Playing with live people

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Roch - supper suggestion - Make it so!

larold - surely you jest (and stop calling me Shirley) there are no listing for Vantuckey on CL I have to look in PDX.

Drumbumcrumb - I'm hesitant to place my own ad, I've come across some real strange folks off of bandmix - CL is a whole 'nother brand of crazy. But I may be forced to do it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its such a nebulous thing, I don't know of a perfect system, but keep trying, there is nothing like making music with other people.

Just keep showing up, you never know. Go to lots of local live music gigs, support other musicians and get to know the scene. Its not just for now, think longer term. That bassist in a band you go see this weekend might be gigless a year from now and will remember you showing up (and buying them a beer during set-break, complimenting them after the show, etc)

I've supported this line of thought for years (decades) but honestly started doubting it myself lately. I had two projects going pre-pandemic that fell apart. Some long term bandmates/friends ended up regrouping in different configurations that ultimately left me hanging. Tough for the ego. I approached it as an opportunity to just work on my own stuff, learn more keyboards, recording, etc. Right at the point I convinced myself that this was going to be my deal for the next year or so, I randomly bought an amp stand off of craigslist. In the process of yabbing it up with the new-to-town guitarist I bought it from it came up that I played drums. He asked me if I was interested in playing with him, he was having a hard time finding local drummers. I told him "No, but send me your music anyways..." Well he did, and I really liked it (all original music for a change) so next thing I know I'm at an audition and everything seems to be working out great. I actively tried to avoid making this happen but the match was just too good to ignore. So now I'm back in a band and excited about it.

Point is - you never know. Just keep networking and listening/talking to/sharing with anyone around you who plays music, even if their skill/interest is well above or below where you're at.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not preaching here because I buy plenty online, and am a fan of Sweetwater, and I know the pandemic has changed things for the last 20 months. But you're about 10 miles from one of the better independent drum shops in the country (Revival in Portland). I may be reading too much into this, but my advice would be to change some of your habits. Get out to local shops, not only could they use the support, but the "hang" is so much a part of all of this. I've neglected it myself in recent years and the change is very noticeable in my own opportunities.

I don't know I buy all my equipment from Sweetwater online.

Nubs

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for meetup. I was able to find a couple of jam sessions from it.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
owr - I play exclusively e-drums so not too much to buy at Revival. Occasionally, if I'm across the river (For those not in the know: I live in Vancouver, WA which is right across the Columbia river from Portland, Or) I will stop in and look at all the pretty colors and shinny stuff. :) I also don't like the vibe in Revival, everyone that works there is male identified and when they see me walk through the door they go back to what their doing. I don't expect them to come running over and fawn all over me, but a "hey/hello" wouldn't be too much to ask. Why would I want to part with hard earned $ in a place that couldn't give a sh*t that I was there? I guess old prejudices die hard.
I do hear what you're saying, and I know I need to get out into the local music scene, which I plan to do once things open up here more and there is one. :)

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I would really like to get out and play again, open mics haven't really started back up in my area, but I've see a few people looking for band mates on Bandmix. Other than that and Facebook (IS EVIL!!!!!) where can I find musicians?
Usually there are musician groups for local towns on Facebook. There's several here in Austin.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No judgment here, and sucks that you're not getting a friendly vibe there, probably good feedback for them. I'm just annoyingly trying to encourage you to put some boots to the ground and play the long game, at the amateur/local weekend warrior level that I've settled at for the last couple decades, it really is a social game.

Ok, I'll zip it up from here. Good luck on the search and don't give up, just keep working it.

owr - I play exclusively e-drums so not too much to buy at Revival. Occasionally, if I'm across the river (For those not in the know: I live in Vancouver, WA which is right across the Columbia river from Portland, Or) I will stop in and look at all the pretty colors and shinny stuff. :) I also don't like the vibe in Revival, everyone that works there is male identified and when they see me walk through the door they go back to what their doing. I don't expect them to come running over and fawn all over me, but a "hey/hello" wouldn't be too much to ask. Why would I want to part with hard earned $ in a place that couldn't give a sh*t that I was there? I guess old prejudices die hard.
I do hear what you're saying, and I know I need to get out into the local music scene, which I plan to do once things open up here more and there is one. :)

RockrGrl

Reaction score
owr I hear you and I will get out of the house and check out some of the local music stores, see what I can find. Really, thank you for your encouragement!

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Update and a question,
I did contacted by a guy on bandmix and I'm learning a set list to get together maybe this weekend and jam - Yah!

I have always felt that if I were to put an add on CL, shouldn't I have a place for a jam to take place, which I don't.

Thanks!

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's good that you found someone on Bandmix to jam with.

Take a friend with you if you are afraid to meet a stranger. Or meet at some public place. Experienced musicians likely know of meeting places. Bars have potential - you can meet at a bar, step outside to jam, but it's possible that they might hire the band to play a gig sometime.

Bring drum sticks. Even if there are no drums there, you can find something to tap on.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
No you missed my question: When you place an ad, as I was instructed to do to find musicians, I always feel that the ad placer should have a place to rehearse, and since I do not, I am reluctant to place an ad. Is this how other people view things.
Of course I will keep my self safe by taking someone with me, if I feel uncomfortable.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you missed my question: When you place an ad, as I was instructed to do to find musicians, I always feel that the ad placer should have a place to rehearse, and since I do not, I am reluctant to place an ad. Is this how other people view things.
Of course I will keep my self safe by taking someone with me, if I feel uncomfortable.

I don't think there's any expectation that the ad placer has a place to rehearse. Lots of people live in apartments where that's not possible. You could include that fact in your ad if you're concerned about disclosing it later.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
See if your area has practice studios. My local drum shop has a few rooms, with PA and drums, that can be rented by the hour. One of my bands rehearses there. And there's another rehearsal studio on another side of town.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
You said you play an ekit exclusively and most public jam sessions will have an acoustic kit; just to keep in mind

Core Creek

Reaction score
I’ve had tons of luck with Craigslist over the years. I recently hooked up as a sub on 4 gigs for an entertainment company from one of their listings.

90% of what’s on Craigslist is crap, and you need to know how to weed out what you’re not looking for, but it’s been a great resource for me. Then again, where I live, there is a big music community and way too many cover bands, so your results may vary.