Play drums that you actually want to play

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks! Agreed about this site. I have two snares. One is a late 60s Ludwig Standard maple snare that I got with my current kit. The other is a 1967 Supraphonic. Both are 5.5 x 14 and came with the original (or at least older) Ludwig plastic-end wires that sound great, but are a little bent. I put some generic wires on the Standard, and it sounds really good, but wonder how it would sound with Puresounds, Canopus, etc. The Surpa I completely restored. Still has a "used" look but sounds great. Looking into exploring a brass snare and/or a 6.5x14 of any kind, but don't have my sights on anything in particular. I also just bought $900 worth of cymbals, so the extra snare might have to wait a little while, ha.
I have a few snares (none really high end/expensive though) and one of them is a wood Ludwig Standard, which is by far my favorite. I agree that there certainly are differences between drums, but at the same time I think that tuning and the way that they're played is far more important to the sound than the amount of money that spent. I do think it's worth it to spend enough to get a level of quality which is good enough to inspire you to play the thing. Really high end stuff though, at least in terms of drums, I see as a less wise investment. Cheap drums might sound cheap, but I've heard great players play both mid-line and very high end gear and I didn't really have a preference...

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play what’s in front of you .
Blah blah blah your sound is in you .
I played about the crappiest set ever at a jam and got an ovation just for me .
You will always sound like you .

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would argue that if you're really on a budget, spend the money on cymbals not better drums. Cheap drums with decent heads and tuning can sound pretty good but cheap stamped (not cast) cymbals are really limiting, I think...

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I strongly believe that a good gear and a gear that you really like inspires your drumming and helps you improve. However, if you swing then you swing on every drum, cheap or pro.

I save on a lot of things, never bought an expensive car or a house, never spent $200 on alcohol on a weekend, I always live within my means and drumming and love of drums is my only passion. However, I still don’t have the drum set that I really really want because it will cost me $5k to buy it but a $1000 drum would do the same thing for me...I can afford it but it is too much!
I still love the drums I have now!