Please help me position my roto toms!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
just a thought...what if you raised the smallest melodic toms so there is a gentler transition from the rotos to them?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
just a thought...what if you raised the smallest melodic toms so there is a gentler transition from the rotos to them?
Yep, I'm gonna try that too. That might help, even though the biggest issue I see is that right angle turn from the 10 roto to the 8 tom. I'm busy as heck this week but when I get a chance, I'm gonna break things down and try that out and other movements.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was a young drummer back in 77 or 78, roto toms were the affordable solution to getting those cool Neil Peart rolls. Even from the beginning of the 6/8/10 craze I thought the set up on the track was hokey. I bought ad100 adapters and put each on their own stand.

View attachment 393559
I'd love to get rid of that crappy Remo track. It's the main problem with the whole thing. It doesn't allow for any adjustments except sliding them over. I just don't want to get into buying other stands. I have to try and do with what I have. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I think like someone else said, I've boxed myself in as well. So I have to open up more space. I need to separate the kit more from the 2 walls.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's sounds

That sounds like an idea. Wish I could see some pictures of that.
http://www.drumarchive.com/Remo/Remo_Roto_Toms.pdf
they offered a bunch of track adapters.. I found a 90 degree adapter and a short piece of track, as well as the AD20 angle adjusters in a local drum shop recently when I was putting some rotos together for my Pink Floyd tribute. The link I shared a few posts up is of a guy on facebook that sells drums often.. He has a bunch of random roto parts for sale

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
heres some pics I took after messing around with what I bought. I only ended up using three rotos mounted high to the left of the hi hat, clamped to my gibraltar rack, for the gig though

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
heres some pics I took after messing around with what I bought. I only ended up using three rotos mounted high to the left of the hi hat, clamped to my gibraltar rack, for the gig though
Cool! Thanks for that. That gives me an idea of how the modification would be.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey BB, this was for the Pink Floyd show correct? I really enjoyed the videos you posted, great playing. So were you already using the rotos in your rig prior to that gig, or did you have to incorporate them in after landing it?

And big respect also for using them and not just playing out the parts on a 4 piece kit! You know that many folks would have said that was all needed or should have taken. I thought it was a necessary touch and sounded just right!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey BB, this was for the Pink Floyd show correct? I really enjoyed the videos you posted, great playing. So were you already using the rotos in your rig prior to that gig, or did you have to incorporate them in after landing it?

And big respect also for using them and not just playing out the parts on a 4 piece kit! You know that many folks would have said that was all needed or should have taken. I thought it was a necessary touch and sounded just right!
I had a set of three that I bought off a kid way back in high school.. And honestly I always thought they were cheesy and needed to be miced anyway to be heard over a band playing in a bar.. So they got tossed in the corner and over the years I lost parts to the stand, And somehow lost a spoke piece for the 8" one.. So after joining the PF band I was on the hunt for some rotos and I was at my local Cleveland drum shop (Stebal drums, great guys) and they had an old roto set that was missing the 10". I bought that but also traded some bassdrum pedal parts to a guy for this generic black set of rotos, And figured Id setup a huge collection of them like sometimes you would see Nick Mason using live, And also you see some of the PF tributes on youtube using more than 3 too... I got to the gig and didnt have the balls to set up all 6 of them, Haha. Mine are a weird arrangement that only has one 8" but two 6" ones.. So it doesnt make much sense to play them that way anyhow

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I had a large kit (8/10/12/13/16/20), I'd set the 8/10 concert toms to the left of the 12" tom. They were mounted on one stand and the main thing was I could do my Neil Peart rolls without anything in the way. I made sure they were properly angled similar to the slope of the 12" and although they both angled left and backwards, the main thing was that each drum was accessible for a smooth fill without any HH, snare or cymbals in the way. Once I set up the drums, then I positioned the rest of the cymbals, HH and snare around them.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well two pages you'd think we'd get another another picture of the 'rig' from I-Rod.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why are you poking the bear JDA? Gee whiz, let him do his thing.

I like all the diversity here on the boards, the world would be a very boring place if everyone had my set and always agreed with my ideas all the time.

rock roll

Reaction score
I've played with my 8" and 10" inbetween and just above the small tom . But I could never fit the 6" into a playable position.
I like the rims idea. But if you go that route then you should at least think of each Roto on its own stand. Then you can really have them where you want them.
I've seen a single Roto tom on a stand but it's always been the bigger ones.
I like em for Santana , police , etc songs. When you don't have a percussionist. Or two. Lol.
Good luck and post what you come up with, I'm interested.

rock roll

Reaction score
You're simply going have to consider that option as the Roto racks suck and positioning in a drum set is worse....obvious in your case with the kit you've shown us.
Search around as there are threads re mounting of roto toms on this forum with a number of innovative ways of mounting them.
I have used a Collarlock system adapted for roto's using any combo of 8/10/12/14/16 black roto's as toms w/ BD/snare etc....and separate 14/18 chrome roto's a la mini tymp combo.
The pic from early 80's w/Milestone bd and snare btw....still have the roto's and mount's/bar(s) not the 'Stone's though....sigh...
bt
A great picture. Classic.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why are you poking the bear JDA? Gee whiz, let him do his thing.

I like all the diversity here on the boards, the world would be a very boring place if everyone had my set and always agreed with my ideas all the time.
I want to see Irods drumset from another view. Maybe he ran out of film? ;)
i can't even tell what's up there.
Brand make of drums, sizes, etc

I'd like some DIVERSE pictures...of the set..

rock roll

Reaction score
Should go back to basics.
Then add once you've explored all possibilities of whats in front of you before adding anything.
Basically out-of-control- unless you make incredible drum set music with all that.

Everything you have there can be played on one snare drum, one bass drum, one hi hat and one crash Ride cymbal.
It's the "notes"..it's not changing the note for just the sake of playing it "somewhere else".
Unless your vocabulary has 3600 letters in it. You could do the same with 12 or 24 "letters".

A Bass drum, three rototoms across the front, a floor tom, a snare drum, a hi hat and two cymbals, You can have have 1700 sounds within just that.

Your imagination appears to be more external. Need it internal. (unless you never plan on moving that rig from that spot)
Have a heck of an imagination so you have that going for ya. ; ) ha)
Mind and imagination, is running outward instead of inward.
It's inefficient. Highly. You see the problem(s) you're detailing/ running into..
It's only going to get worse if you continue (ha!
Need good (drummer drumset) role models or a revamp of who's yours are.

oh, and ..the whole Economy of Motion thing..too
Wow.not nice.
I get what you're saying, I've got a buddy who has what I call an array around the drums.
It gets in the way of the groove, he will constantly change to another cymbal etc mid verse.
But I haven't heard lrod1707 play and He said he's not a giging drummer but even if he was he can play whatever he wants to.
I gig on fairly simple kits , but my house practice kit is bigger.
Also just a question for you...what kind of music do you play?
There is no wrong answer.
Peace brother.

Last edited: