header.nohb.html

Pink Oyster Pearl Wrap

Josh G.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1959-1960 transition badge Ludwig kit. It had been re-wrapped in black gloss by a previous owner and I don't love the look so I am going to re-wrap it again. I would like to wrap it in Pink Oyster Pearl, but different wrap maker's/sellers seem to have different versions. Does anyone know where I can get pink oyster pearl that looks just like the true vintage Ludwig pink oyster pearl?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a tall order. As far as I know there hasn't been an accurate reproduction of that wrap since the original was discontinued in the 1960s. Ludwig's current oyster pink, which probably is exclusive to them at the moment, isn't really the same ( I call it "peppermint strata"...it's cool but not really anything like oyster pink).

My guess is your best bet would be either Bum Wrap or possibly Walopus. In either case those wraps would be scans of originals. As such they lack the pearly depth that the originals had, being, in essence, a photograph of the original. They do the trick from any distance though.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I spent a long time looking for a good, modern repro of that Pink Oyster wrap and it's not out there. IIRC, Delmar made under exclusive contract to Ludwig for Ludwig's vintage repro's and Sakae got some too but Delmar won't sell to Precision Drum or schlubs like us.

I ended up using a Black and White Oyster from Delmar. Precision ordered it and wrapped the drums for me.

49964606823_d30640901b_b.jpg

Josh G.

Reaction score
I spent a long time looking for a good, modern repro of that Pink Oyster wrap and it's not out there. IIRC, Delmar made under exclusive contract to Ludwig for Ludwig's vintage repro's and Sakae got some too but Delmar won't sell to Precision Drum or schlubs like us.

I ended up using a Black and White Oyster from Delmar. Precision ordered it and wrapped the drums for me.

I ended up ordering from Walopus drum wrap. I sent pictures of the one I was looking for and asked him if he could try and make it as close as possible to the picture and he said yes. Maybe I'll post it when I receive it.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I ended up ordering from Walopus drum wrap. I sent pictures of the one I was looking for and asked him if he could try and make it as close as possible to the picture and he said yes. Maybe I'll post it when I receive it.
Post pics of the wrap, I've heard mixed things about pearl and oyster wraps from some of the places like Walopus. Some say they look great and others say it's just a printed wrap of oysters and pearl wraps that have been scanned.

Josh G.

Reaction score
Post pics of the wrap, I've heard mixed things about pearl and oyster wraps from some of the places like Walopus. Some say they look great and others say it's just a printed wrap of oysters and pearl wraps that have been scanned.
Sure thing! I did look around before deciding on this one. Bum Wrap and Precision both have Pink Oyster, but theirs are scans. I got a free sample from Precision and it basically looks good from a distance. Ordered a sample from Bum Wrap and never received it. To my understanding, Walopus is genuine, traditional drum wrap. The pink oyster pearl on his website for sure is not a scan since it looks a bit different from the original.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I built a snare using this wrap.

25975610448_43f7507443_c.jpg

The only company I know that uses it is Pearl.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I built a snare using this wrap.

25975610448_43f7507443_c.jpg

The only company I know that uses it is Pearl.
I found the wrap on ST Drums first and then found a Pearl kit wrapped up in it. I've always really loved oyster wraps but really didn't want to fall into the "Ringo" trap and wrap my mid 60's drums up like his.

BTW, that snare strainer looks bonkers! What is it?

healthie1

Reaction score
Another option - there do exist stencil kits with this wrap - or similar. Could seek one out and scrounge the wrap from it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has recreated this wrap (at least not accurately). It would be simple enough to do, just do the exact same thing they do to make the current 60s style oyster black but substitute red/pink pigment for the black. I suppose it boils down to someone wanting to order enough quantity to justify the Italians creating a whole block of wrap (lots of sheets).

The Chinese companies could likely do it but again the minimum custom order is 150kg of wrap.

Josh G.

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has recreated this wrap (at least not accurately). It would be simple enough to do, just do the exact same thing they do to make the current 60s style oyster black but substitute red/pink pigment for the black. I suppose it boils down to someone wanting to order enough quantity to justify the Italians creating a whole block of wrap (lots of sheets).

The Chinese companies could likely do it but again the minimum custom order is 150kg of wrap.
I agree! If I produced drum wrap, I'd totally try to be the first one to supply accurate pink oyster pearl. I'll share pics of the Walopus wrap when I have it. I sent him pictures of original pink oyster pearl drums and he agreed to make it as close as possible to the pics. Really impressive that it gets made to order and that he has all kinds of options like wrap thickness and stiffness. If it comes out really good then I'll have my wrap that I am happy with and I'll totally get the word out that his product is really good.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite Pink Oyster wrap of 'em all is what Ludwig had for a short time, ten years ago or so. I believe Sakae used this same wrap. Critics said it looked like bacon-wrapped drums, but I thought it had a cool Red Agate look to it.

1659990901413.png

Last edited: