header.nohb.html

Playing with more advanced players.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At very short notice I got a call today at lunchtime if I was available to play a gig later at night.
"Yes, no problem, can I have a set please"
A partial set arrives and I quickly realize this is gonna be hard as I don't really know or have never played most of these tunes before. Anyways I get to work for a few hours.
Come gig time and from the first moment a chord was struck, I realized the guitarist was on a different/more advanced level than me. What a phenomenal player with great feel and groove.
Managed to hang in there and get the job done pretty well, and a little proud of myself that I could do it. Said a prayer and blessed myself when "Here comes the sun" kicked off but I nailed that very tricky (for me) middle section.

Playing with more advanced players always freaks me out a little but I LOVE it at the same time as it expands & educates my ears and musicality.

How do you feel about playing with better players ?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are exceptions, a few years ago I was jamming with a guitarist his son and a friend of his son .
We had a lot of fun . Even managed to
play a local festival …
I have great memories of those times .

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always want to play with people who are skilled improvisers, who bring varied musical influences and take the music we play in unexpected directions. The ideal situation is when everyone in the group is musically adventurous and also has big ears and can lock into what the others are doing. Those situations can often be sheer magic! Bands that stick close to home just don't hold my interest, even if they're solid players.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
At very short notice I got a call today at lunchtime if I was available to play a gig later at night.
"Yes, no problem, can I have a set please"
A partial set arrives and I quickly realize this is gonna be hard as I don't really know or have never played most of these tunes before. Anyways I get to work for a few hours.
Come gig time and from the first moment a chord was struck, I realized the guitarist was on a different/more advanced level than me. What a phenomenal player with great feel and groove.
Managed to hang in there and get the job done pretty well, and a little proud of myself that I could do it. Said a prayer and blessed myself when "Here comes the sun" kicked off but I nailed that very tricky (for me) middle section.

Playing with more advanced players always freaks me out a little but I LOVE it at the same time as it expands & educates my ears and musicality.

In my experience playing with better players raises your level.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Way better than being the best player. Nothing ruins my ego or fun more as a drummer when I’m the best in the band!

Sound ass backwards but I get a ego boost when I’m the least talented.

It’s no fun when you play your parts great and the guitarist or singer is drunk and out of tune hahaha

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score

I am the worst player at my weekly jazz jam, by a long shot. All of the other regular drummers are working professionals. I got serious about jazz in October.

Playing with much better players has been a huge motivator to me to improve, but it can also be discouraging, because music is not my career and I’m never going to play like these guys. A month ago I attended a different jam session where I heard some young drummers with just a few years of experience, and while there was much less to learn from them, it was a more realistic model of what I can aspire to in a couple of years.

The musicians at my regular jam are incredibly supportive and forgiving of my musical crimes, and they push me further than I would push myself. I don’t know if most musicians are like that, or if I just got lucky.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree ....or a drummer by his ability to play wailing guitar etc. When you are on stage you are the best drummer on stage and its only varying degrees of experience with the relevant genre of all players that's on show. Nuances come from playing with good players definitely but are they "better" ? I find that subjective although I understand your point ....

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently playing with the most talented guitarist that I've ever played with. He astounds me every time that I play with him. The bassist is very good, he and I work hard to keep up with the guitarist.

Playing with someone of his caliber makes me better, no question about it. Every time that I think I've seen the peak of what he is capable of, he takes his playing further and my jaw drops. The bassist and I are climbing the mountain with him, we are just a further down. (We hang on to his rope.)

I've taken my own playing places that I didn't expect to go a year and a half ago. I have these guys to thank.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ever pass up an opportunity to perform with musicians more advanced/experienced than yourself . It's how I learned to ask the right questions .

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that? If you are the best player, help players not as good as you become better.

It's just an aspirational thing. Someone is always going to be the better player, and the less skilled players should become better by playing with them. If you have it inside you to be a mentor, by all means go for it!