Played at the Barrett-Jackson Car Auction

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
As the title says, we played the Barrett-Jackson car auction yesterday (Friday). We had the 11am to 1:30 slot so it was pretty warm on stage, especially with the carpeting they had, and I was in the direct sun the entire time, just barely under the awning. We were in the midway, so lots of people stopping to eat and to watch us. In previous years we were inside the rodeo arena, which never got as busy. Got to see a bunch of cool cars from Model A's to modern Mercedes, plus TV and movie vehicles.

IMG_20200117_123351486.jpg IMG_20200117_142514598.jpg IMG_20200117_143003401.jpg IMG_20200117_144046931.jpg IMG_20200117_144134006.jpg IMG_20200117_144758304.jpg IMG_20200117_145919466.jpg IMG_20200117_145934702.jpg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now that's an honor! been watching on Motor Trend tv (used to be Velocity) channel.

Last edited:

Drm1979

Reaction score
That's a cool gig. The coolest gig I ever played was a surf contest on St. Augustine beach about a bazillion years ago.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Forgot about the kit. They provided a backline DW kit in a glitter finish. Not sure of the model as I don't really know DW stuff and didn't get a chance to look at the badge. I'm sure someone here will recognize the model. Either way, it sounded good. I swapped the 10" tom in the pic for a 12" tom they had with the kit. I used my '71 Roger's snare.

Cymbals were a mix of Zildjian A and A Custom. Hi hats were Quick Beats and I ended up using my ride cymbal.

5759a4045ba945ae074ad83c6361d782345adefa-14.jpg

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the kit. They provided a backline DW kit in a glitter finish. Not sure of the model as I don't really know DW stuff and didn't get a chance to look at the badge. I'm sure someone here will recognize the model. Either way, it sounded good.
Yeah, most of the recent gigs I've played with a backline or house kit are DWs these days. I don't mind, I think they have real nice shells and usually will tune up well in most conditions. I am not a fan of the hardware, as I find it to be clunky, heavy, and unnecessarily complex sometimes.

Whatever happened to the Pearls, Tamas and Yamahas as backline kits? I got those quite often when I toured in Japan.
I can't remember the last time I sat behind a backline Ludwig or other American make. Never behind a Sonor or Premier!

One of the reasons I started playing Yamahas exclusively was because of my extensive experience of getting them as backline or rentals in recording studios, or in hourly rehearsal studio rooms.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the kit. They provided a backline DW kit in a glitter finish. Not sure of the model as I don't really know DW stuff and didn't get a chance to look at the badge. I'm sure someone here will recognize the model. Either way, it sounded good. I swapped the 10" tom in the pic for a 12" tom they had with the kit. I used my '71 Roger's snare.

Cymbals were a mix of Zildjian A and A Custom. Hi hats were Quick Beats and I ended up using my ride cymbal.

View attachment 423996
Great kit. I wish they had shown you on tv but maybe they did. I was watching off and on.

sevenskins

Reaction score
As the title says, we played the Barrett-Jackson car auction yesterday (Friday). We had the 11am to 1:30 slot so it was pretty warm on stage, especially with the carpeting they had, and I was in the direct sun the entire time, just barely under the awning. We were in the midway, so lots of people stopping to eat and to watch us. In previous years we were inside the rodeo arena, which never got as busy. Got to see a bunch of cool cars from Model A's to modern Mercedes, plus TV and movie vehicles.

View attachment 423971 View attachment 423972 View attachment 423973 View attachment 423974 View attachment 423975 View attachment 423976 View attachment 423977 View attachment 423978
Hey...What are the odds?....I live in Baltimore and I was at Barrett-Jackson on Friday and saw you guys! My wife and I sat at one of the picnic tables right in front of you and ate lunch during your set! In fact, at one point I leaned over to my wife and said, "This band is pretty good!" This sounds bizarre, but I swear this is the truth! It's an amazingly small world sometimes.....and you guys were really good!

Sincerely,
Russ

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the recent gigs I've played with a backline or house kit are DWs these days. I don't mind, I think they have real nice shells and usually will tune up well in most conditions. I am not a fan of the hardware, as I find it to be clunky, heavy, and unnecessarily complex sometimes.

Whatever happened to the Pearls, Tamas and Yamahas as backline kits? I got those quite often when I toured in Japan.
I can't remember the last time I sat behind a backline Ludwig or other American make. Never behind a Sonor or Premier!

One of the reasons I started playing Yamahas exclusively was because of my extensive experience of getting them as backline or rentals in recording studios, or in hourly rehearsal studio rooms.
Yeah, their hardware is a bit much. I'm sure it's great for the rental co. since it's durable, but I wouldn't want to schlep it around. I'm not a fan of the hi-hat/BD pedal heel plates, but then again I'm so used to the solid footboard of my Speed King. Depending on the company providing the instruments, I have gotten Yamaha Stage Customs & Oak Customs and Ludwig Classics before. I'm not too picky because at least I don't have to haul my drums/hardware in.

Hey...What are the odds?....I live in Baltimore and I was at Barrett-Jackson on Friday and saw you guys! My wife and I sat at one of the picnic tables right in front of you and ate lunch during your set! In fact, at one point I leaned over to my wife and said, "This band is pretty good!" This sounds bizarre, but I swear this is the truth! It's an amazingly small world sometimes.....and you guys were really good!

Sincerely,
Russ
That's cool! What are the odds? Glad you enjoyed it! I would have said hi if I knew.

Latest posts