Played my first live drum "gig" in many years today.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing keys in a church band for the past two or three years, which has been an invaluable musical experience. Playing another instrument, and performing live with it: Highly recommenced. This church has never had drums in its entire history, but a space renovation due to flood damage (Texas freeze), and another piano player coming in created an opportunity to have drums. Have to admit, I've become dead cold calm on piano...but I was a bit nervous on drums! It actually went really well. As it turns out, I was a bit loud. :). I ended up playing louder than we rehearsed because my ear told me it could be louder with the mix in the room. I was (mistakenly) surprised at how much I louder I could play and "get away" with...but...we all have our opinions. :) Easy adjustment for next time. No drum cage of shame.

Played my personally re-finished mixed Catalina Maple/Club bop kit with Gretsch USA maple snare, Bosphorus 21" Turk light ride, 18" Bosphorus Masters crash, and 16" Istanbul Traditional hats.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes!
Congratulations.
Next time, if allowed, let’s see some photos.
Best I could do from this time.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 12.49.58 PM.png

Doing a soft cymbal swell here. I'm happy with the look of this in this space. The smaller drums are definitely less "intrusive" looking. I finished it really dark with a satin top coat, which really sets off the chrome and looks good in such a brightly lit room. I had no idea I'd ever use this kit for a situation like this. I put it together to try my hand at re-finishing and to practice jazz on it at home, but I'm glad I had it.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome to have you back on the cans again! Great story and sweet kit!! I am using an older Catalina bop kit in the same context so I can appreciate your observations and agree wholeheartedly!