Playing with live people

Derrick

Reaction score
Try reading through the Craigslist Ads to see how others are posting ads. No, there is no assumtion that a poster has the responsibility to provide things like a space. In fact, it was mentioned above that many musicians don't have a space and live in apartments in cities, etc. I see it mentioned often in CL ads that they don' thave a space so if others do, that's a bonus or they can rent a space to see how it goes. Hell, see if you or they have a friend that wil host you all meeting up and playing as a one time thing to see if there is any interest, then seek a permanent solution if there is. The nest thing you can do is list your e-kit, what you're into, what you're looking for, and that thing about the space. Don't be too apologetic or focus too much on things you are self concious about or it turns people off. Find a balance of that and letting people know any significant efficiencies in your level/abilities, but you don't need to say it all in the ad. Let the meeting happen and others to judge for themselves, or you just cut a lot of possibilities. I did that when I 1st started out, perhaps because I was too woried about wasting peoples time or that I wouldn't live up to some ideals I came up with in my head. Figuring that out and getting around that quick in life was a blessing.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just networking, and you just have to start somewhere. Be friendly, don't flake on people, meet up, jam, network some more. You can stay as busy as you want as long as 1) You don't care about how much money you make, and 2) You don't suck. You don't have to be great. If you're great, others already know and you don't have this problem. Just don't suck. It's a pretty low bar.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would really like to get out and play again, open mics haven't really started back up in my area, but I've see a few people looking for band mates on Bandmix. Other than that and Facebook (IS EVIL!!!!!) where can I find musicians?
try local music stores- most have a bulletin board..

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted on CList a few years back for finding "just okay" (non-pro) jazz players. A local guy answered. He was a piano/keys player. I went to his house and set up. He had something called "Band in a Box" and next thing you know, we had sax and guitar! It was crazy but we had some beers and some fun for a few hours. Never went back but should have I suppose.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my.....band in a box....those were the daze!!!!!! We have an old old pc that is used for cd/dvd burning and I'm sure has b in a b on there....
I do remember setting up click tracks with it.....wow I still have a memory.....
bt