Playing a gig tonight outside my comfort zone

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
First of all I’m really looking forward to playing a lot of these 90’s tunes I’ve never played. Been woodshedding and so far the most challenging is Everlong by the Foos. Nothing technical just it’s really moving.
Wish me luck. Taking the C&C ‘s as the 40 year olds in the band will appreciate them me thinks. Two up, one down. 22/12/13/16.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's always good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while. Have fun with the 90's tunes. I play in a 90's band sometimes as well, lot's of fun tunes that I forgot about. Here's our list from last night...

Basket Case

Good

Buddy Holly

Lovesong

Shimmer

Losing My Religion *

Hold My Hand *

3AM *

Breakfast at Tiffany’s *

You Don’t Know How It Feels *

Wonderwall *

Slide *

Mary Jane

The Middle

Interstate Love Song

Smooth

Jealousy

Shine

Alive

Are You Gonna Go My Way

Backwater

Inside Out

Semi Charmed Life

All the Small Things

Selling the Drama

Californication

Two Princes

Let Her Cry *

No Such Thing *

Drive

If You Could Only See

Story of a Girl

Santa Monica

Come as you are

Lump

Low

Possum Kingdom

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best of luck! The entirety of the 90s is waaaay out of my comfort zone as well. You’re prepped and you’ll kill it.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Not trying to be facetious in any manner so please don't take this the wrong way as I am really generalizing and breaking things down to it's basic form.....keeping a good solid beat with good solid time.
In the extremely huge genre and sub genre's of popular music of any recent(ish) decade...aren't most of the toons in 4/4 and the good ol' 2 and 4 holds court? This using the Keep It Simple Stupid principle.
Of course there are many many exceptions to this rule depending upon sub genres and arrangements etc.....however why would playing straight time be out of one's comfort zone...
Of course if one is a laid back tapper then doing a brutal metal gig could get interesting, but still the underlying premise of a good beat and time still are paramount, and that is the comfort zone.
bt

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play mainly 50s- 80s . We do some 90s, 2000s, and current. My early career I played alot of heavy/speed/thrash metal. As others posted relax, get your head right, and remember to have fun. It will show in your playing...:thumbup:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For years I played out of my comfort zone as everyone else on stage had actually studied their instrument whereas I had been self taught and was just lucky to have played a lot in unrehearsed situations. Playing mostly jazz, this was a case of developing my ears and I got to really enjoy the spontaneity and interaction on stage. I can fake most rock and blues tunes but many have hits and parts that would need me to woodshed too so I understand Dan's view.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be facetious in any manner so please don't take this the wrong way as I am really generalizing and breaking things down to it's basic form.....keeping a good solid beat with good solid time.
In the extremely huge genre and sub genre's of popular music of any recent(ish) decade...aren't most of the toons in 4/4 and the good ol' 2 and 4 holds court? This using the Keep It Simple Stupid principle.
Of course there are many many exceptions to this rule depending upon sub genres and arrangements etc.....however why would playing straight time be out of one's comfort zone...
Of course if one is a laid back tapper then doing a brutal metal gig could get interesting, but still the underlying premise of a good beat and time still are paramount, and that is the comfort zone.
bt
Sechelt, nice. I used to play the Wakefield back in the day, and the Lighthouse more recently.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
For years I played out of my comfort zone as everyone else on stage had actually studied their instrument whereas I had been self taught and was just lucky to have played a lot in unrehearsed situations. Playing mostly jazz, this was a case of developing my ears and I got to really enjoy the spontaneity and interaction on stage. I can fake most rock and blues tunes but many have hits and parts that would need me to woodshed too so I understand Dan's view.
And the fact I’m a perfectionist doesn’t help. At end the day, these guys are gonna be happy. I’ll report in tomorrow.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Outside Comfort Zone:

Can't put your self in it
Can't play your own style on top of it
Can't be your self
InUncomfortable environment (band too loud boring or both)

5) Never heard a damn one of these songs

Last edited:

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It,s all Rock n Roll!!..have fun....OCD is a bummer for a drummer..

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m sure you killed it! It’s only Rock and Roll but I like it..

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, the band offered me the gig, something I don’t need. But I offered my services if the need should arise. Fun gig. Only train wreck for me was Everlong. Man, that song moves. I’ll definitely be working on that one. Everyone was grateful and happy.

2FD1588C-E8EF-49F2-8273-13DDDD69DDF5.jpeg

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the band offered me the gig, something I don’t need. But I offered my services if the need should arise. Fun gig. Only train wreck for me was Everlong. Man, that song moves. I’ll definitely be working on that one. Everyone was grateful and happy.

View attachment 415762
Yeah, man the Foos move in general. Mostly cause Grohl is a nut and is highly caffeinated all the time! Taylor got the gig because he could keep up. Haha

Drm1979

Reaction score

View attachment 415762
Glad your gig went well. A couple years back I was in a similar situation. Although 90s is in my comfort zone. Our trainwreck was limelight by rush. Everything was fine up until the part at the guitar solo where the time signature changes 3 different times over 4 measures I think. We recovered and pulled off the ending but man that middle part. I've gone back to it several times over and have no problem playing along with the recording but when playing it live it just never came together. Anyway I've moved on to an original project now. Very old school style metal mostly sabbath and danzig inspired. Just keep playing and enjoy it. Other gigs and projects are sure to come your way.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Glad your gig went well. A couple years back I was in a similar situation. Although 90s is in my comfort zone. Our trainwreck was limelight by rush. Everything was fine up until the part at the guitar solo where the time signature changes 3 different times over 4 measures I think. We recovered and pulled off the ending but man that middle part. I've gone back to it several times over and have no problem playing along with the recording but when playing it live it just never came together. Anyway I've moved on to an original project now. Very old school style metal mostly sabbath and danzig inspired. Just keep playing and enjoy it. Other gigs and projects are sure to come your way.
I’m in two bands full time which is why I declined their offer. I’ll do sub work for them which I do a lot of already. My point was, this genre was out of my wheelhouse a bit.

gbow

Reaction score
RE - Songs that move... That describes pretty much everything we play! It's hard, song after song, even if the parts aren't that hard.

I'm getting to the age where I'm not sure how long I can continue to do it. Fortunately we don't do many shows any more, just special occasions and events. Definitely have to get fired up prior to the show to bring the energy. I've done it so long though, I'm not sure how I would do in a laid back band, would be fun for the first few times but I would probably get bored.

gabo