Pink Oyster

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gents & Ladies, really quickly.
I feel like I might have asked this before. But who made the Pink Oyster wrap for the Ludwig 100th anniversary snare?
It's gorgeous. I would love if they offered it as an option. Or do they?

robbiecaps

Reaction score
check this out... a whole kit in the new oyster pink (scroll down the page).

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/24268-ludwig-pink-oyster/page__hl__pink%20oyster__fromsearch__1

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
check this out... a whole kit in the new oyster pink (scroll down the page).

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/24268-ludwig-pink-oyster/page__hl__pink%20oyster__fromsearch__1
Precisely! It's a great looking wrap! Is it available on a Legacy new order?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe one of the Ludwig guys posted here that it was custom made only for the GC "Jazz festival" reissue. and would not be available elsewhere or on other Ludwig drums. It appears that wasn't completely true since they did do a set or two in it but it's not listed as an available color on the order sheets and if it were an exclusive wrap you're not going to be able to get it elswhere.

It isn't a true oyster pearl anyhow although it does convey the same look from a few feet away. It appears to be more of a pinkish pigment applied over the top of a white oyster pearl base. Almost as though the pink were airbrushed on (that's the best description). You might be able to commission the same sort of thing as a custom wrap. Precision and Drum Supply both offer this service which appears to involve applying pigments over the top of a white pearl or silver glass glitter base (ala Citrus Mod glitter) in patterns, fades, etc. A random misting of pinkish swirls over a white oyster pearl base would give very similar looking result. Of course why limit yourself to pink? Mix in some black and you could have Pink strata. :icon_smile:

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff! Thanks for the info Kevin. Here's hoping Ludwig changes their minds!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how much they would really sell of it. I know some like it but not me -- can it really have even as much appeal as the clownbarf sparkle -- I mean citrus mod glitter?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wonder how much they would really sell of it. I know some like it but not me -- can it really have even as much appeal as the clownbarf sparkle -- I mean citrus mod glitter?
There is a bit of a paradox at play here. These wraps are primarily desireable to most collectors because they are rare (they are rare because they didn't sell, and they didn't sell because most people didn't care for the look of them when they were first offered). Essentially they were sales failures and so (relatively) few of them were were made. Since they are rare people now want them...but if you re-introduce them then they are no longer rare...anyone who wants one can get one...but without the rarity then it again becomes a matter of personal taste in colors rather than about wanting to own something rare and therefore buyers may decide to pass...maybe resulting in low sales, dropping those colors from the line, making them rare and perhaps starting the cycle all over again.

Personally I really like the look of ORIGINAL oyster Pink and also Mod Orange (of which the current re-issue is a more accurate re-creation of the original). I'm somewhat less enthused about Citrus mod and Psych red (original or re-issue) but do appreciate the relative rarity of the originals. I doubt I'll be buying any drums in those re-issued wraps though.

An exception to this is Oyster Black which Ludwig sold by the boatload. Certainly among the best selling wraps during a good chunk of the 60's. A very common wrap, not really rare at all except for particular models (can you say Jazz festival) and yet almost anything in that wrap commands a premium price. Apparently even after 45 years the Ringo effect is still in effect, creating a continued demand that pulls prices upward. That new re-issue wrap and the Legacy series drums may finally temper that a bit as it is now possible to get a "new" Ringo set made that is reasonably accurate to the looks and sound of the originals.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
First of all, the wrap is made by Delmar, and in fact, I tried to scout samples for them, but all I had was some hi-res photos. Eventually, they got hold of some samples, and together with photos, were able to recreate an fairly accurate reproduction of the original. What you must remember about "block-style" pearl finishes is that their manufacture is an artisan skill, and relies heavily on materials as well. The old materials are no longer in use or have changed to varying degrees and the old artisans are gone, which is why totally exact repros are often impossible, but they do a great job and it's darn close!

Secondly, even though there are pockets of fans for esoteric finishes, they will not be widely-available unless there is a reasonably high demand. That's just the way it is. What SEEMS like high demand here is really just a blip on the drum industry radar.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
First of all, the wrap is made by Delmar, and in fact, I tried to scout samples for them, but all I had was some hi-res photos. Eventually, they got hold of some samples, and together with photos, were able to recreate an fairly accurate reproduction of the original. What you must remember about "block-style" pearl finishes is that their manufacture is an artisan skill, and relies heavily on materials as well. The old materials are no longer in use or have changed to varying degrees and the old artisans are gone, which is why totally exact repros are often impossible, but they do a great job and it's darn close!

Secondly, even though there are pockets of fans for esoteric finishes, they will not be widely-available unless there is a reasonably high demand. That's just the way it is. What SEEMS like high demand here is really just a blip on the drum industry radar.
J.R.
I do know (more or less) about how the originals were made but this new oyster pink is not like that. The pink tint does not appear to go all the way through the wrap but rather sits over the pearl surface. This is not a thin slice of a block but rather coloring added on top of a white base (which is a white "oyster" pearl apparently created in the traditional manner). You may recall that when this stuff first came out one of the Ludwig guys commented that it was created from a "SCAN" of some original oyster pink wrap. There is no need to do any scanning if an artisan is going to be combing color swirls together. We are at the advent of some cool new wrap technology and this is an example of that. Now, the re-issued Mod Orange, Psych Red, and Citrus mod (but not citrus mod glitter ) do appear to have been made in the old way and have that total randomness that gives oyster style wraps their personality.