy to use in anything but jazz but makes an awesome bell or giant crash, and the Sabian SR2 21" heavy is about the best bell I ever heard and a great bright sound without going too overboard with ring, but to me it's a tad too bright. So I've got Papa Bear and Mama Bear, and I need Baby Bear.

Paiste18

Reaction score
I have played Paiste for over 30 years. I like a heavier ride sound with a nice bell and good ping. I just added a 24" Classic 2002. I just did a recording if you want to hear how it sounds mixed in a rock environment. You can also check the video with the PST8s and hear the sound of that ride. The PST8 is a 22" Rock Ride, they are super affordable with a pretty impressive sound. I use the PST8s for live performances and the 2002s for recording. Here is a link if you want to give a listen:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Look into 22 K Heavy rides, especially on the lighter end of the weight spectrum. They can be awesomely crash-able while retaining rock solid ping/bell sounds. They're subject to a lot of variability though, which is why I recommend looking for lighter cymbals. I've played about five different cymbals in that line and three were right in line with what you describe above, while the other two were frustratingly limited to all ping/no crash/wash.

Zildjian discontinued the 22, but stills offers a 20 K Heavy. I've never played the smaller cousin, but I imagine the same logic applies.

Also, I should plug the redesigned 24 A Medium, which has a great crash and ping, but a slightly less robust bell. That's what I play at the moment and I like it quite a bit (but to me the bell is the least critical of the three characteristics discussed)
I agree about the K heavy. Or even the regular K rides are nice.