Playing with unvaccinated musicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't do it. I've lost two friends from it.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My mom is 74 and also has heart problems. And I live with her. I totally understand your concern and I probably would not want unvaccinated musicians and having band practice at my house either. She definitely wouldn’t want it.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul, also having this issue, but amongst family members. I have daughters who are both Immuno-Compromised, and family members who aren't vaxxed. Holidays will not be fun this year.

Hope it works out for you.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1637354146719.png

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are many factors that can contribute to a decision to play or not play with people: the music, their attitude, their lifestyle, their goals, their use of intoxicants or drugs, or in this case whether or not they were vaccinated.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making the personal choice of who you play with and why.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I say if you are not comfortable with jamming with these guys due to their vaccination status then don't jam. Stick to what is best for you.

However, I would not get upset with them over their beliefs and/or choice of vaccination status. It is OK for people to have different opinions and still be friends .

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do think that the government and health officials are not completely honest but I also think they are honest for the most part. And I believe my brother who is an ER doctor and has been working his butt off taking care of Covid patients.

exactly

take the government and the politics out of the entire subject and listen to your health professionals

these people are dedicated health Professionals

God bless your brother and all the health care workers

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can practice outside. Any outdoor spot you guys know of?

RockrGrl

Reaction score
For the record, I'm 74 and have heart disease, so am in a vulnerable demographic. I've also had all three Pfizer shots, so feel fairly well protected. I'm playing or jamming with multiple groups lately, mostly jazz, and one thing that's consistent is that everyone is vaccinated. That's ascertained up front, and not a worry. I even played a concert Sunday while wearing a mask.

Recently a friend invited me to join the rock band he's forming, and we wound up rehearsing at my house. So far, so good. But the subject turned to vaccines and Covid last week, and I discovered that not everyone in the six piece group is vaccinated, and attitudes toward the disease and the shots seem pretty casual. This has been on my mind ever since. I reached out to my friend with my concerns earlier today, but haven't talked to him yet.

I think this band has some possibilities, and would like to see where it goes, but am not comfortable sharing my living room with multiple unvaxxed people. We're going to have to have a band talk, and I am not looking forward to that.

Have you had to deal with this situation? How did you handle it? Thoughts?
I have a couple of questions:
1. When they played in your living room were the unvax'd wearing masks?
2. Was anyone/everyone wearing a mask?

Since you have underlying medical condition(s) even though your vax'd, I'm with you I wouldn't allow the unvax'd in my house masked or unmasked.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Even with band members 100% vaxxed and masked, your audiences likely won't be. As for unvaxxed prospective bandmates, how bad do you want to get involved with people who don't care about your safety?

Not me brudda...
This is not about not caring for the safety of others, at least not for everyone. This issue is way more complex than that, and I’m tired of this narrative that belittles anyone with a contrarian opinion about health and safety. It is not about being selfish, at least not for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me I can't give you what I don't have.
I'm more concerned with the vaccinated
their natural immunity's shot ( no pun.
altered; disturbed. tampered; maybe.
wish I had 1000 shares of Pfizer stock at 3$ tho...

Last edited:

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the record, I'm 74 and have heart disease, so am in a vulnerable demographic.

Pass. Who needs it? The guys don't think COVID is serious, don't think protecting others from it is serious, why would you put yourself in close proximity to them? If you're going to get sick, it's going to be from people like that. Pass.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
For the record, I'm 74 and have heart disease, so am in a vulnerable demographic. I've also had all three Pfizer shots, so feel fairly well protected. I'm playing or jamming with multiple groups lately, mostly jazz, and one thing that's consistent is that everyone is vaccinated. That's ascertained up front, and not a worry. I even played a concert Sunday while wearing a mask.

Recently a friend invited me to join the rock band he's forming, and we wound up rehearsing at my house. So far, so good. But the subject turned to vaccines and Covid last week, and I discovered that not everyone in the six piece group is vaccinated, and attitudes toward the disease and the shots seem pretty casual. This has been on my mind ever since. I reached out to my friend with my concerns earlier today, but haven't talked to him yet.

I think this band has some possibilities, and would like to see where it goes, but am not comfortable sharing my living room with multiple unvaxxed people. We're going to have to have a band talk, and I am not looking forward to that.

Have you had to deal with this situation? How did you handle it? Thoughts?
When dealing with a highly contagious, potentially lethal disease (even for otherwise healthy individuals), it is perfectly reasonable to take a hard line stance - either the entire band volunteers to get vaccinated, or they need to find another drummer.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Believe me I can't give you what I don't have.
I'm more concerned with the vaccinated
their natural immunity's shot ( no pun.
altered; disturbed. tampered; maybe.
wish I had 1000 shares of Pfizer stock at 3$ tho...
You can have the virus in your sinuses, and transmit it to others, without having any symptoms or ever getting sick yourself.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blow my nose six times a day anonymous;
I exhale usually not thru a mask.
I think it's a brilliant (old) plan to herd humanity
yea not going to participate
no one lives forever except maybe Gates and Bezos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.