Please help me position my roto toms!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been frustrated with this for a while. I need to find a new position for my roto's. I really like my roto's and use them all the time but on rolls I slip sometimes when I enter my regular toms. If you notice the picture, from the 10" roto into the 8" tom, it's a pretty steep turn so their is no smooth flow. I've tried opening the angle (pushing back diagonally) on the roto's a bit and tilting up my toms a bit but it still feels the same and I still hit the same snag. Is their a way to symmetrically have the rotos and toms work together in terms of positioning? (Maybe tilt, raise, lower, turn, completely move them elsewhere etc..) Some ideas would be great!
267.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh....uh....OK, I GOT IT! I think I see the problem here... there appears to be a great big wall pushed up against the back of your drum set!

Well there ya' go... glad I could hep!

Seriously though, cool rig! It looks like you running a set of 3 Rotos with a 6, 8 and 10 (I cant see the 6" but it looks like maybe back there). And I see what your saying, about a pretty angular transition from the 10" Roto to the 8" acoustic. Just speaking for myself, I would mount the 10" RT on a cymbal stand by itself leaving the 6" and 8" on the mounting track (though I might slide them over to the right) and let the 10" be fee to drop and angle more to complete the transition down. I still see the single stands from sale from time to time.

Again, cool set up, let us know how you resolve it.

W

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Positioning has been the question since RotoToms were introduced, and the way you have them set is usually the only compromise.

Remo seems to have made no effort in providing an array of positioning options when they were designed, and they've made no effort since. There needs to be some kind of adaptors that will allow one to attach individual rotos to regular tom mount arms (or tubes), so they could be snuggled into the kit the way we do with toms.

GeeDeeEmm

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh....uh....OK, I GOT IT! I think I see the problem here... there appears to be a great big wall pushed up against the back of your drum set!

Well there ya' go... glad I could hep!

Seriously though, cool rig! It looks like you running a set of 3 Rotos with a 6, 8 and 10 (I cant see the 6" but it looks like maybe back there). And I see what your saying, about a pretty angular transition from the 10" Roto to the 8" acoustic. Just speaking for myself, I would mount the 10" RT on a cymbal stand by itself leaving the 6" and 8" on the mounting track (though I might slide them over to the right) and let the 10" be fee to drop and angle more to complete the transition down. I still see the single stands from sale from time to time.

Again, cool set up, let us know how you resolve it.

W
I don't think the wall is an issue even though I know you were joking. I don't want to put a separate stand. More room to take up! I'm looking at sliding something whether it would be the rotos or the other drums. Some sort of repositioning that would give a better flow.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Positioning has been the question since RotoToms were introduced, and the way you have them set is usually the only compromise.

Remo seems to have made no effort in providing an array of positioning options when they were designed, and they've made no effort since. There needs to be some kind of adaptors that will allow one to attach individual rotos to regular tom mount arms (or tubes), so they could be snuggled into the kit the way we do with toms.

GeeDeeEmm
Yeah I noticed that. It's been that way forever. I had them years ago on another kit but for some reason they worked for me then. I must have had them setup differently. Maybe angled differently. This time around I can't figure it out. I've even considered putting them above my 8 & 10 tom but that will use up more room. I have to keep analyzing to see what might work. I might sit an draw on a paper different configurations I can come up with to visualize and then try out what seems most functional.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i would position them in another room ....
Geez! That's great advice. I was waiting for someone to say that. You are today's winner!!
I have a list of anti roto tom answers that I'm expecting to read about!

Reactions: bob

polycrescendo

Reaction score
Step 1. trash the Roto toms
Step 2. replace with Octabons

Partly kidding. But have you considered scattering them around your kit? One between your floor toms, maybe one or two off to the left like you have them. Or the 6" kind of under your hi-hat next to the snare. If you can get the right attachments all of those would be fun to try.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Step 1. trash the Roto toms
Step 2. replace with Octabons

Partly kidding. But have you considered scattering them around your kit? One between your floor toms, maybe one or two off to the left like you have them. Or the 6" kind of under your hi-hat next to the snare. If you can get the right attachments all of those would be fun to try.
I was waiting for trash the roto toms comment as well, now my day is complete. Thank you!
Anyways, Octabons are definitely not an option even though I'd love to have some and moving them off the track I don't believe is an option either. It would have me looking for attachments. I'm trying to do with what I have in somehow repositioning.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Should go back to basics.
Then add once you've explored all possibilities of whats in front of you before adding anything.
Basically out-of-control- unless you make incredible drum set music with all that.

Everything you have there can be played on one snare drum, one bass drum, one hi hat and one crash Ride cymbal.
It's the "notes"..it's not changing the note for just the sake of playing it "somewhere else".
Unless your vocabulary has 3600 letters in it. You could do the same with 12 or 24 "letters".

A Bass drum, three rototoms across the front, a floor tom, a snare drum, a hi hat and two cymbals, You can have have 1700 sounds within just that.

Your imagination appears to be more external. Need it internal. (unless you never plan on moving that rig from that spot)
Have a heck of an imagination so you have that going for ya. ; ) ha)
Mind and imagination, is running outward instead of inward.
It's inefficient. Highly. You see the problem(s) you're detailing/ running into..
It's only going to get worse if you continue (ha!
Need good (drummer drumset) role models or a revamp of who's yours are.

oh, and ..the whole Economy of Motion thing..too

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Should go back to basics.
Then add once you've explored all possibilities of whats in front of you before adding anything.
Basically out-of-control- unless you make incredible drum set music with all that.

Everything you have there can be played on one snare drum, one bass drum, one hi hat and one crash Ride cymbal.
It's the "notes"..it's not changing the note for just the sake of playing it "somewhere else".
Unless your vocabulary has 3600 letters in it. You could do the same with 12 or 24 "letters".

A Bass drum, three rototoms across the front, a floor tom, a snare drum, a hi hat and two cymbals, You can have have 1700 sounds within just that.

Your imagination appears to be more external. Need it internal. (unless you never plan on moving that rig from that spot)
It's inefficient. Highly. You see the problem(s) you're detailing/ running into..

oh, and ..the whole Economy of Motion thing..too
For me my big kit is what might be considered basic for others that play small kits. I've been on a big kit for many years so it's definitely not an issue where I should break things down and build up from there. I got past that point like 30 years ago. Matter of fact, you put me on a small kit and I probably wouldn't even know where to start. When somebody is used to something, that becomes their norm! I'm not a gigging drummer so I enjoy the aesthetics of owning a big kit as well. And yes I use every piece and play it all very well so it's not that issue either. About the space, I purposely like it all compact but the room is just for my music so I can move and open up more my kit. I'm happy for you that you enjoy a 3 piece but guess what, I wouldn't. I would hate it! Oh, and never would I suggest to the 3 piece guy that he needs to expand to a giant kit. Each person enjoys things their own way. All I want is ideas on how to reposition my roto's, that's all!
Also a quick note, about this that you wrote:

"Your imagination appears to be more external. Need it internal. (unless you never plan on moving that rig from that spot)
oh, and ..the whole Economy of Motion thing..too"

I read it as an incoherent response and have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I'm not criticizing it, I just don"t get it! Apparently my brain is wired differently. Either way thank's for putting your 2 cents in my very minimal problem. Have a great day!:)
LRod

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's hard to tell looking at pictures; if the reach is not too far just behind and above the two small toms on the left side would be a good place. Then rearrange the cymbals.

Just a thought,
sherm

mebeatee

Reaction score
....and moving them off the track I don't believe is an option either. It would have me looking for attachments. I'm trying to do with what I have in somehow repositioning.
You're simply going have to consider that option as the Roto racks suck and positioning in a drum set is worse....obvious in your case with the kit you've shown us.
Search around as there are threads re mounting of roto toms on this forum with a number of innovative ways of mounting them.
I have used a Collarlock system adapted for roto's using any combo of 8/10/12/14/16 black roto's as toms w/ BD/snare etc....and separate 14/18 chrome roto's a la mini tymp combo.
The pic from early 80's w/Milestone bd and snare btw....still have the roto's and mount's/bar(s) not the 'Stone's though....sigh...
bt

Attachments

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
might I suggest RIMS for each roto tom and install using regular "L" shaped arms to adjust them where you need them? Also...please Google "mounting roto toms into your kit", then click on "images"... I just did and you will find dozens of unique ways others have incorporated the three into their kits. Really clever ideas out there. Best of luck!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're simply going have to consider that option as the Roto racks suck and positioning in a drum set is worse....obvious in your case with the kit you've shown us.
Search around as there are threads re mounting of roto toms on this forum with a number of innovative ways of mounting them.
I have used a Collarlock system adapted for roto's using any combo of 8/10/12/14/16 black roto's as toms w/ BD/snare etc....and separate 14/18 chrome roto's a la mini tymp combo.
The pic from early 80's w/Milestone bd and snare btw....still have the roto's and mount's/bar(s) not the 'Stone's though....sigh...
bt
Yeah I see that's gonna have to be part of what I do. I'm gonna look around.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
might I suggest RIMS for each roto tom and install using regular "L" shaped arms to adjust them where you need them? Also...please Google "mounting roto toms into your kit", then click on "images"... I just did and you will find dozens of unique ways others have incorporated the three into their kits. Really clever ideas out there. Best of luck!
That's an idea. I'm gonna search.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me my big kit is what might be considered basic for others that play small kits. I've been on a big kit for many years so it's definitely not an issue where I should break things down and build up from there. I got past that point like 30 years ago. Matter of fact, you put me on a small kit and I probably wouldn't even know where to start. When somebody is used to something, that becomes their norm! I'm not a gigging drummer so I enjoy the aesthetics of owning a big kit as well. And yes I use every piece and play it all very well so it's not that issue either. About the space, I purposely like it all compact but the room is just for my music so I can move and open up more my kit. I'm happy for you that you enjoy a 3 piece but guess what, I wouldn't. I would hate it! Oh, and never would I suggest to the 3 piece guy that he needs to expand to a giant kit. Each person enjoys things their own way. All I want is ideas on how to reposition my roto's, that's all!
Also a quick note, about this that you wrote:

"Your imagination appears to be more external. Need it internal. (unless you never plan on moving that rig from that spot)
oh, and ..the whole Economy of Motion thing..too"

I read it as an incoherent response and have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I'm not criticizing it, I just don"t get it! Apparently my brain is wired differently. Either way thank's for putting your 2 cents in my very minimal problem. Have a great day!:)
LRod
Yeah, and why do piano players need all 88 keys anyway??

What It Is

Reaction score
Depending on how you use them and how frequently, maybe over the floor toms? Louie Bellson used to have his spread out, but had a few angled over his floors. If you're using them as descending thirds or fifths, then over the hi-hats to the toms makes sense. Louie also had larger rotos over the floors, so that might not work for your applications.

Latest posts