Play along at home… headphones or PA ?

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
For an eternity I played along to music through headphones… and it does sound good… to me.

Then one day, twenty years ago, I put the music through a homemade 50watt guitar amp, with EQ set flat. And straight away Sue was happier. She could now hear the song and the drums at the same level… and groove along to it… ha ha this is assuming I wasn’t crucifying it.

Now I have a decent PA and can get really loud if I want to, but I don’t… as just right, is weirdly, just right. So a decent powered speaker, with built in mixer, will do the job.

Anyway, if I played to drums through headphones now, I’d be getting the look for sure.

But, with the music level set at the drum level, your loved ones are going to have a much better time of it.

Consider…

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've practiced with headphones and with a PA (and ear plugs). I use the PA more often, but I don't know why. I get a better sound using headphones.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I've practiced with headphones and with a PA (and ear plugs). I use the PA more often, but I don't know why. I get a better sound using headphones.
Yes, I forgot… with the PA, I use earplugs.

But the family doesn’t need to wear them…

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For an eternity I played along to music through headphones… and it does sound good… to me.

Then one day, twenty years ago, I put the music through a homemade 50watt guitar amp, with EQ set flat. And straight away Sue was happier. She could now hear the song and the drums at the same level… and groove along to it… ha ha this is assuming I wasn’t crucifying it.

Now I have a decent PA and can get really loud if I want to, but I don’t… as just right, is weirdly, just right. So a decent powered speaker, with built in mixer, will do the job.

Anyway, if I played to drums through headphones now, I’d be getting the look for sure.

But, with the music level set at the drum level, your loved ones are going to have a much better time of it.

Consider…
Isolation headphones = hearing protection.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home is for ideas* not a "stage" as such...too loud!
on a day-to-day basis, ..maybe infrequently "let loose"..
but I've never "equated" the two..
I need the actual environment to be err.. actual.

* and low-volume soloing, grooving ; ) and ideas
that you can "expand" out when you're out free, at an event

instead of "pent-up in a penthouse"..
(lol just made that one up)

Last edited:

Fess

Reaction score
If your wife is forced to listen to you banging on the drums, she might as well hear the music that goes with it.
I use an amp and ear plugs.