Pinstripe success

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an old 6 lug 6x14 steel snare that i,ve never used due to its harsh, biting, annoying sound....until i popped a pin on it and it actually sounds quite decent now. Im not going to sell my other snares but at least this one now has a purpose.
Anyone else find a use for pins other than toms and bass drums?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've for years, a coated Pin I will use on a snare

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have a Pearl Export steel snare that sounds much better with a clear Pinstripe on it. The drum is rarely used but that same head has been there for 15 years. JDA would be proud.

Reactions: JDA

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Hava a king beat and it is 11 plus pounds of screaming sreel. Have a pinstripe on it right now and it has tamed the beast a little. Love the sound of rims hot on this drum, but hearing protection is not optional.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hava a king beat and it is 11 plus pounds of screaming sreel. Have a pinstripe on it right now and it has tamed the beast a little. Love the sound of rims hot on this drum, but hearing protection is not optional.
Crazy, my Kingbeat came with a clear pinstripe on it. Honestly, I'd normally not use that on a snare (like them on toms), but it actually sounds great...and yes, it's like a gunshot. Great, if you want 'that' sound. I use it for reggae, ska, funky type stuff. I should try a coated version.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was told 20+ yrs ago Remo changed the thickness of the Pins so they would be more resonant
It worked.
Not so thuddy,more lively as described

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used a coated Pinstripe on a Pearl brass free-floating piccolo for years; still had that crack but beefed up a bit. Worked well for me.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I,ve done some tweaking since reading your replys, and so i tuned this old 6 banger up, must say im very impressed. In 50 plus years i,ve NEVER used a clear pin on a snare, and only did since it was the only head available.
I dont like the look at all so im going to buy a coated pin i can use with brushes, and have some fun with this old drum. VERY 60,s motown/blues vibe.
I cant believe how narrow minded i,ve been!!

Reactions: JDA