Playing with live people

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I would really like to get out and play again, open mics haven't really started back up in my area, but I've see a few people looking for band mates on Bandmix. Other than that and Facebook (IS EVIL!!!!!) where can I find musicians?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craigslist, if you can sift through the junk. Also, as far as Facebook is concerned you should have a local musicians page that you can join. I'm on a couple here in Buffalo and people post for bandmembers, promote gigs, and sell gear locally. My experience with those has been positive (at least out this way). Worth looking into i believe.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ask your musician friends if they know of someone trying to put a band together.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought a bar should put on a type of open stage/job fair type event where people can go and register and network...exchange numbers, organize practices or auditions, etc...most open mic are basically people performing and drinking with no real emphasis on making connections, although it does obviously happen occasionally...but, some kind of process that can match musicians...kind of like speed dating. lol...

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got super lucky off of a single Craigslist ad. I had more replies than I knew what to do with, and was able to focus my time (talking to, meeting, etc) on the things I felt would be a good fit. It's worth a shot. You at least need to get out there and start mixing with people. One thing leads to another. Always.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't have any of those. :(

If you don't want to cross the river, you can switch the "all portland" tab at the top to "clark/cowlitz."

To make your own listing, click the "post" link in the upper right-hand corner, and choose your location in the next screen, then "community," then "musicians."

drums1225

Reaction score
I had great luck forming an instrumental jazz-funk band from an ad on Craigslist back in 2012. I live near NYC, so the pool was deep, but that project was the most musically fulfilling thing I've ever done.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poke around meetup.com in your area. Chances are there are a few jam type groups. It takes some weeding through.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of looking for other peoples wanted posts, post your own. My area always has pretty slim pickings for drummers wanted, but when I’ve posted my own “Drummer seeks band” type listing I’ve gotten more replies than I knew what to do with. Everything from “we are all under 23 and vegan and you must be too” to “can you sight-read? We have 9 gigs booked this week and need a drummer for our 7 piece prog-rock cover band”. Somewhere in there you’re bound to find a good fit. Just be honest about your skill set and your expectations- do you just wanna jam? Maybe work on a set list with an eye to booking gigs? Join an established band already booked? Genres you’re strong in, genres you’re not interested in. Experience, skills, etc.
Youll make a connection with someone, and go from there. Ask for a list of tunes (or sound files if original music) and get familiar so you’re not starting cold. The rest is rock n roll history!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Craigs List as well but networking has worked well.