Playing bass... again

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a "stunt bass". In other words, a good playing bass that I'll gladly take into any dive bar. It's a 1988 MIJ FEnder Precision. I've already ordered a black pickguard and chrome knobs so that it will fit in with the rest of my bass family.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never played a "mij" I didn't like! Their usually light and tight! The early mij were actually USA basses just put together over there. I had a Candy Apple Red that actually had an Ebony fret board with a very dark honey finish on a maple neck! Had to be a special order I swear the body felt like an Alder piece, extremely lightweight but had a great all around sound! White Mother of Pearl guard and the bridge and pups trays and they weren't the cheap knock offs! Sold it about 8 years ago, I got 900.00 for an mij and it was worth every penny. I bought it in 1985 used for 300.00. Sometimes you get lucky and find the perfect feel just for you that has the sound too!

Thats a nice rosewood neck piece, betcha it plays well! Looks like someone had a thumb rest near the bridge. Doc.

may

Reaction score
Bass was actually my first instrument that I've kept playing and didn't give up on (sorry guitar!). I had a Gretsch Jet Junior and it was really easy to play - probably because it was short-scale and didn't feel as cheap as the other low-end basses. I wasn't a fan of the shape or anything, but it was comfortable, and even now it calls to me. Haha. Wish I was half as good with the drums as I am with bass, but maybe if I didn't have instrument ADD I'd do better in both. :p

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another Bass player here. I have a Schecter rig that was a Christmas present. It's a 4 string Korean Diamond series. Looks like some kinda devil horn metal style axe. Never been a fan of such styles as I am too old school and definitely not metal :lol: But surprisingly it plays pretty good and sounds nice. Weird but I cannot find the exact model. I've searched their sight for active and discontinued models but nothing matches up. I'm not home now but maybe I'll post a pic when I get back into town and ya'll guys can help me out :icon_smile:

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted this pic of the MIJ Precision that I picked up last week. The pickguard was warped, it was fitted with black knobs and there were holes where a thumb rest once lived. I figured that if I were going to replace it I'd might as well put a black guard on it so that won't feel out of place when it's hanging with the rest of my Fender bass family. While I was at it I ordered a thumb rest and chrome knobs. I keep this upstairs in our guest room. I grab this to fiddle around with when I'm upstairs in our office.

Before:

After:

Recently the volume knob snapped off in my hand. I dropped it off to have the volume pot replaced. I'm having them do a professional setup on it and install a set of Fender flats while they have it.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I figured that I'd throw up a bass gear update.

From left to right:

1972 Fender Telecaster bass, 2011 Fender American 60th Anniversary Precision bass, 1995 Music Man Stingray bass and 2011 Fender American Standard Jazz bass.

I think that I'm done.

:rolleyes:

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Music Man came with a matte finish pick guard. I just got around to installing a 3 ply gloss black OEM guard. Now it matches my Fenders.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been screwing around with different strings. Recently I switched both of my P basses to Fender medium light flats. I'm about to put a set of chromes on my Jazz.

In any case I've become a flats believer. I know that the sound isn't for everything, but a lot of the music that I grew up with and love was recorded with flats, it's the sound that I hear in my head.

I'm still going to experiment with different flats on my different basses, but I don't think I'll be putting roundwounds on any of them at this point.

Are there any other flatwound believers on here?

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice Musicman. My dream bass is a pre-Ernie Ball Stingray with strings through body. I had one for 5 seconds and regret selling although I made good money selling it. That being said I like your MIJ precision the best. That is good quality stuff. For now I have a MIJ off-brand Jazz bass copy from the 70s and it does the trick as I'm mostly a synth and drums player. Nice topic though. I like the development over the years.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Advances in my playing seem to come in waves. For some reason my playing has really improved over the past couple of weeks.

The people that I play with have noticed the same thing. I am very confident as a drummer and percussionist, I'm getting a lot more confident as a bassist. It feels good.

I've been playing my Precisions and my Stingray the most these days. The others haven't been getting as much love.

LOCOPELAND

Reaction score
Wow, man! You've got some very nice basses! Are you still playing through the same amp/speakers? I got the bass itch last August after it on the back burner for a couple years while I developed my drum chops. Now I'm playing bass in a band am running massive amps/cab with tons of fuzz. It's awesome!

My rig:

Basses
60's MIJ Rickenbacker copy
2011 Squier Classic Vibe P
1998 Peavey Fury II (my first bass <3)

Amps/Cabs
Peavey Classic 400, 400w tube amp (quite the beast)
'74 Sunn Concert Bass
80's Acoustic 118BHS folded horn cabinet
Ampeg SVT 810
(Full on stereo rig ;) )

Pedals
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Mole
GGG Muff clone
'86 Proco RAT w/custom graphics
Heavy Electronics El Oso
Small Sound/Big Sound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine
MXR Carbon Copy
Dunlop VP Jr.
Radial Bigshot AB/Y to connect it all

Just swooped up a Dunlop 105Q Bass wah, too. Looking forward to that. What I really need is a chorus and then I'll be set for a bit...until the GAS hits again. :facepalm:

I'll update you with pics if you're interested! :D

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, that rig has to be able to crumble foundations! Yes, I'd LOVE to see some pics.

I'm still using the Fender Bassman 400 over the Baqssman 115 for now. I really want to get some type of Ampeg tube rig eventually.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Here's the bass I recently aquired as a replacement to the Hofner that was stolen during our home burglary. It's Dean that's probably about 4 years old. Not sure on the exact date, just going by the production run and the condition.

I run it through a US-made Ampeg BA-115. Plenty loud for the clubs I play in and I love the warm tone. I just ordered a Bass Big Muff fuzz pedal to use on a few songs, like covers of the Sonics and the Cramps. Can't wait to try it out.

The bass player in my main band bought some new grill cloth to replace the screen on his amp, but ordered the wrong stuff, so he gave it to me. Now the amp has a more retro look to it. I've since cleaned the amp up so it's not as dusty.

Attachments

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a cool looking bass. One of these days I'll pick up some kind of hollow body or semi-hollowbody. The silver cloth really changes the vibe of that ampeg too.

LOCOPELAND

Reaction score

Here's my board. Chain goes, Pitchblack>Mole>Muff Clone>El Oso>RAT>Blackbox Ultraviolet>Carbon Copy>Dunlop 105q>VP Jr>AB/Y. Waiting on an MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe to throw in after the Carbon Copy. I've got a looper, as well...gonna try to squeeze it in the open spot between the El Oso and 105q

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOCOPELAND said:

Here's my board. Chain goes, Pitchblack>Mole>Muff Clone>El Oso>RAT>Blackbox Ultraviolet>Carbon Copy>Dunlop 105q>VP Jr>AB/Y. Waiting on an MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe to throw in after the Carbon Copy. I've got a looper, as well...gonna try to squeeze it in the open spot between the El Oso and 105q
WOW!

I'm embarrassed to say that I run straight into my amp.

LOCOPELAND

Reaction score
Haha - that's nothing to be embarassed about! I've actually switched some stuff around and added a few things to the board. I think I'm done for now, but there's always something that comes along that I gotta get my hands on lol. I have a problem! :laughing6: :tongue3:

Latest posts